Carport for temporary tractor storage

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
Looking at upgrading to a B2650 TLB with mower. Unfortunately I don't have a great spot to store it right now. I expect to have a spot in a garage for it hopefully sometime next year, but I have some projects I could use it for right now. Thinking about getting a carport for now, adding some walls on three sides, maybe all the way down or maybe just close to let air through, and then a flap on the open side.

I also have a 16' landscape trailer that sits out in the sun all summer. In the winter I have a pole building I can keep it in. But I was thinking I could use the carport for summer storage of trailer and tractor until I have a garage for the tractor, at which point the carport would still be useful for the trailer and firewood.

While I'd like to put it up somewhere where it can stay long term, I'm not sure I can. So wherever I put it up, I may need to move it in a year or so. For that reason, I don't want to pour a pad for it.

Anyone ever set up something like this for that purpose? Any advice or lessons learned?

Thanks

Last edited:

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Look at a Clearspan building. Farm Tek sells them. I have one but it's a bit bigger than a carport, in fact quite a bit bigger as in 100 feet long x 42 feet wide x 16 feet high. They have them in all sizes. Easy to put up (my wife and I put it up about 15 years ago with the help of a front end loader. Been a great investment and unlike a building on a footer or a slab (mine has a laser graded sand floor), it's not taxable as real estate because it's not considered a permanent building. Keep my tractors in it, all my hay tools, lawnmowers and my RV in the winter, even round bales for the cattle.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
I have a carport that has been closed in on three sides that I use for storage. It works great for storing a trailer and odds and ends. They are kinda flimsy until tied down so use lots of cross bracing if you do move it later.r:)

vic gerbasi

Equipment
M110 L3300
Feb 19, 2016
dugald mb canada
you can have the container-best idea-placed by movers just remember at which end you want the doors when put on the trailer for when they slide it off

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
I would think in the summertime those overseas containers get hotter than a fox in a forest fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I built 4, yes.. four, 9 by 12 'tractor sheds' made from 2by4s,plywood walls, tin roofs. They cost 500 Canucks for all materials, take a day to build.
EASILY moved with my forklift, so a tractor with loader can do it. If you need to drag it to move it. temporaily screw 2by6 or 2by8 to tie the sill plates then attach rope/chain to bottom corners. Easy to pull. Horse sheds are pulled this way all the time up here.

Jay

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
I built 4, yes.. four, 9 by 12 'tractor sheds' made from 2by4s,plywood walls, tin roofs. They cost 500 Canucks for all materials, take a day to build.
EASILY moved with my forklift, so a tractor with loader can do it. If you need to drag it to move it. temporaily screw 2by6 or 2by8 to tie the sill plates then attach rope/chain to bottom corners. Easy to pull. Horse sheds are pulled this way all the time up here.

Jay
Would you mind posting a picture of one?

mmcneil

Equipment
L3901 HST
Mar 19, 2019
Rome,Ga
I’m about to put up a 12’x21’ metal carport also. Client I was working for gave it to me before they sold there house.

totitan

Equipment
L2501, loader, field mower, back blade
Jul 19, 2019
Kiowa, Colorado
Mine parks outside just like they do at Front Range Kubota. Next year I will build a 50 x 40 shop and it will finally get to come inside.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
shed1.jpg
here's one quick picture of the sheds.
walls are 12' long so 7 2by4 studs, nailed onto sill plates made from 2 pcs 2by4x12'.
roofing is 5 pcs of 10' sheets, cut in half.
trusess are old design, new one has btm chord on the flat..easier to make,cheaper, faster and easy to install !

Jay

Last edited:

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
I built an R-panel shed for my pontoon boat using 4” square tubing, 4” C-channel for purlins, girts and rafters, and R-panel for $1200. Used the PHD to drill holes, stood the square tubing in the holes and poured quick-crete in the holes (but gravel would also work if you expect to move it later.)
I welded the purlins/girts but you could bolt or screw them to the uprights, then screwed the R-panel to the purlns/girts/rafters.

It’s 30’ long by 14’ wide by 14’ high, using 15’ (roof) and 10’ R-panels (sides) which left the wall-bottoms 2’ off the ground to allow for wind. Open on the south end.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yeah for a BX it will work fine cover 3 sides and you are good to go

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Greenville....looks like that tractor is beyond protecting the finish.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
It's a 1958 Allis-Chalmers D-14, 'Troy', 1st one of 4 I've owned. Sat in 'leantoo' shed for 30 years, took 2 weeks of oil and patience to break the stuck engine free. Has run like a top since then ! It'll never have a 'base/clear' paint job as this is a daily, working tractor.Sure, it'd be nice to 'make it pretty' but the BX23S will not do the grunt work this D-14 does.
Everything has it's purpose....
Jay

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Greenville....looks like that tractor is beyond protecting the finish.

Seat folded so the cats don't congregate on it...lol
Gosh - you guys are a tough crowd. Sometimes older tractors wear their work clothes.

My 66 year old 'Moline lives in a car port, and doesn't look brand-fired new after thousands of hours (no hour meter), but better than it did when we used it everyday....

My Dad is driving after I did some governor work on it before bringing it home to my house. I've driven that since age 6....

I backed a manure spreader down 160 feet of barn at 7, since we didn't have a barn cleaner. At 12 or so, pulled a small school bus full of kids out (try that today), and also got an empty cement truck out. After cows were gone, pulled 40 face cords of firewood every year.

Honestly, the Moline is barely worth more than scrap value at 7,000 pounds or so.

But because of that old fart, I will always remember my father, grandfather, being a dairy farmer, and drive my vehicles with my thumbs on the outside of the steering wheel, all of which are priceless.....:cool:

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh, the Moline is as old as me but in better shape ! Yes, I still have both thumbs ! Drove CJ-5s for years.. they have 'quick response' steering wheels !!
One of the other orange tractors has a full loader on it. It's only job is to lift 1500# pumpkin mid October,rest of the time she sits in her shed.
When you notice the tape measure ain't so long, you appreciate stuff more, and realize shiny new paint isn't that important.