Can I put a Backhoe on my L185DT

Greg Phillips

Equipment
Kubota L185DT, loader,box scraper, york rake.
Jul 28, 2011
Montgomery, NY
I've heard everything from "sure you can" to "no way"
Do any of you all have any experiance with this. also I'm new to this forum and to useing any forum at all. If there is an archive on this subject or previous discussion pls tell me how to find it

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
YES you sould be able to use a backhoe on the L185 and NO it more then likely wont be a subframe mounted backhoe, you'll have to find one that mounts to the three point hitch. Finding a used one is going to be a bit tricky as most owners that have them seldom part ways with them.

Greg Phillips

Equipment
Kubota L185DT, loader,box scraper, york rake.
Jul 28, 2011
Montgomery, NY
Thanks for getting back to me. Fortunately this fall I will have one job that I can rent a small BH or buy one. I'm thinking- buy one. I would have the budget to buy a new one if nessasary, but of course I would like to have the benifit of the wisdom of the people on this forum before chooseing one. the link you posted brought me to this thread. Is there an archive of threads on this subject ? Seems unlikely that i'm the first one with this question.

mike837go

Equipment
L185 2WD, MF1010, Ford 2110, MM Big Mo 500
Aug 8, 2011
Campbell Hall, NY USA
Voice of experiance:

Yes, a small 3-point backhoe will work on an L185 (see my avitar).

Unfortunatly, it was a loaner from a neighbor who sold it.

I was able to do quite a bit of work with it. Biggest problem was the engine running hotter than I like since the machine is generally stationary when using a backhoe. Leaving the hood up really helped.

You will need some way of stablizing the front end while using the hoe. My snowplow proved barely adiquate. Also note the lump of granite used to counter the weight of the hoe.

AKL1501DT

Equipment
L1501DT, Woods Dual FEL, Woods 750 backhoe
Nov 11, 2011
Alaska
This is an older thread, but YES! You can put a backhoe on it.
I have an L1501DT, which is the Grey market version of the L185DT.

I have a Woods 750 3 pt backhoe on mine and it has done a tremendous amount of work. It is worth it's weight in gold.

My dumb little 15 horse tractor (I mean that affectionately) has dug hundreds of feet of wire trench. Dug out many stumps. Picked up logs and dragged/carried them to the log pile, and loaded them on the pile. Dug holes for posts and sono tubes. chewed up rock hard snowbanks so the front end loader could move them.

Get one! It does have limits, but you will be amazed at all the things you will do, because you have the tool to do it.

Greg

I've heard everything from "sure you can" to "no way"
Do any of you all have any experiance with this. also I'm new to this forum and to useing any forum at all. If there is an archive on this subject or previous discussion pls tell me how to find it

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
This is an older thread, but YES! You can put a backhoe on it.
I have an L1501DT, which is the Grey market version of the L185DT.

I have a Woods 750 3 pt backhoe on mine and it has done a tremendous amount of work. It is worth it's weight in gold.

My dumb little 15 horse tractor (I mean that affectionately) has dug hundreds of feet of wire trench. Dug out many stumps. Picked up logs and dragged/carried them to the log pile, and loaded them on the pile. Dug holes for posts and sono tubes. chewed up rock hard snowbanks so the front end loader could move them.

Get one! It does have limits, but you will be amazed at all the things you will do, because you have the tool to do it.

Greg
GREAT.... now I'm going to have to find one for my L245DT....
Just to have one...
I mean, i know i'll use it building our home and doing our water/sewer and underground electric service.... but what SIZE should be used...?
dont they start at like 6'? Anyone with a L245DT have any pics of where the front subframe mounts up...??

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I would think a 6ft backhoe should work well behind an L245. If I remember correctly they start out with a 6 foot boom and go up from there. A hoe from a BX series Kubota will be WAY to small and wont mount up behind an L series.

WinnieCouple

Equipment
L245DT, razor brush hog, small disc, double bottom plow, 5' Turfline Box Blade.
Aug 1, 2011
Hico, Texas
I would think a 6ft backhoe should work well behind an L245. If I remember correctly they start out with a 6 foot boom and go up from there. A hoe from a BX series Kubota will be WAY to small and wont mount up behind an L series.
Thanks..
I'll keep an eye out for a SUPER deal, as I cant really justify buying vs renting any time soon that is.

brunswick000

Equipment
Kubota L245DT
Feb 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Search PF Engineering. They sell pretty comprehensive plans for building loaders and hoes for compact tractors. Even garden tractors! Its my plan. Given the speed of my current repairs I should have one in about 5 years :(

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

MagKarl

Equipment
L245DT
Aug 2, 2010
Olympia, WA
Watch your local Craig's List for an old used backhoe. Any 3 point or subframe mount model in the right size will work assuming you can build a proper subframe and attachment bracket arrangement. I bought an old Kubota backhoe that's about 6.5' I think and built my subframe and brackets to fit between the tractor and backhoe. Mine is a pto pump drive and it works great. I have about $2000 into it for the backhoe, steel, and welding supplies. Rear attachment is a drawbar area bracket, and front connection ties to the loader subframe under the bell housing. I also use a rigid toplink but the subframe carries most of the load.