Cattle lost in typhoon

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
43 sailors missing.... Pretty tough being on a ship in 130MPH winds!

Hard to imagine 5800 head of cattle on a ship. New Zealand to Japan would take 30 days or so. That's a lot of hay and grain, and then all that processed to be removed.

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I saw the headlines earlier today and did not read the article as I was leaving for work. I found it hard to believe there were that many cows on a ship. I did not realize it was a 30 day trip to Japan either, which makes it even more fascinating.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Fascinating is one word, the logistics would be interesting. Gruesome is another word. Supposedly these cattle were being exported for breeding purposes. Livestock export from NZ for slaughter was banned a few years back after animal welfare groups raised the alarm about the disgusting conditions which caused many cattle and sheep to die en route. I think the reason that export for breeding was allowed to continue was the the animals were supposedly worth more than those going to slaughter (or "harvest" as some retail meat packages call it) so were more likely to have better conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I like my steak as much as any carnivore, but I also hope that it had a nice life and only one bad moment.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I think it was 'Mighty Ships', a TV show , years ago, that showed one of these 'mega meat haulers' for an hour. It was neat to watch, from getting the cattle on....to unloading. details like auto feeders, VENTING , real important !!, 'cleanup in aisle #3', etc.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I read that and all I could think of was a line from Mac the Knife
Oh, the shark, babe, has such teeth, dear
And he shows them pearly white

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
I think it was 'Mighty Ships', a TV show , years ago, that showed one of these 'mega meat haulers' for an hour. It was neat to watch, from getting the cattle on....to unloading. details like auto feeders, VENTING , real important !!, 'cleanup in aisle #3', etc.
Jay - I had to look up cattle ships on Google. had no idea of such a thing.

I'd like to see that show....

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Jay - I had to look up cattle ships on Google. had no idea of such a thing.

I'd like to see that show....
I
43 sailors missing.... Pretty tough being on a ship in 130MPH winds!

Hard to imagine 5800 head of cattle on a ship. New Zealand to Japan would take 30 days or so. That's a lot of hay and grain, and then all that processed to be removed.

The news report I read said expected transit time was 17 days.

Apparenty they had an engine failure so were drifting and unable to control the vessel.

I would bet they dump the processed feed into the sea. Might be appreciated by sea creatures, do not know.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
A "friend" was flying a plane to Hawaii in the military and his military wife was jump seating along. The copilot wandered off and another wife happened to wander up seconds after the pilot "vented a beef & cheese." His wife, in the jumpseat behind him tactfully elbowed him to which he leaned forward and said, "Yup! A cattle boat! You can smell 'em all the way up here." The other wife smiled and seemed impressed but then left the cockpit.

;)

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
Interesting radio interview today about bulk shipping live animals to overseas markets...

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
John, thanks for posting that link. Very informative and revealing. The World Trade Origination has a lot of control in such things, and it points out how the receiver of the livestock can treat them much differently then the seller.

JohnDB

Equipment
M4500DT
Jun 9, 2018
NZ
John, thanks for posting that link. Very informative and revealing. The World Trade Origination has a lot of control in such things, and it points out how the receiver of the livestock can treat them much differently then the seller.
Thanks D2. I posted it because I suspected that a TV show such as "Mighty Ships" would probably only show the sanitised version of livestock exports instead of the reality. In my experience most stock farmers have concern for animal welfare (in transit and at the other end) but some don't, or don't want to know.