Can't find bolts for weight bracket?

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I bought a used weight bracket for the front bumper of my M series tractor but NOBODY has bolts to mount it? There are 4 bolts currently holding a bumper guard where the bracket will attach. I removed one and it is too short for the width of the bracket. The bolt is 16mm X 1.5 and maybe 2.5 inches long. The bracket is about 5 inches thick and the bumper is tapped for a fine thread metric bolt and maybe 2.5 inches deep.

Three Kubota dealerships have said they couldn't help. I've been to several other hardware specialty shops and the length needed is always the problem. McMasterCarr.com is a big supplier and they also can't help. I found a parts diagram on-line that list a "Bolt/Bar Kit" for a front weight bumper so I took it to the local Kubota dealership. The order code is M8073 but they said that wasn't an order number and couldn't find the kit in their computer.

Does ANYONE know where I can buy this kit or get 4 bolts about 7-8 inches long?

Orange man

Equipment
Kubota L2501 LA525 loader , woods prd6000 mower, Land pride RB 1672
Jul 23, 2014
WNY
Did you try Fastenal? they list a m16x1.5 x180 bolt. That m8073 is a good wholegoods number, it has to be ordered through sales dept.

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
Did you try Fastenal? they list a m16x1.5 x180 bolt. That m8073 is a good wholegoods number, it has to be ordered through sales dept.
I went to Fastenal but their longest bolt was about 3" in this size. Maybe they can order it? I'll check on it and the previous web site posted.

Thanks

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
Checked the KLJack site but couldn't find metric. Called Fastenal and they are able to order the 16X1.5X180 which is 7+ inches but only has 1.5" of thread on the end. I'm not sure if that would be strong enough for 500 lbs of suitcase weights. I'm going to measure more closely this weekend to see what I'm working with.

Another option that I'm considering is to run a smaller bolt all the way through the bumper and put a nut/washer on the other side. I hate to mess up the threading inside the bumper but its no good to me if I can't find a bolt to screw in.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
You need to specify you want the higher grade bolts when ordering. Going to be expensive. Running a smaller bolt is just asking for trouble,unless close fit, you give the part oppurtunity to move, in a sense creating a shear. Better off to drill out to next imperial size and use grade 8 bolts/nuts. Would be more financially friendly :)

Ok, after looking at1/2" grade 5 bolts the shear strength is 20,430 lbs at threads,28000 or so at shank. So ram some sae bolts through there and forget about it. I would. Fine thread will clamp tighter. Harder to find though.

Drilling would be minimal as 16mm is darn close to 5/8"

Last edited:

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
Ok, after looking at1/2" grade 5 bolts the shear strength is 20,430 lbs at threads,28000 or so at shank. So ram some sae bolts through there and forget about it. I would. Fine thread will clamp tighter. Harder to find though.

Drilling would be minimal as 16mm is darn close to 5/8"
OK, let me be sure I understand what your saying. Find a standard bolt (non-metric) that is approximately the diameter of the 16mm (5/8). Drill the thread pattern out of the bumper so they will fit. Get the highest tensile strength I can find. Fine thread if possible. Slap some washers and nuts on the bolt and tighten it up.

I'm good with that.

I'd rather buy the bolt kit for a M series front weight bracket if I could find one, but I can't. So I'm good with that.

FTG-05

Equipment
L4330 w/FEL, RTV-XG850 and ZD326S
Jul 21, 2013
TN
Looking up the bolt part number above indicates your looking for a 16X1.5X200 metric bolt. There are several places on line that have these, about $12-$15 each - ouch!

Fastenal has them only to 180 mm length and in Class 8.8.

I would get a minimum Class 10.9 bolts and preferably Class 12.9 if I could get them.

Last edited:

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
The first diagram is exactly what I need. Very much appreciated Wolf Man.

Is there an on-line way of ordering from home or will I need to go to the dealership?

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
I went to Coleman's website and entered the part numbers from your diagram and sure enough, the description matched and they were in stock. 4 bolts with shipping will cost me more than I paid for the bracket but I got a really good buy on the bracket so no worries there.

I'll wait till Monday and call and see if they can confirm the size before buying but I'm closer than I've been. Appreciate the help.

Orangetractortalk ROCKS!

huntersprings

Equipment
M4800
Dec 7, 2014
Taft, TN USA
Bolts are on the way from Coleman. Very courteous and helpful. He went and pulled one of the bolts and measured it at a little over 8 inches. Should work by my measurements.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I think there are 3 Coleman stores in the Greater Kansas City area. A tech. for one of their stores is a member here.

I've driven up there (about 35 miles one way) to get parts NOW, and the CORRECT parts. Nice to have them close by.