Canopy - anyone made one?

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
I'm about to receive my new tractor. The dealer tried to sell me the factory canopy but when I inspected it and spoke to another owner who had this canopy (made from plastic) I decided against it, as I couldn't justify the cost and my friend showed me the damage his had suffered in a very short time.
I live in a heavily forested area, with many overhanging branches and a great deal of bush. I also have some open areas (fields) so I know from personal experience that a canopy is a nice to have feature, especially during the summer or rainy periods, but I need something a little more robust than the factory option. Has anyone come across something better, or perhaps made something more practical than the factory option? Would love to get some ideas or see photos of what you've got or done to your machine. TIA.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
I considered it but the Femco Tuff Top is so inexpensive and it folds down if needed, I went with it. Not moulded plastic either. It's textured color impregnated HDPE sheet.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If you have a supplier of golf carts nearby, they have tops they replace with custom parts. I got this top for $25. The mount is whatever you have available and your fab skills.

canopy 019.jpg canopy 014.jpg canopy 001.jpg canopy 002.jpg canopy 017.jpg canopy 013.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
If you have a supplier of golf carts nearby, they have tops they replace with custom parts. I got this top for $25. The mount is whatever you have ava
I considered it but the Femco Tuff Top is so inexpensive and it folds down if needed, I went with it. Not moulded plastic either. It's textured color impregnated HDPE sheet.
Had a quick look at their website. Looks like a nice product, however given I'm in Australia, shipping costs could make this proposition quite expensive, that is if they ship overseas. Just spotted this on fleabay - check out the shipping cost to Australia!

Attachments

Last edited:

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
If you have a supplier of golf carts nearby, they have tops they replace with custom parts. I got this top for $25. The mount is whatever you have available and your fab skills.

View attachment 45132 View attachment 45133 View attachment 45134 View attachment 45135 View attachment 45136 View attachment 45137
I like this idea. Practical and inexpensive. Not sure I can obtain a golf-cart canopy in my area, but worthwhile looking into. Could be an eBay search or Gumtree maybe. I'll also check out wrecking yards / bone yards of other machinery like mini excavators to see what they have available.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Had a quick look at their website. Looks like a nice product, however given I'm in Australia, shipping costs could make this proposition quite expensive, that is if they ship overseas. Just spotted this on fleabay - check out the shipping cost to Australia!
KVC, at that shipping price you could just use a dime store umbrella, and when it blows away or breaks get another one. :)

I have another canopy I made for my L4240. I leave the ROPS folded down because I'm on flat ground and in trees. This canopy is made from scrap pieces of a large umbrella. Alum pieces about 1"x 1/2" tubing and were 5' long, or so. I made the frame so it mounts into the folded ROPS. Put canvas on the top and held there with plastic ties. Took an hour, but keeps me out of the sun, and come off when I'm done. I might have a picture.

Reactions: 1 user

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Quite familiar with ship to costs offshore. I sell my products worldwide and shipping is not included. Oftentimes transportation costs are more than the actual product. Like I tell my customers, I don't control transportation costs and if I bought something in Oz, it would cost just as much to ship it here.

Your post never alluded to your location so I assumed it was Continental USA.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
Quite familiar with ship to costs offshore. I sell my products worldwide and shipping is not included. Oftentimes transportation costs are more than the actual product. Like I tell my customers, I don't control transportation costs and if I bought something in Oz, it would cost just as much to ship it here.

Your post never alluded to your location so I assumed it was Continental USA.
Sorry - I should have mentioned that I'm in Australia in my post. Nonetheless, I may end up buying the OEM product @ around A$500 with mounting kit, albeit only made from polycarbonate but should come with some sort of warranty. My dilemma is that I have a small landscaping business that requires me to transport the tractor to jobs. Canopy becomes a bit of a sail and the OEM one doesn't have the fold-down facility like some others. I may end up giving this whole idea a miss and just cop the weather as I have done in the past...

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Sorry - I should have mentioned that I'm in Australia in my post. Nonetheless, I may end up buying the OEM product @ around A$500 with mounting kit, albeit only made from polycarbonate but should come with some sort of warranty. My dilemma is that I have a small landscaping business that requires me to transport the tractor to jobs. Canopy becomes a bit of a sail and the OEM one doesn't have the fold-down facility like some others. I may end up giving this whole idea a miss and just cop the weather as I have done in the past...
Large Fedora works too...... (y)

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
I built mine using aluminum extrusion and 1/4 inch HDPE plastic. Brackets are 3/16 inch steel. It folds down for hauling.

5C3B3AF2-1F6C-4561-8F1C-72AD0DEB9D44.jpeg
B068569C-79A0-4399-B753-96D128AEA792.jpeg

bambam31

Equipment
L3800HST 4x4,R1,FEL, 6'disc, 5'bush hog,piranhaTB,6'grader,6'rake, 48"forks
Apr 3, 2014
Mobile, AL
I operate my tractor in both open fields and in heavily wooded areas. I had a fabrication shop build a frame for my ROPS. I mounted a 3/4” 4’x6’ piece of plywood and painted it black. It has provided a lot of Shade and had taken a beating.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
I made one form a GC canopy. It was longer than the factory and covers the dash.

I documented it here,

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
Wow! I'm impressed with how inventive members of this forum are. The GC canopy looks a treat, as does the fold-down one. Wish I had access to a GC canopy here. Sadly, my fabrication skills are somewhat lacking. That said, I'll have a crack at most things and will come up with a solution in time. I especially like the mirror and LEDs on your canopy NHSleddog. Your canopy could pass for a factory item with additional improvements. I'll have to do some research into golf cart canopies here in Aus, but don't like my chances.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
Decided to browse through Gumtree listings looking for a GC canopy and came across this. Seller is based on the other side of the country and says 'pick up only' but I've asked if they would be willing to ship to me (I pay for shipping obviously). Looks identical to your canopy NHSleddog and at $120 plus shipping, it fits my budget. Fingers crossed this pans-out.
Screenshot_2020-06-29 EZGO golf cart roof Golf Gumtree Australia Toowoomba City - Toowoomba 12...jpg

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
If you look at the first picture I posted with the piece laying in the back of the Ranger, it's identical. They are a standard golf cart top.

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
I believe that is the exact model.
Hope you don't mind if I plagiarise your design a bit? If you have any other pics of the frame you made for yours, I would be obliged. Needless to say, I'll have to modify slightly to suit my yet to arrive MX5200 but will try to document for the benefit of others. TIA

kvc

Equipment
MX 5200
Jun 26, 2020
Pemberton Australia
So after a bit of ringing around to get a fair shipping quote, the seller has agree to pack and ship to me. Total cost is A$320 which I thought was good given it's coming from the other side of our country (equivalent to small town Maine - smaller town Cal). Now just have to wait and plan the design. I love the idea of incorporating some lights (front & rear), beacon and mirror too. My new tractor will be licenced (have a plate) as I must traverse public roads (a legal requirement here). The addition of a beacon will make me more visible and give me peace of mind too. there are too many blind drivers around my way unfortunately (mostly tourists).

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Hope you don't mind if I plagiarise your design a bit? If you have any other pics of the frame you made for yours, I would be obliged. Needless to say, I'll have to modify slightly to suit my yet to arrive MX5200 but will try to document for the benefit of others. TIA
No problem at all. PM me your email address and I will send you all the pictures we took.