Changing BX23 Fuel Filters takes 3.5 Hours!

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Thought I would spend about 30 minutes changing the fuel filters on my BX23 but while preforming this task, I noticed the air cleaner bracket had broken and needed re-welding. Then I remembered I needed to measure to make a HST fan shield and it was obvious that a wash and a grease job was needed... One thing led to another and this job ended up taking 3.5 hours to finish. I'm beginning to wonder if this new-to-me tractor is going to occupy all my free time. Anyone else experiencing these lengthy repair times?

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You're doing it all wrong. Don't look at repairs and service work as a burdon. Think of it as quality time spent with your tractor. Yes, at times you will be mad at it but even then it will never talk back to you, never argue, never talk to it's other tractor friends behind your back and never ask you for anything. All it will need is a little love (filters, fluid) and maybe a wash and wax every once in a while. You treat it right and it will never let you down.

Of course this is only MHO but in case you can't tell I love my tractors.

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
That is part of my problem. I get a great sense of satisfaction from "piddling" on my tractor. I'm afraid the wife is getting suspicious or maybe jealous.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
One way to look at the maintenance is that is a long-term time saver. It is also a money saver. The more you do now then the less you'll have to do later.

The fan protection is a one-time job. The air cleaner bracket is a four-time job (at least for me). Once you get all the bases covered it will be clear sailing with just fluids and filters from then on out.

Enjoy.