CAUTION: New Scam!!

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
There's a new scam going around. I got a letter from a collection agency saying I owe paypal $186.20. I have not used my PayPal account in 2 years. I called the agency and they said if I don't pay they will ding my credit. I called PayPal and was told I do not owe them a dime. They also said the scam works like this. A fake company contracts with a legitimate collection agency to collect a false dept by the scammers. If they collect, the agency gets 50%. If they don't collect, then nobody is out any money. Beware!!!

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4060 HSTC, LA805, L2195A, BH92, .5TBB, PF, 12K TAT,
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
There's a new scam going around. I got a letter from a collection agency saying I owe paypal $186.20. I have not used my PayPal account in 2 years. I called the agency and they said if I don't pay they will ding my credit. I called PayPal and was told I do not owe them a dime. They also said the scam works like this. A fake company contracts with a legitimate collection agency to collect a false dept by the scammers. If they collect, the agency gets 50%. If they don't collect, then nobody is out any money. Beware!!!
Some of our business clients have called on a similar one. Usually it is UPS or FEDEX (supposedly) trying to collect past due charges through a collection agency. In these particular cases the collection agency was bogus. When asked their Federal ID there was a click.

Be careful out there!

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
Got one yesterday from a cell phone provider that I used years ago. [No longer with them like 15 yrs] said that they over billed me $189.xx . Said to text them and they would get info from me to settle up.
Yeah right I'am going to give them info alright.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Got one yesterday from a cell phone provider that I used years ago. [No longer with them like 15 yrs] said that they over billed me $189.xx . Said to text them and they would get info from me to settle up.
Yeah right I'am going to give them info alright.
I got that one on my company phone from someone allegedly with the provider that the company uses. Told them to call the lady in the home office who is in charge of cell phones or just credit it to the account since that account is thousands per month for hundreds of phones. Of course he wouldn’t do that.’ Dude kept on with demanding my personal information to pay me. Finally told him that scam ain’t going to work on anyone using a phone provided by their employer and he gave up. Felt kind of stupid I took it as a potentially legit call for as long as I did.

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
Some of our business clients have called on a similar one. Usually it is UPS or FEDEX (supposedly) trying to collect past due charges through a collection agency. In these particular cases the collection agency was bogus. When asked their Federal ID there was a click.

Be careful out there!
In this case, I looked up the collection agency. They are a large national legit company. I informed them of what paypal said and they said they would " look into it"!!
Not holding my breath.

Dwight Bremer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4060 HSTC, LA805, L2195A, BH92, .5TBB, PF, 12K TAT,
May 16, 2021
Hardwick, MN
On a rare occasion, I have considered what a thankless job scamming must be. Studies show that a .1% "success rate" is considered good. Direct phone sales calls on "qualified leads" are only slightly better.

Job satisfaction!

motionclone

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L345DT with Lp mower, forks and grapple thumb, Bobcat 337 Midi Ex
May 4, 2018
Maine
If you guys would just message me your credit card numbers ill put them on the "do not scam" list...for a small fee of course.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
It's a shame to have a phone and half afraid to answer it most of the time.. Be nice if we could go back to before high tech cell phones and computers! We would be in such a better place..

Only problem I see with that is I wouldn't get to chat with all you nice folks.

DaveFromMi

Equipment
L3901, 5' Bush Hog
Apr 14, 2021
Indiana
I get a robo call once a month from Rachael from Cardholder Services. She is concerned that my card has been hacked and needs my info to clear it up. Bless her heart.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
I only deal with it if it's in writing. If they can't put it in writing, they don't want it badly enough. If they DO put it in writing, I have a record of their lies.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I tell 'them', hang on batteries dying on this line , please call me back at xxx-xxx-xxxx ASAP...., thanks
the number I give is the local police NON emergency line.....

FBJR

Equipment
2012 L45, 1998 Gehl 5635, 2001 Bobcat 331D
Jun 30, 2020
On the Ridge
Got a call from "apple" saying my account had been compromised and they needed to remote my phone to clear it up (I don't even have an apple) ( my wife fell for this and screwed up a bunch of stuff)

Put it on speaker walking through walmart so my son could listen. He kept givng me the code to let him in and just repeated S C A M back to him several times, I mean a good 4-5 times, he never got it. His english was so bad I bet he figured it was legit. He finally went away but we were laughing good by then.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
When I used to get phone calls from live sales people I used to answer "County Jail". When the sales person asked for me I told them that inmates were only allowed phone privileges between 5pm and 8pm on Tuesdays and Thursdays and to call back then. Sometimes they did call back and I told them that the person they wanted was in solitary confinement and could not talk.

Reactions: 1 user

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I got an email from a guy I know wanting to know if I had a PayPal or Amazon account. I relied NO so he said he needed to send his college for her birthday (exact words). And asked me to cash app what I could, he needed $300, because his bank account was tied up. This guy is a multimillionaire and probably has a dozen accounts so definitely a scam. Somehow they got his email address.