BX25D Loader/MMM/BH prices and concerns

ShowMeGuy

Mar 9, 2015
STL, MO
First a quick background.... I don't know diddly about all these little Subcompact and compact utility tractors. All i know is what i've found out there on forums and youtube vids.
First i have a 3 acre lot that I've got some water drainage issues with and I'd like to make a 3/4 or so acre garden then year or moving forward and have been eyeballing the bx25 for a little loader and BH. I currently have several antique fords..... 9N,660,740 & 861 with a superior loader power up/grav down..... I've thought about going into a 40hp or so used skid-steer but since I have a lot of Category One implements for the old fords I thought that would be silly...??? 5ft bushhog, PHD, 6ft finish mower, ferg cultivator, 2 btm plow and a 6ft light blade....... I also have a old JD 430 diesel with a MMM I use for mowing.
So knowing what i have and have some water drainage projects planned if i was to take the plunge I'd prolly need to get ride of 2 of the old fords or one of them and the 430. BTW how does the little BX25 do in hard clay? Also. So do many of you folks mow grass with the BX25D? How hard is it to take off the front loader, not just the bucket and the BH? I'd need this to be my swiss army knife tractor essentially. I'll keep the fords for cultivating and to Plow the dirt but prolly not much else......
Kinda all over the place here. Just hard to see why these new tractor cost so dang much....
The one I've been eyeing in has about 500 hrs... and is asking around 13k.? Fair? low? high?

Last edited:

mickeyd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2014 L3200 DT w/LA524 FEL, 2019 Kubota Z121S w/ 48" Pro Dec, TG1860G w/RCK54TG
Mar 21, 2014
Guin, AL
Welcome to OTT Showme from Alabama. The BX25 is a 2013 model. The BX25D is the current version. A lot of people love the BX25/D and they will be able to give you first hand info. By the way, Go Cards.

SLIMSHADIE

Equipment
Kubota BX25D
Apr 10, 2013
Eureka,IL
I love my BX25D. I have 3 acres and mowed 2 seasons with it. I think it mows pretty well, less bouncy with fel and backhoe off. I know have a zero turn for that, a little faster, plus trying to keep some hours off the BX. The fel is pretty easy to take off, just a couple minutes, piece of cake. The backhoe is off 99% of the time. I still have issues attaching/removing it, just dont do it enough. I use the 3pt and different attachments more than the backhoe. I dont do much grade work other than a box blade on a gravel driveway. I recently added a piranha toothbar for the bucket but have not used it yet.

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Hi Guys-

I am a newbie here and hope that I am adding to the conversation as opposed to hijacking the posts. I too am in the market for a Small TLB tractor.
Right now its down to Kubota BX25D, Massey GC1720, and JD 1025R.

Wants:

I have enough tractor work to buy one, but not enough to keep one. Hence use for a year or so, then sell.
A small tractor with enough power to do what I want and get the job done.

I really like the Kubota for its foot print. It is the perfect sized tractor.
Its reputation
perceived resale value.
Quality
Grand dad had a few and they were bullet proof.
Its Orange!!

Dislikes:
Ergos: no tilt, seat sucks, no place to put phone on charger, forward and reverse pedals, ISO controls on backhoe.
Cant use mower with backhoe
difficulty in removing attachments.
Tiny 3 point hitch.
Least powerful loader and hoe of all my choices.
Need to rev high(er) to move hydraulic attachments.
cost

In light of the aforementioned, I would love to hear other view points in hopes that it may guide my decision.

Thank you,

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Ah yes , the ole BX25D discussion . It is ( FOR IT'S SIZE) the toughest and most stable TLB on the market . I tried them all before I bought mine . For what they cost I wanted the best . The biggest thing I read on here is bigger is better . Well that depends on what your needs are . I'm sorry but anything that is not a TRUE backhoe ( case 590 super E, John Deer, Terex ) is nothing more than a tractor with an attachment . That being said , back to your needs . The BX25D is a very capable machine for its size but small size comes with advantages and disadvantages . Here is an example of small size being great . My cousin is a excavator of 30 years experience . His daughter and son in law built a new house last summer . The terrain was very hilly and dense woods . The power company would not put in underground electric because they said they couldn't get in there to trench it . So he borrowed my BX25D , trenched 110' for the power company . They did there job and he back filled everything , put in the gravel drive and dug the footings for deck . All of that done and he only put 11 hours on the machine . But he is a pro too . Here is an example of too small . I had a couple of maple trees about 14" in diameter die on me . No problem I thought . Cut them down , wood split and hauled away . No I start digging the stumps out . They were 4' from each so figured I could get them apart . No such luck . Had them all dug out but couldn't do anything with them . So cousin came up and took care of them with a case 580 . It was tough but he got them . So , like I said , your decision depends on your needs . If they are small , the BX25D will do anything you want , it has more power than weight . The hydraulics are set pretty low but that can turned up easily . I bought mine to mow , snow blow , cutting and hauling wood, and landscaping around the house . I have absolutely no regrets on its size .
The price you mentioned doesn't sound too bad , but with kubotas financing I would buy new . Warranty and you know what you have . If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me about the 25D .

Flienlow

Equipment
Kubota BX25D, Kubota U25 mini EX, SVL75,Landpride Grapple,Landpride grading scra
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
Ah yes , the ole BX25D discussion . It is ( FOR IT'S SIZE) the toughest and most stable TLB on the market . I tried them all before I bought mine . For what they cost I wanted the best . The biggest thing I read on here is bigger is better . Well that depends on what your needs are . I'm sorry but anything that is not a TRUE backhoe ( case 590 super E, John Deer, Terex ) is nothing more than a tractor with an attachment . That being said , back to your needs . The BX25D is a very capable machine for its size but small size comes with advantages and disadvantages . Here is an example of small size being great . My cousin is a excavator of 30 years experience . His daughter and son in law built a new house last summer . The terrain was very hilly and dense woods . The power company would not put in underground electric because they said they couldn't get in there to trench it . So he borrowed my BX25D , trenched 110' for the power company . They did there job and he back filled everything , put in the gravel drive and dug the footings for deck . All of that done and he only put 11 hours on the machine . But he is a pro too . Here is an example of too small . I had a couple of maple trees about 14" in diameter die on me . No problem I thought . Cut them down , wood split and hauled away . No I start digging the stumps out . They were 4' from each so figured I could get them apart . No such luck . Had them all dug out but couldn't do anything with them . So cousin came up and took care of them with a case 580 . It was tough but he got them . So , like I said , your decision depends on your needs . If they are small , the BX25D will do anything you want , it has more power than weight . The hydraulics are set pretty low but that can turned up easily . I bought mine to mow , snow blow , cutting and hauling wood, and landscaping around the house . I have absolutely no regrets on its size .
The price you mentioned doesn't sound too bad , but with kubotas financing I would buy new . Warranty and you know what you have . If anyone has any questions feel free to ask me about the 25D .
Thank you for the reply. For what its worth, we had some maple stumps that were work for a cat 320 to get out!!

I was born and raised on these Small Kubotas so I know what they will do, although I haven't warmed a seat in years. But the older I get, the more fearful I get about buying the wrong thing.

Now then, What annoys that crap out of your when you operate it? What would you change? What do you like the most?

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Thank you for the reply. For what its worth, we had some maple stumps that were work for a cat 320 to get out!!

I was born and raised on these Small Kubotas so I know what they will do, although I haven't warmed a seat in years. But the older I get, the more fearful I get about buying the wrong thing.

Now then, What annoys that crap out of your when you operate it? What would you change? What do you like the most?
The downsides to my machine .
1: the weight . It does have more power than weight when it comes to the backhoe . To overcome that problem I use a large log for counter weight in the bucket when using the hoe . Sandy ground where I live so I made bigger pads for the stabilizers , made a huge difference .
2: Slow ground speed , only 8mph , no road gear .
Other than that the only thing I would like to see is a drive over mower deck . The PTO shaft is a bit hard to hook up .
The loader and backhoe are easy to take off , put on . I can do mine in about five minutes .
What I like the most
1: Size , its just right for mowing , snow blowing , and really good for getting through tight woods for cutting hauling wood .
2: The backhoe , very power full and with the mechanical thumb it makes cuttingwood aa lot easier . No bending over when cutting .
3: fuel economy . It sips fuel even when working hard.
4: ergonomics , comfortable to operate . ( there is a charger outlet and cup holder too)
5: metal hood , fenders, not much plastic . It is very heavy built .

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
First a quick background.... I don't know diddly about all these little Subcompact and compact utility tractors. All i know is what i've found out there on forums and youtube vids.
First i have a 3 acre lot that I've got some water drainage issues with and I'd like to make a 3/4 or so acre garden then year or moving forward and have been eyeballing the bx25 for a little loader and BH. I currently have several antique fords..... 9N,660,740 & 861 with a superior loader power up/grav down..... I've thought about going into a 40hp or so used skid-steer but since I have a lot of Category One implements for the old fords I thought that would be silly...??? 5ft bushhog, PHD, 6ft finish mower, ferg cultivator, 2 btm plow and a 6ft light blade....... I also have a old JD 430 diesel with a MMM I use for mowing.
So knowing what i have and have some water drainage projects planned if i was to take the plunge I'd prolly need to get ride of 2 of the old fords or one of them and the 430. BTW how does the little BX25 do in hard clay? Also. So do many of you folks mow grass with the BX25D? How hard is it to take off the front loader, not just the bucket and the BH? I'd need this to be my swiss army knife tractor essentially. I'll keep the fords for cultivating and to Plow the dirt but prolly not much else......
Kinda all over the place here. Just hard to see why these new tractor cost so dang much....
The one I've been eyeing in has about 500 hrs... and is asking around 13k.? Fair? low? high?

I have had mine for almost two years.....

I am impressed out the a$$ with what it does, yes IT IS A small SCUT .....that is why it is so popular....i was going to buy the B series, dealer said to me after describing my situation that the BX was ideal = I have to agree - perfect fit.

Is bigger better? SUREEEEEEEEEEEEEE - my BIL has a 2920 - same machine as mine but bigger all the way around, bigger FEL , little bigger hoe, but has a little bigger footprint too - along with a larger $$$$$

I was going to get mine without the MMM ,as it was about $2000 more....I too had an old 53 Ford Jubilee ......

I will tell you - this machine will out work the 53 all day long EXCEPT pushing SNOW ------I had a 6' blade on the FORD and a 4' bucket is on the BX....

as Koja pointed out - it DOES have its limitations..........yet, most can get around 95% of them.

I too had a 28" old sycamore stump - took me about 10 hours to get it out of the ground, it weighed MORE than the bucket could pick up ....and those ten hours were ALL in the learning curve of new user on the HOE - now I feel I could have done it in 1/3 the time.

I sold my 53 and bought the MMM - financed it all at 0% and loving every minute of it.

NEVER heard anyone say - "I wished I never bought this POS cause it will not do anything I want it to"

Know what you plan on doing, then ask yourself how you did without it once you get it , cause you will think of 101 OTHER THINGS that it can do!:)

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
The downsides to my machine .
1: the weight . It does have more power than weight when it comes to the backhoe . To overcome that problem I use a large log for counter weight in the bucket when using the hoe . Sandy ground where I live so I made bigger pads for the stabilizers , made a huge difference .
2: Slow ground speed , only 8mph , no road gear .
Other than that the only thing I would like to see is a drive over mower deck . The PTO shaft is a bit hard to hook up .
The loader and backhoe are easy to take off , put on . I can do mine in about five minutes .
What I like the most
1: Size , its just right for mowing , snow blowing , and really good for getting through tight woods for cutting hauling wood .
2: The backhoe , very power full and with the mechanical thumb it makes cuttingwood aa lot easier . No bending over when cutting .
3: fuel economy . It sips fuel even when working hard.
4: ergonomics , comfortable to operate . ( there is a charger outlet and cup holder too)
5: metal hood , fenders, not much plastic . It is very heavy built .

So you dont have any issues with Forward and reverse pedal setup?
You dont find the hydraulics to be inadequate?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

I find that high range is great when you are on open flat ground, but due to the weight of the hoe and FEL - it WILL NOT go up a rather small incline worth a shyte! Flat ground - it will haul butt! :D

I find that the hydraulics are a little under powered - in high range only - otherwise I think it has plenty of power for what the true expectations are given.

Last edited:

Flienlow

Equipment
Mar 9, 2015
snohomish
I find that high range is great when you are on open flat ground, but due to the weight of the hoe and FEL - it WILL NOT go up a rather small incline worth a shyte! Flat ground - it will haul butt! :D

And Finally, If someone stole your BX25 right now, would you buy a new one or try something different?

In the end I will need to take the chance and either buy it or something else. Its does help to feed off of other opinions though.

Thank you!!

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
If you check on the cost to rent a back-hoe for that planned work as compared to the 25D extra cost with BH, you might change your mind.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
And Finally, If someone stole your BX25 right now, would you buy a new one or try something different?

In the end I will need to take the chance and either buy it or something else. Its does help to feed off of other opinions though.

Thank you!!

If someone stole it - and the insurance company paid me FULL price (which they would not) I would take the few thousand and LOOK at buying the 2920 with hoe and FEL and MMM.....

is only cost 40% more than what I have now.........20k vs 28K .........

so I would get the BX25D again !:D:)

HickoryNut

Equipment
BX25DLB/PForks,Front Blade,3PH,and 3Pt STUFF, BXPanded UA, Piranha, BH Dolly,Rip
Apr 15, 2011
NE Georgia
I'll chime in although I won't offer much in the way of a different opinion that has already been voiced. Bought new (0.7 Hours DEMO) 2014 BX25D/60"MMM/60" Front Scrape Blade/Pallet Forks/3PT Hitch/Piranha Bar and BXPanded Under Armor. I also have a B7100 with the appropriate 3PT implements box blade,scrape blade,brush hog, landscape rake. Those implements work even better on the BX.

I have 11 acres on a river (no flat ground to speak of and lots of rocks and trees) and the little orange beast eats it up. I too contemplated a 2920 and 3030 equipped the same. I too saved a bunch of money and I believe gained better use of the smaller machine.

It is a swiss army knife when you have the goodies. Unhooking the FEL and BH are very easy IMHO, and the 3pt Hitch goes on and off just as quickly.

The only negative I have is having to turn the seat around for short moves when using the BH. The comfort of the seat far outweighs having to turn it around.

The tooth bar is a must, it expands the capability of the FEL 10 fold.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'll chime in although I won't offer much in the way of a different opinion that has already been voiced. Bought new (0.7 Hours DEMO) 2014 BX25D/60"MMM/60" Front Scrape Blade/Pallet Forks/3PT Hitch/Piranha Bar and BXPanded Under Armor. I also have a B7100 with the appropriate 3PT implements box blade,scrape blade,brush hog, landscape rake. Those implements work even better on the BX.

I have 11 acres on a river (no flat ground to speak of and lots of rocks and trees) and the little orange beast eats it up. I too contemplated a 2920 and 3030 equipped the same. I too saved a bunch of money and I believe gained better use of the smaller machine.

It is a swiss army knife when you have the goodies. Unhooking the FEL and BH are very easy IMHO, and the 3pt Hitch goes on and off just as quickly.

The only negative I have is having to turn the seat around for short moves when using the BH. The comfort of the seat far outweighs having to turn it around.

The tooth bar is a must, it expands the capability of the FEL 10 fold.
Nut,

everything you said it was dead balls on! :)

koja

Equipment
BX25D
May 27, 2014
Fremont Mi.
Wasn't real turned on by the pedals either when I first seen it . But I sure like them now . And like I mentioned earlier about the hydraulics , they are turned up very easily . Good threads on here concerning that . I think the stock pressure is only around 1700psi but you can go a lot higher , makes a world of difference . Bxepanded makes a very nice kit for it . Most hydraulics run up over 2000psi , don't know why Kubota started out low .

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Wasn't real turned on by the pedals either when I first seen it . But I sure like them now . And like I mentioned earlier about the hydraulics , they are turned up very easily . Good threads on here concerning that . I think the stock pressure is only around 1700psi but you can go a lot higher , makes a world of difference . Bxepanded makes a very nice kit for it . Most hydraulics run up over 2000psi , don't know why Kubota started out low .

Koja,

After I had mine a year - I too increased the ol' pressure with those 3 cent washers......and the $$$ kit .....nice gauge however - not sure it is worth that chunk of change....

I am running something like 1950 or so - might even push it a wee bit more.
I too am amazed they don't open it up a bit more from the factory!:)

ShowMeGuy

Mar 9, 2015
STL, MO
Great info guys... I appreciate all the feedback.

How much gardening do all of you do with yours? I guess as far as the garden goes I would just be looking at how everyone uses their tiller and what their opinions are of what they have as far as brand and width...

Thanks again guys!