Cell Phones

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
I remember when cell phones were almost the size of WW2 walkie-talkies. Technology made them smaller and yet smaller. I've seen them as small as a credit card. Lately they're getting larger and and larger. The wife's latest phone is nearly 5x8! What the @#$%?

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
your not talking about just a cell phone. its a computer (with probably 10X more memory and ability than your laptop or home computer) Its a driven industry that sways with current trends, and 90% of the customers want a combo tablet/ communications device. The other 10% just wanna look cool............

Tomcat

Equipment
B7000 4WD, RS1(?) rototiller, Konik 125 ATV
Nov 19, 2014
Thailand
your not talking about just a cell phone. its a computer (with probably 10X more memory and ability than your laptop or home computer) Its a driven industry that sways with current trends, and 90% of the customers want a combo tablet/ communications device. The other 10% just wanna look cool............
I just want to make a call!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think you should be allowed to shoot any azzhole that is driving and talking or texting on a cell phone just MHO you understand

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
dtbprc, you're exposing your limited knowledge of forum use.

See what olthumpa stated?

On the top line of the home page you see ARTICLES FORUM CLASSIFIEDS VIDEOS. Click on "forum" then make your choice of what you wish to engage in. If you don't like anything but specific tractor communication DO NOT click on OFF TOPIC, you'll be offended again!

Last edited:

andmel

Equipment
L2850 / L3901 LB / G1800
Dec 17, 2014
concord, VA, USA
I used to work for Ericsson (prior to their merger with Sony) and I remember the downward trend in phone size. I guess with the demand to pack so many functional 'calories' into one now, you gotta make a little more room to hold it all.:eek:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I think you should be allowed to shoot any azzhole that is driving and talking or texting on a cell phone just MHO you understand
I could not agree more! Every time I drive anywhere in AZ, I have at least one close call with someone who is on the phone, texting or googling something instead of driving. Should be open season.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I remember when cell phones were almost the size of WW2 walkie-talkies. Technology made them smaller and yet smaller. I've seen them as small as a credit card. Lately they're getting larger and and larger. The wife's latest phone is nearly 5x8! What the @#$%?
I bought the first bag phone, you could have thrown that someone and killed them!

The the flips....then the flats.......then they got real small, hell I had a hard enough time SEEING the #!@$## numbers much less hitting the little buggers!

I am glad the phones have got bigger, I can enlarge the text and see pictures mo better! Does take up a good chunk of pocket space!!!!:D:D:D

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
I am like TC, I just want to make a call. That is why I have stuck with my mil standard, Samsung Rugby. You can drop it on a concrete floor or in water and it keeps working.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
That little flat chunk of technology is now my lifeline, i use it as an alarm in the morning,check my email, reference vehicle repairs/wiring diagrams and parts lookup. I order parts , calculate my bills and applied taxes and its my link for debit card and credit cards. Also book appontments and occasionally answer phone calls. Pictures of difficult to identify parts, it looks around corners and illuminates dark areas.

Makes me wanna ram textdrivers though. I really should punch my buddy when he does it.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
That little flat chunk of technology is now my lifeline, i use it as an alarm in the morning,check my email, reference vehicle repairs/wiring diagrams and parts lookup. I order parts , calculate my bills and applied taxes and its my link for debit card and credit cards. Also book appontments and occasionally answer phone calls. Pictures of difficult to identify parts, it looks around corners and illuminates dark areas.

Makes me wanna ram textdrivers though. I really should punch my buddy when he does it.

I have learnt me how to get stuff RIGHT at the grocery store.......wife use to describe the "low fat blah blah" and somehow I ALWAYS GOT IT WRONG!!!!

now I take a picture of the empty and booo-yah - technology at it's best!!!!

Now were is my phone?...mmmmmm......:D:eek::)

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
If you're ever in a wreck,, imediantly look at the time and get the other persons cell #.. . unless you are the idiot on the phone at the time.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Started with a bag phone for work. Then went to the brick :rolleyes: felt like one, bout the size of one. Was always the last one to move up to a newer model. If it made calls, then I was happy. Usually when I finally got one with the new tech, the phone would be outdated the week after I got it. And had 10 newer versions ahead of it. Now I carry two phones. One supplied by work, and one for personal use. Personal phone sits on vibrate and gets checked every once in a while. Use it more for the internet.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I have 3 kids ages 22, 22, and 15 (twins in the mix there, you guys figure out where:D)

Our kids got cell phones when they started varsity sports - all we needed was text and phone - simple.

Twins went to Cornell - now need "smart" phones to keep in touch with profs, coaches, etc. by email while away from laptops.

Now we all have the "smart" ones, but this dumb ole farmboy is better at texting than anything else. Now the darn screen buttons are SO LITTLE!! :confused:

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
I could not agree more! Every time I drive anywhere in AZ, I have at least one close call with someone who is on the phone, texting or googling something instead of driving. Should be open season.
Or at least just a little "NASCAR" tap in the rear quarter . I see stupid stuff like that every day . That's why I'm happiest when I'm out playing on the tractor . No traffic , no assholes, and if its in my way , move it or cut it down . Great way to relieve frustrations .

RIDETOEAT

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4600, LA764, LP Blade,
Dec 26, 2014
Southern Indiana
It seems so obvious that if a cell phone is moving more than 10mph it should disable it's self. Some one or a class action suit will come along before much longer and that will drive the change. The technology is already in them and the makers and carriers are aware of the danger their products present so it's ripe for a court challenge. I hate tort and liability cases but in this case I hate distracted drivers worse.

Had one try to run into us just last night in a parking lot at TSC, I had the right of way but her cell phone in her ear prevented her from processing the situation correctly and she turned right in front of me without even stopping.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Step daughter said they are making something that can be installed in your car that will disable a cell phone if the car is in drive and moving,, I am assuming that it is a white noise generator jamming device with a VERY limited range since jamming any sorts of communications is illegal/prohibited according to the Florida Citrus Commission. But then things change and I think it would be a wonderful thing if you have kids driving your car!!!!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Step daughter said they are making something that can be installed in your car that will disable a cell phone if the car is in drive and moving,, I am assuming that it is a white noise generator jamming device with a VERY limited range since jamming any sorts of communications is illegal/prohibited according to the Florida Citrus Commission. But then things change and I think it would be a wonderful thing if you have kids driving your car!!!!

they have those those devices that "jam" all those frequencies - I reallllly was going to buy one for my classroom....till I realized , it is VERY illegal in this fantastic country, and it did cost a few zeros......

http://www.cell-jammers.com/gsm-cdma-3g-jammers.html

damn i would love to see the kids faces when I flick the switch....:D

then again I want the little collars like they had in the old star trek from the 60's, I hit a button on my PAD and it shocks the shyte out of the smart ass kids that aint paying attention!!!!:D:D Then his $600 falls to the floor and oooppppsss, Did I do that ?

Ya'll stop laughing now ya hear!:):)