can't get pittman arm back on

estodd

Equipment
l245f
Apr 29, 2010
georgia
Hello All,
I have rebuilt my steering box on my Kubota L245F and all turned out good except for the fact that i cannot get the pitman arm back on the sector shaft. it will go about halfway but then no more.
Yes I have made sure the alignment marks line up on the shaft and the arm but still no luck.
Anyone have any ideas?
Could it be possible that the shaft is rotated 180 degrees out?
thanks everyone

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
If I remember when I did it on my tractor I had to press the pitman arm back on. I think I used a giant C clamp to do it.

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I've only done toyota gear box's and I drove them home with the nut and a BFW (big fuck'n wrench).

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
Mine didn't want to go back on all the way either, and I was using the original sector gear and pitman arm. I used an impact gun to get mine pushed on to where it needed to be.

Make sure all the splines are clean, and use a little bit of lubrication before going wild with an impact though.

Robert

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
These things are, for the most part, pressed on. I have broken pullers removing the arm and it's damn scary. One of them broke and flew across the work shop and punched a hole in the dry wall :eek:

estodd

Equipment
l245f
Apr 29, 2010
georgia
the pitman arm is the original. I did not replace it.
the sector shaft is also original.
the only thing I replaced was the steering shaft, bearings and ball nut.

Orange Tractors

Equipment
L175 w/Woods L59, Allis Chalmers WD
Jul 19, 2009
Butler, MO
the pitman arm is the original. I did not replace it.
the sector shaft is also original.
the only thing I replaced was the steering shaft, bearings and ball nut.
Like I said, I used an impact. The one I used isn't very strong; it won't break lugnuts loose on my old 3/4 ton truck, but it worked better for pressing the pitman arm back on than trying to use a socket and breaker bar when I couldn't hold the steering box steady.

Robert