BX24 - Industrial Tread on rear and R14 on Front?

Harveybravo

Equipment
BX24 Loader and Backhoe; Ford F-350 diesel dump; Vermeer BC625A; Numerous Stihl
Feb 28, 2023
Knoxville, TN
I have 15 year old R4 industrial treads with ballast on the rear of my BX24 and needed rubber on the front a couple years back so I removed the R4 from the front and installed a turf tread because I was running on grass more in the past. So I'm currently running industrial treads on rear and turf tread on front.

I'm in the dirt and mud more now and grass little at all and the turf on the front ain't making it. I've decided to go with R14 on the front and keep the not-worn-out industrials on the rear. A Kubota dealer refused to sell me R14 rubber for the front unless I was putting R14 on the rears... didn't really explain his rationale (safety? front treads different than rears hard on the drive train?).

Can you enlighten me what the salesman's rationale might be (other than the obvious - he wants to make a bigger sale)... Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
As long as they fit the rim and are the same in rolling circumference - there should be no problems.

The front tires on most tractors will wear faster than rears for multiple reasons. They are worn while turning, worn while in 4wd be leading the rears. Thus placing new tires with the same OEM spec will actually wear a bit faster - simple because that new circumference is larger in ratio than the worn rears.
AS for safety - I don't see any safety concerns.

Reactions: 1 users

Harveybravo

Equipment
Feb 28, 2023
Knoxville, TN
As long as they fit the rim and are the same in rolling circumference - there should be no problems.

The front tires on most tractors will wear faster than rears for multiple reasons. They are worn while turning, worn while in 4wd be leading the rears. Thus placing new tires with the same OEM spec will actually wear a bit faster - simple because that new circumference is larger in ratio than the worn rears.
AS for safety - I don't see any safety concerns.
Thanks, friend. Your assessment is what makes sense to me. Not sure local Kubota dealer was so adamant about replacing all 4 rather than just the fronts.

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
My guess is that they have limited stock of R14s, so they only want to sell them as sets.

Why not just order them from a regular car tire dealer?

Reactions: 1 user

Harveybravo

Equipment
Feb 28, 2023
Knoxville, TN
My guess is that they have limited stock of R14s, so they only want to sell them as sets.

Why not just order them from a regular car tire dealer?
This is likely what I will do! However, I have been told by multiple sources buying tires from a Kubota dealer would be less expensive. Doesn't look that way to me.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
This is likely what I will do! However, I have been told by multiple sources buying tires from a Kubota dealer would be less expensive. Doesn't look that way to me.
The best place I found for tractor tires is to go to a commercial semi truck and construction equipment tire shop. They can order almost anything and are usually price competitive or lower. They also can liquid fill tires.