Chain mount for front of L2501

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Since buying the tractor I have been trailering it way more than I thought I would between the cottage and home. I was using straps and they worked good for a while but I noticed some chaffing recently and that did not sit well with me.

I decided to switch to chains but the idea of scraping up my axles was also problematic (I know...it's a tractor it's gonna get scratched...)

Anyhow I saw a thread about a D-ring and that turned into this.

BTW I just got this little plasma cutter and wow has it changed life in the shop. Works fantastic.

Here is the initial set up and with a side view. I probably should have used 3/8 plate but 1/4 should be strong enough.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I could not decide between chain hooks and D rings.

So my solution was.....both.

I also decided to add a top plate to utilize the 4 existing holes and a middle stiffener to help minimize flexing

Attachments

Reactions: 1 users

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Then disaster struck......I was using a #10 cup and had the machine cranked to the max and the cup was glowing red when I set it down on the cool table top it popped and cracked in half. So there I am at 0530 on a Sunday morning with no suitable replacements for my tig torch. :mad:

I typically like using tig when I can. But wasting the day by doing home chores was simply not an option I was content with.

I decided to switch to mig. Keep in mind I am not a welder by any means. I always try to use tig when I can because it looks better, is less messy and smokey, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

Roll out the mig machine.......

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
After a soak in vinegar for a day or so it was ready for top coat.

I had a Quart of Rust-O-Lem bed liner paint that I have been happy with so I decided to use that.

Attachments

Reactions: 4 users

Showmedata

Equipment
LX3310
May 18, 2022
Boulder CO
Looks great. You must have a big honkin' TiG to throw beads that size!

I don't know the soak-in-vinegar trick - what all does that remove?

barts

Equipment
4wd B5100, FEL with Piranaha bar, box blade, log arch, 3 point hitch adaptor
Nice. That should hold it down. Chains definitely last longer in this kind of service than straps do. I usually stick weld stuff that needs to be strong because I'm always nervous about getting proper penetration w/ MIG - that's likely because my Idealarc is so much bigger than my small Miller mig.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia

Vinegar will etch the metal. Doing this will give the paint something to latch on to. Paint will peel more easily if the surface is too smooth.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan

Thanks, but it's not really that big. It's a Thermal arc 185, but I beveled the hook and did multiple passes and then a cover pass to with the mig machine in order to make it look better.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Vinegar will etch the metal. Doing this will give the paint something to latch on to. Paint will peel more easily if the surface is too smooth.
Yes, and it also removes the mill scale (which was my motivation)

Sometimes I use Muriatic acid when I can do it outside, but in the winter I use vinegar cause I can do it in the basement.