BX25D upgrade to B2601 questions

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I have had 2 BX25Ds (owned at different times) and am thinking of going up one to the B2601. My biggest tasks are mowing and snowblowing my 5-6 acres of grass and 500’ driveway. I feel I’m done with the backhoe and if any work is needed I’ll have a local small landscaper do the work. My biggest problem is “will the B01 series mow the same hills as the BX?” (Mostly up/down as opposed to side hilling)
I have some pretty good grades around the home that the BX climbs and descends easily in 4WD. Could I expect the “B” to perform equally? I do like a MMM as opposed to a rear PTO mower but would not be opposed to a rear mower.

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Probably not the feedback you're looking for, but... For 5-6 acres of mowing, I'd get an industrial grade zero turn mower and save yourself several hours each mowing. Then a good walk behind snow blower for the driveway and you're all set. The pair should be a lot less than a 2601 and the hours saved mowing is priceless.

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 w/ S2T Turbo Kit = 35 PTO HP (Current), B2601 (Sold)
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^^
I’d echo the advice above regarding a quality zero turn mower for your property;
F7736857-ACB4-42AD-BF8F-8DBD94F080DA.jpeg

This is my amazing Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 S KW with 4 wheel steering and designed specifically for mowing hills. The traction, control, safety and performance is unmatched. I highly recommend it for mowing any property with steep hills like mine. Plus, it saved me one hour mowing time!

Now, that said, yes, the B2601 will definitely mow your property in a similar manner as your BX25D. The center of gravity may be higher with the B2601 but, I had my rear tires ballasted and I installed 2” wheel spacers which really added stability. My B2601 was a capable mower.

Overall, I’d recommend a ZTR but, the B2601 would definitely do the job.

Mike

Reactions: 1 user

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Probably not the feedback you're looking for, but... For 5-6 acres of mowing, I'd get an industrial grade zero turn mower and save yourself several hours each mowing. Then a good walk behind snow blower for the driveway and you're all set. The pair should be a lot less than a 2601 and the hours saved mowing is priceless.
No problem…I have thought about a dedicated mower. I mowed commercially for 10 years in my own business and had an Exmark $15k mower with bagger system. Best mower out there in my opinion. As for the snowblower, I used my Honda tracked blower for 9 years and just bought Kubota’s BX5455HD for the front of my 25D. Love it. No more walking behind thanks! If I upgrade to the B01 series, it will have a big commercial blower as well.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
^^^^^
I’d echo the advice above regarding a quality zero turn mower for your property;
View attachment 75529
This is my amazing Cub Cadet Pro Z 560 S KW with 4 wheel steering and designed specifically for mowing hills. The traction, control, safety and performance is unmatched. I highly recommend it for mowing any property with steep hills like mine. Plus, it saved me one hour mowing time!

Now, that said, yes, the B2601 will definitely mow your property in a similar manner as your BX25D. The center of gravity may be higher with the B2601 but, I had my rear tires ballasted and I installed 2” wheel spacers which really added stability. My B2601 was a capable mower.

Overall, I’d recommend a ZTR but, the B2601 would definitely do the job.

Mike
That’s a nice mower!
in an ideal world, if I could sell the backhoe and get a rear PTO KIT and a rear blade for my 25D I would go that route and use it for years to come. Not sure what the market would be for a used backhoe, especially one that came dedicated to the 25D.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I moved from BX to B2601. I kept the B2601 for 9 months before selling it and buying an LX. I found the B2601 to feel much more tippy than the BX did due to how narrow it is. The operator station and seat are pretty much the same as the BX. In the LX you'll gain a wider track, and more comfortable operator station.

B2601 and LX for all practical purposes are equally maneuverable and fit in the same places.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
I moved from BX to B2601. I kept the B2601 for 9 months before selling it and buying an LX. I found the B2601 to feel much more tippy than the BX did due to how narrow it is. The operator station and seat are pretty much the same as the BX. In the LX you'll gain a wider track, and more comfortable operator station.
Yes my neighbor has an LX but for my uses, it seems a bit BIG….not that bigger is not better. With an LX series, I would not mow with it. For all other uses it would be nice.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
That's the thing, it appears that way to you now, but the physical difference between the LX and B2601 is really insignificant.

If you can try to find a dealer with BOTH in stock to see and use each side by side. My dealer didnt have a LX in stock when I purchased my B2601, I was obsessed with "not buying too big a machine". I wish I had looked harder to test fit an LX because it would have saved me a bunch of money.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
That's the thing, it appears that way to you now, but the physical difference between the LX and B2601 is really insignificant.
I’ll have to visit a dealer and sit on and drive some…always a fun thing to do!

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
That’s a nice mower!
in an ideal world, if I could sell the backhoe and get a rear PTO KIT and a rear blade for my 25D I would go that route and use it for years to come. Not sure what the market would be for a used backhoe, especially one that came dedicated to the 25D.
Thank you!
Only thing that would make it better...would be a diesel engine!

Yeah, that's tough...I'm not sure if there is a market for the BH on that tractor, hard to say.

Mike

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a B2601 and mow some hills that I probably should't due to their steepness. 4WD and in low with occasionally locking the rear wheels. The tractor has turf tires and holds the hills like a billy goat. I try to only mow in dry conditions. I have the mid mount mower and was initially concerned myself as my prior machine was an old Steiner and made for hills. The Steiner was more stable. The B2601 can do a lot more. I love it. Used it to move 4 bucket loads of slate tile I had salvaged to the curb yesterday. I am donating it to the local materials reclamation store. I was going to enhance my fire pit area with it. Another project scratched off of my list I figure !

Reactions: 4 users

RalphVa

Jan 19, 2020
Charlottesville
The B will do fine. I also echo why you're mowing so much? Mowing is for places where you need to drive over it regularly or play on it. Otherwise, mow some trails through it and then bush hog it every year or two to keep undesired stuff from growing there.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
Don't forget for the price of a MMM you are more than 1/2 way into the price of a decent zero turn mower. The other point is taking the mower on & off is just enough of a pain that I would spring for the zero turn.

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Don't forget for the price of a MMM you are more than 1/2 way into the price of a decent zero turn mower. The other point is taking the mower on & off is just enough of a pain that I would spring for the zero turn.
I forget what I paid for mine in 2013…how much are they now?

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
OEM 60” MMM’s I believe are around $3K these days.

Mike

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
Curious which ZT do you think is “decent”? I mowed commercially for 7 years and had an Exmark Lazer HP which, at that time, cost me over $12k (probably more now)
Love to have another one but at $14-15k is out of the question. What’s out there now for $5-$6k?

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
I think he’s referring to the entry-level commercial/residential ZTR’s that are available. Basically, just a more robust residential mower. These ZTR’s are between $4-7K and there are options from tons of companies including Kubota, JD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Bad Boy, Gravely, Ariens, Scag, etc…
These mowers are not in the same category as your previous commercial Exmark, however they’ll do the job.

True commercial ZTR’s seem to start at $10K. My Cub Cadet Pro Z was $12K and the prices are going up on those too. It is possible to spend $30K plus on a Diesel commercial ZTR…Crazy.

Mike

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
^^^^
I think he’s referring to the entry-level commercial/residential ZTR’s that are available. Basically, just a more robust residential mower. These ZTR’s are between $4-7K and there are options from tons of companies including Kubota, JD, Toro, Cub Cadet, Bad Boy, Gravely, Ariens, Scag, etc…
These mowers are not in the same category as your previous commercial Exmark, however they’ll do the job.

True commercial ZTR’s seem to start at $10K. My Cub Cadet Pro Z was $12K and the prices are going up on those too. It is possible to spend $30K plus on a Diesel commercial ZTR…Crazy.

Mike
Ok…I wonder how those less $$ mowers will handle hills? The bulk of my mowing would be fine but on 2 sides of my house (on a hill) I have some steep-ish grades..

Rdrcr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 7, 2021
WA
^^^^
Hard to say without a demo on your property. I was lucky enough to demo my boss’s Bad Boy ZTR (top of the line), my neighbors Bad Boy (mid-pack) and a couple other ZTR’s before I decided on my Cub Cadet.
My steep hills made the decision for me.

I probably would still be mowing with my B2601 if I hadn’t needed a larger tractor. The B2601 handled the hills just fine but, I had to go straight up and down. No side mowing.

Mike

Mowbizz

Equipment
Bx25d
Aug 19, 2021
New Hampshire
^^^^
Hard to say without a demo on your property. I was lucky enough to demo my boss’s Bad Boy ZTR (top of the line), my neighbors Bad Boy (mid-pack) and a couple other ZTR’s before I decided on my Cub Cadet.
My steep hills made the decision for me.

I probably would still be mowing with my B2601 if I hadn’t needed a larger tractor. The B2601 handled the hills just fine but, I had to go straight up and down. No side mowing.

Mike
Yup, that’s what I do except for at the very bottom of the slope I make 2 passes side hill. I suppose I could ask a dealer for a demo on my property…