Caught Fire!

Dcar72

Equipment
L4701
May 6, 2022
atlanta
Check under your hoods.
I just bought a 2019 L4701 from a used "as is" dealer with good reviews. I love tractor used it just every day for a month then the last day I parked it I came back to a chard tractor hood. I got lucky but was baffled as to how it caught fire. Opened the hood and there's birds nest on the manifold that burned up some hoses and the electrical sensor. The sellers says no way it came from him that way. Now I have to replace hose lines no big deal but I had to buy a new $287 sensor that melted. The wires going into are good but the plastic housing is melted. They want $1200 for a whole new wire harness that is not needed I just need the plug and wiring position. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm surprised birds can get under this hood it's really tight.
If I cant get just a small plastic male harness then I will have to hot glue them in.
ALSO the the box has 1 2 3 need to know which color wire goes to 1 2 3?
Thanks for the help

Attachments

• Wow
Reactions: 1 users

lmichael

Equipment
Kubota G2160
Apr 23, 2021
Rockford IL area
Bird and rodent nests (squirrels in particular) are terribly destructive. In my subdivision here there have been more fires resulting in terrible losses (up to near total loss) of the homes because of nests between chimney trim and actual chimney on fireplaces. 3 alone right across the street from me. one in a friend's home burned the entire center of the house to the ground!

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: The sellers says no way it came from him that way

Sounds true, seeing how you used the tractor every day for a month......

A lot of birds can easily build a nest in less than a day.

Worst vermin for damages are RED squirrels...

Reactions: 3 users

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
This is a good lesson for me...I never think to check under the hood for birds. I do on the small aircraft I fly, they can build a nest in a day when a plane is parked out on the tarmac.

Now just to remember to check my 4701.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
Birds and mice can build a sizeable nest very quickly. Park out in the open with the hood up.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Mating season. Nest real estate must be at a premium to go under a hood.

One of many ways to fix. Need a copy of "L3301, L3901, L4701 Workshop Manual." Free copy at Kubotabooks.com. Last section in WSM, Electrical, has wiring diagram for the L4701, with conductor color coding. Can use this to match the component and conductor pin numbers.

Take measurements for the connector plug. Find a replacement from an automotive connector supply outfit. First search-point would be Japanese automotive connectors, 3-pin.

Damaged insulation on conductors. Better to cut back to good copper and insulation. Get automotive wire, same gauge, stranded, basic color to match old conductor. Finding a stripe color would be difficult and not worth the hassle. Inline crimp with marine-grade, adhesive sealing for air tight connection. No plastic crimps because of heat under hood, and will corrode over time.

Something weird with the red conductor. Special crimp, thermocouple, or something? Because the component is likely a sensor this needs checking out.

Good luck.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: red wire/connector... looks like the remains of 'triple hump' water proofing. keeps water out of the actual socket of the fitting.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
re: The sellers says no way it came from him that way

Sounds true, seeing how you used the tractor every day for a month......

A lot of birds can easily build a nest in less than a day.

Worst vermin for damages are RED squirrels...

What Jay said - that looks like a Carolina Wren's nest - they can make a nest in your back pocket IF you stand still long enough!
1651865801326.png

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Since it was a fire, did you check your homeowners or other insurance?

Reactions: 2 users

Dcar72

Equipment
L4701
May 6, 2022
atlanta
I agree pretty scary to think you have to check. Why dont i have to worry about my cars or do i?
anyone have my wiring solution.
Mating season. Nest real estate must be at a premium to go under a hood.

One of many ways to fix. Need a copy of "L3301, L3901, L4701 Workshop Manual." Free copy at Kubotabooks.com. Last section in WSM, Electrical, has wiring diagram for the L4701, with conductor color coding. Can use this to match the component and conductor pin numbers.

Take measurements for the connector plug. Find a replacement from an automotive connector supply outfit. First search-point would be Japanese automotive connectors, 3-pin.

Damaged insulation on conductors. Better to cut back to good copper and insulation. Get automotive wire, same gauge, stranded, basic color to match old conductor. Finding a stripe color would be difficult and not worth the hassle. Inline crimp with marine-grade, adhesive sealing for air tight connection. No plastic crimps because of heat under hood, and will corrode over time.

Something weird with the red conductor. Special crimp, thermocouple, or something? Because the component is likely a sensor this needs checking out.

Good luck.
thank you jim you are awesome.

Dcar72

Equipment
L4701
May 6, 2022
atlanta
Ok I obtained my new $250 plus 41mpp1-3 sensor from MESSICK online. Did a quick part search to find out if I had the part number (melted) it would have cost me $45. So do your homework!
Now I need a 3 pin plug that will fit. That way I don't get ripped off again for $1200.
Cant find part number for it. Not in book. Any help would be apprecitated.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
I leave my hood open when I'm not using it (for long periods). I also pull the cover of my steering wheel away from the dash. Seems that they don't like the open air.

Started my tractor a day ago and a mouse ran out from under it....

Seems spring and fall mice like to build new nests... neighbor had his tractor to start to smoke and by the time he stopped the nest was on fire....

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I leave my hood open when I'm not using it (for long periods). I also pull the cover of my steering wheel away from the dash. Seems that they don't like the open air.

Started my tractor a day ago and a mouse ran out from under it....

Seems spring and fall mice like to build new nests... neighbor had his tractor to start to smoke and by the time he stopped the nest was on fire....
I leave those cute little packets of "DeCon" style mousie food on my tractor, when it is unattended.

Dieseldonato

Equipment
B7510 hydro, yanmar ym146, cub cadet 1450, 582,782
Mar 15, 2022
Pa

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Scroll to the bottom of the page for the terminals and seals. You can take the part numbers and search for whatever is the cheapest place to get them.

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
Much of the insulation on wires is now a soy based product, there are arguments about these products attracting rodents and the conclusions are biased by special interests. My thought is that a food product isn't a good idea under the hood of any vehicle.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
There was a bird nest with eggs in the loader joystick control housing for my BX23 last year. I was taking off the housing to inspect the lines and there it was! Never saw the culprit come or go! It is such a tiny opening, making a great place to raise a small family. :) I still have the nest! I wonder if I could offer it as a rental unit?

Dieseldonato

Equipment
Mar 15, 2022
Pa
Much of the insulation on wires is now a soy based product, there are arguments about these products attracting rodents and the conclusions are biased by special interests. My thought is that a food product isn't a good idea under the hood of any vehicle.
Till they are done with the refining process it doesn't much matter that it was soy based, it's more or less indistinguishable from the insulation made from oil. I don't personally see the benefit as it's a much more costly product to produce but I doubt it's origins have much to do with the squirrels chewing on it.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Ok I obtained my new $250 plus 41mpp1-3 sensor from MESSICK online. Did a quick part search to find out if I had the part number (melted) it would have cost me $45. So do your homework!
Now I need a 3 pin plug that will fit. That way I don't get ripped off again for $1200.
Cant find part number for it. Not in book. Any help would be apprecitated.
Great you took the time to post those details. Might help someone in the future... (y)

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Was walking my dogs one evening and came around the corner down near my tool shed....to see my Scag Zero Turn mower completely engulfed in fire! Had already gotten to the fuel tanks (with 10 gallons of gas), no way to put it out.

It is thought that mice chewed a wire and caused a dead short.

Before:

Lil'Blue1.jpg

After:

Scag Fire3.jpg

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 2 users