Can't be right!!!

Dale Burford

Equipment
Kubota M9540HD
Sep 24, 2020
Bristol Georgia
I own a 2008 Kubota M9540HD. I was having problems with my 3 pt hitch leaking down. Removed the lift assist cylinders and disassembled them. As suspected the O rings on both pistons were shot. Went to Kubota dealer about 30 miles away and he said he could not sell just the O rings had to buy the whole kit. I asked what was included in the kit. His answer 1 rubber bushing 2 rubber o rings and a composite collar that goes around the piston. Here's why I posted this. The Price $100. I need O rings for both cylinders so $200 dollars for 6 little pieces of rubber and 2 composite collars. The complete kit witch only adds a metal bushing and a small lock ring adds another $100 dollars. The same size diameter O rings are less than 10 dollars at the auto parts store. Local dealer says that he can't break kits open to sell. He has no idea if any other o ring will work. Any ideas out there on where I can get these pieces of rubber for a FAIR price. Don't need the collars they are in good shape. Thanks for any help. New to the forum and first post sorry it was so long but this is absolute robbery !!!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
A $45,000 tractor and you're griping about $200?

No seriously, the kit is supplied by someone else, kubota packages it in their packaging (dunno who makes the kit parts). Thus, the manufacturer sells the part to kubota, then kubota inspects, then packages the pieces, and adds a little markup to cover their costs, pretty much how all parts are sold (unless it's direct from the manufacturer which is rare), then the dealer marks it up about 20-30% to keep their lights on so you and I have support for our equipment when we need it.

option #2 is to find a local hydraulic shop and have them rebuild them for you.

In this area, hydraulic shops are running about $170 per cylinder to rebuild them which includes labor and parts, sometimes they paint them (and usually the wrong color). Usually they use universal kit parts, which are about $15 worth of stuff. And they stay backed up, in our case a couple weeks during this time of year, 3-4 during the middle of summer, but there aren't but about 3 maybe 4 dedicated shops in a 100mi radius so they have plenty of work to keep them going. If you have a tractor, they're usually gonna put you on the back burner behind the dump truck cylinders trackhoe cylinders and a bunch of other stuff, unless you tell them you're a farmer and in the middle of farming. Then maybe they'll get it out in a week or so.

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
Your industrial supply store should have inch as well as metric O rings. Also you may have a place that rebuilds hydraulic cylinders who will have and sell rebuild kits.

Dale Burford

Equipment
Kubota M9540HD
Sep 24, 2020
Bristol Georgia
Thanks magic man I will check with them. My biggest problem is how thick is the piston o ring. The other o rings are still in place so I think they can match them but this year model used 2 o rings on the piston in the same slot. One is supposed to hold the other in place. Now Kubota replaces the 2 with 1 larger o ring so I'll just have to see what I can find. Thanks so much. And to LugBolt I understand keeping the lights on and everything but 200 dollars compared to 10 is crazy. Also have to change hyd fluid and filters oil also so there's another 300. i'm just a small farmer in south Georgia and here every penny counts. But also thank you for the info.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
My father used to say 'if you can afford to buy a caddy, you can afford to pay for the repairs'. That being said, yes $200 for $10 worth of Orings is outrageous BUT the 'system' is setup to sell 'packages' NOT single nuts, bolts, orings, etc....As others have said, check out local hydraulic shops. I don't know the size of cylinders but 5 years ago I could have TWO cylinders custom made for LESS than the price to have ONE rebuilt ! When you get the Orings, but 4 more and store on a shelf somewhere.....

Dale Burford

Equipment
Kubota M9540HD
Sep 24, 2020
Bristol Georgia
My father used to say 'if you can afford to buy a caddy, you can afford to pay for the repairs'. That being said, yes $200 for $10 worth of Orings is outrageous BUT the 'system' is setup to sell 'packages' NOT single nuts, bolts, orings, etc....As others have said, check out local hydraulic shops. I don't know the size of cylinders but 5 years ago I could have TWO cylinders custom made for LESS than the price to have ONE rebuilt ! When you get the Orings, but 4 more and store on a shelf somewhere.....
Thanks yes I am going to store some extras

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
Here's another good place for just about any O-ring need:

Reactions: 1 user

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN
Yes the ORING store has every size and material listed, but Im not sure about in stock. I ordered a few there and got notice they would ship in 5-6 weeks. Still waiting....,

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I own a 2008 Kubota M9540HD. I was having problems with my 3 pt hitch leaking down. Removed the lift assist cylinders and disassembled them. As suspected the O rings on both pistons were shot. Went to Kubota dealer about 30 miles away and he said he could not sell just the O rings had to buy the whole kit. I asked what was included in the kit. His answer 1 rubber bushing 2 rubber o rings and a composite collar that goes around the piston. Here's why I posted this. The Price $100. I need O rings for both cylinders so $200 dollars for 6 little pieces of rubber and 2 composite collars. The complete kit witch only adds a metal bushing and a small lock ring adds another $100 dollars. The same size diameter O rings are less than 10 dollars at the auto parts store. Local dealer says that he can't break kits open to sell. He has no idea if any other o ring will work. Any ideas out there on where I can get these pieces of rubber for a FAIR price. Don't need the collars they are in good shape. Thanks for any help. New to the forum and first post sorry it was so long but this is absolute robbery !!!
Worst case, buy the kubota kit and use the pieces to source cheaper replacements locally.

If there is no other option to find exactly what you need, the only alternative seems to be to guess and hope you do not need to keep guessing...

Edit: if you can accurately measure bore diameter, piston diameter, slot diameter and width, and find a supplier interest enough to figure out what would work, I guess this would be another possibility. ...

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
funny thing about o-rings

they are not all the same, even the same exact sizes ;)

there are different materials, among other things

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Be thankful K and your dealer keeps your spare parts in stock for MANY years, at a reasonable price. I've never had to wait more than a couple of days for parts, even on older machines.

Try JD or NH if you want sticker shock and (in my NH experience) downtime waiting for spare parts.

Reactions: 1 user