BX25D Fan Belt

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Twice in the last year, I've had to tighten the belt on my little guy. I suspect it is wearing out or simply going bad. It has been loose enough where I could grab the cooling fan (yes, engine off!) and easily move it. I've not had any belt squeal or battery charging issues though. But, I think the belt is going.:eek:

The part number is 16883-97010 . Any reason to buy only a Kubota belt? Is there a better belt I could use (like a green HD one?):confused:

I assume to replace, I have to disconnect the drive shaft. That will give me enough room to replace the belt?:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Twice in the last year, I've had to tighten the belt on my little guy. I suspect it is wearing out or simply going bad. It has been loose enough where I could grab the cooling fan (yes, engine off!) and easily move it. I've not had any belt squeal or battery charging issues though. But, I think the belt is going.:eek:

The part number is 16883-97010 . Any reason to buy only a Kubota belt? Is there a better belt I could use (like a green HD one?):confused:

I assume to replace, I have to disconnect the drive shaft. That will give me enough room to replace the belt?:confused:
I don't see any reason not to stay with the stock belt.
Some other belts might appear to be better, but because of kubota's small pulley sizes the belt need to be very flexible.
And yes removing the three bolts should allow you to be able to put a new belt on it.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
I don't see any reason not to stay with the stock belt.
Some other belts might appear to be better, but because of kubota's small pulley sizes the belt need to be very flexible.
And yes removing the three bolts should allow you to be able to put a new belt on it.
Thanks, NIW. OEM it is! I prefer to always go OEM unless there is a good reason (quality upgrade) to do otherwise.:)

I was thinking... it is possible the belt got 'cooked' a bit a few years back. I have a winch and there were two days I used it, a lot! Enough that the winch was almost too hot to touch. It is possible that the alternator load (even with engine rpm at about 2.5K) was more than the belt could provide and the belt get damaged then. All part of n00b and leasrning, I suspect. Not that I know much now, just a little more than then!:p

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
The belt I got was/is claimed to be OEM. White sleeve said 'Kubota' in Kubota logo. Belt is a Mistusbishi REMF-1350.
Looked around a bit and the same belt from Mitsubishi was half the price...

It will be a little while before I pop it on, snow/ice today and my old bones have no desire to crawl on a cold cement floor.:p

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Today s the day!

Current belt is close to maxed out in adjustment. I sometimes use a winch on my little guy. The belt may of been borderline loose and running the winch may of cause the alternator to put maximum load. That may of resulted in belt slippage which further prematurely wore the belt and more slippage.

I'll not be removing the hood or engine surrounds unless forced to.
I do have a full shop and I expect it to be a easy job.

Loosen and rest the alternator back to the block.
Remove the belt from the alternator and water pump.
Break loose the three drive shaft bolts. Remove the three bolts.
Remove the old belt and stuff in the new one.
Reconnect the drive shaft (ant-seize the bolts), install the belt on the pulleys and adjust.

Probably take an hour for an old beat up guy,:eek:

Followed by a spring oil change and then a spring service on the genset. I did the garden tractor and wood chipper yesterday.:p

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Done!

Loosening the driveshaft bolts was not a problem, a pry bar and a wrench.

I did not realize for a few minutes that the drive shaft was spring loaded and a stout pull gave me plenty of room to get the old belt out and the new one in.

Once in, it was a PITA to get it over the cooling fan blades. Probably the hardest part.

Anti-seized the drive shaft bolts and tightened, popped the belt onto the alternator and adjusted.

45 minutes start to finish. Now that I know 'the tricks', I could probably do it in 20 minutes.