chains and binders

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
currently using straps, however I'm going to switch to chains and binders for the tractor and then will be using my straps for the implements.

I think I will be going overboard on my tie downs but figured it doesn't hurt to double check with the amount of experience on here.

this is what I'm looking at buying.

4x 1/4 to 5/16 in. Chain Load Binder (princessauto.com)

2x 5/16 in. x 20 ft Grade 70 Transport Chain with Grab Hooks (princessauto.com) with the intention to cut them in half so I have one for each corner

my trailer has stake pocket style tie downs that are a PITA, so I'm going to weld something like this
2-1/2 in. Surface-Mount Tie-Down Anchor Ring (princessauto.com) along the top edge so I have more options for tie towns. I will be putting a set of these on the front tractor frame as well.

these are what I currently use 2 in. x 15 ft 5,000 lb Ratchet Tie-Down Strap (princessauto.com)

I will be using 4 corner tie down on the tractor when the back hoe is on as its got tie down loops; when there is no hoe. I will just use one chain in the rear backhoe lower hooks (that's how the dealer had it chained down). Its not required due to weight, however; I will be tossing a strap over whatever is on the loader and on the three point.

Recently our province changed the HTA to allow us to transport personal property without having to have commercial inspections on our trucks and trailers. Previously only RVs were exempt.

if you think I'm out to lunch, or have a suggestion. im all ears (or in this case, all eyes....)

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Looks good. I agree with @old and tired , stay away from those binders you linked. all they will get you is a needed trip to the dentist.

Why are the stake pockets a pain? I like stake pockets, send the hook down the center, loop around one side and hook on top. Easy.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Looks good. I agree with @old and tired , stay away from those binders you linked. all they will get you is a needed trip to the dentist.

Why are the stake pockets a pain? I like stake pockets, send the hook down the center, loop around one side and hook on top. Easy.
its the location of them. also, where the fenders are there are no ties downs anywhere along them,

Reactions: 1 user

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Just another (y) for the ratcheting load binders. Yes, a bit more time consuming but much more reliable.

Reactions: 1 users

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I too am for ratcheting binders - I bought 6 lever binders and they work just fine, but nothing like the ratcheting ones. The lever binders require you to hit the correct length of chain to close itjust right - the ratchet type give you a little more "play"

Just make sure you unscrew the clamp before using!!!! Just like I teach my shop class kids ....... on bar clamps.... first step, unwind the handle so you will have all the threads to work with rather than 2 turns and then out of threads and starting all over again..... as the glue starts to tack up! :rolleyes:

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Think this is a better design

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Ratchet binders on all corners with 5/16" Chains and 10K Lb strap over the floor board. Used to haul my 300 miles door to door between homes and never moved or got loose.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
Picked up 4 of the ratchet binders, but they didn’t have the grade 70 chain. Employee said they were on order.

Ping

Equipment
BX2370-1
Dec 25, 2018
Troy, Ohio
4 ratchet binders and grade 70 5/16” chain for my BX. Though I leave my 20’ chains intact, grab hook ends attached to the trailer and load binders attached to the tractor.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Think this is a better design
Those are the ones I use. I made the switch from straps to chains, with the straps being used on implements now.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
I do not understand why you need the D-rings if you have stake pockets. When you drop the chain next to the pocket, under the pocket and then drop the chain down on the edge of the pocket you are good to go. There is no worries of the safety pin coming off or lost and if you get some slack in the chain the hook will still be hooked to the trailer. I have never seen the D-rings on a step deck nor a flatbed semi. Now on the removable gooseneck trailers there are D-rings but you are also talking a great deal more weight to tie down.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
I do not understand why you need the D-rings if you have stake pockets. When you drop the chain next to the pocket, under the pocket and then drop the chain down on the edge of the pocket you are good to go. There is no worries of the safety pin coming off or lost and if you get some slack in the chain the hook will still be hooked to the trailer. I have never seen the D-rings on a step deck nor a flatbed semi. Now on the removable gooseneck trailers there are D-rings but you are also talking a great deal more weight to tie down.
Not sure if your asking about me adding some d rings or those ones that are posted for the stake pockets. If it’s my original post. It’s because there is about 6’ of trailer with no tie downs. I don’t just haul my tractor with this. I need it for ATVs, lumber, etc.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Hands down, the best binders I have ever used are these,

best-binder.jpg

If you tow a lot, it will pay for itself in saved time rapidly. The main benefit is the 1 foot of slack chain. Set the binder on the trailer, hook the base however you normally would, hook the chain somewhere up to a foot away on the bind side and give it a couple cranks.

Super fast, super secure and no rebinding EVER.

I can't tell you the number of times I had the screw type and snap type bound down only to have a chain settle/pop needing it to be redone a link or two tighter. Also many trips where you "check your binders" along the way and find you need to tighten up another link. With this one, you just give it a couple more clicks.

I don't mess around when it comes to binding things down. When I was a kid, I ran a lowbed for my FIL for a while and my crash coarse in binding included this advice,

"When you can take the trailer off, tip it upside-down and give it a little shake without losing anything, you have it bound down right."