Chainsaw banana bar question

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
I've had this bar new when I bought (1980) my ORANGE:cool: Tanaka chainsaw, never used that bar, it is new. So someone wants to buy the bar and, I have no clue how to price it, I'm told they are a rare collectible. Any thoughts? The saw by the way is still working making firewood and, such. Great tool.
tanaka banana bar.jpg

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Hard to say. I would think it would (while being rare in new/original condition) only be desired by someone who collects and restores Vintage Tanaka Saws. No doubt the length and the number of saws it would fit will play into its value.

Reduced kick back guide bars weren't too popular among owners back in the day, but someone looking for one might give you top dollar for it. What that 'top dollar' is....I have no idea.

Perhaps pose the question on a different forum:

^^^^^^
Has a good chainsaw section with many Vintage Saw enthusiasts.

Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Do You have a need for it?

Do you expect to ever have a need for it?

Have you ever needed a part to make YOUR device work…but cannot get the mfr’r to supply the part?

Is it just taking up room in your garage?

Or do you simply want to make as much money as you can for it without regard as to whether you help someone else solve a parts-availability problem…?

If it were mine…I‘d ask them to pay whatever a similar part might cost on a similar-sized current production saw..…and let them have it.

(I. E. about $15 and postage.)

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Second the motion for ArboristSite.com Lots of very knowledgeable folks there.

And a few jerks. ;)

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Or do you simply want to make as much money as you can for it without regard as to whether you help someone else solve a parts-availability problem…?
Not to answer for the OP but there is no parts availability problem with respect to guide bars. There are any number of manufacturers that make bars with the Tanaka 'pattern' for both old and new saws.

The interest would be for a person who collects or restores Vintage Saws and wanted a period correct OEM guide bar. You would be surprised the market for old saws and original parts.

Poulan has its followers, McCulloch (Mac) and others all have 'loyal to brand' followers that collect Old Saws. So a hard to find item...like a particular guide bar can be worth many times the cost of a new replacement bar and collectors are happy to pay a premium to get what they want.

They understand collecting and restoring old saws is not a charity. Actually a lot of parts 'swapping' or trading goes on between such folks.

If the OP will visit the link I provided and ask there (or other site dealing with chainsaws) he can quickly get a good idea the worth of the part and how desirable (or not) it is.

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
Thanks all for the replies. I'll check out the site suggestion. I've no intention of
using the bar, I think it would instead benefit a collector.