BX24 cranks but won't start!

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
O-Tay!

I've checked the fuses, fuel pump is working (ticking sound, vibrating). Changed both fuel filters last Nov. I disconnected the last fuel filter and got fuel pulsing out when I tried to start. Not sure how much pressure it should have had as I didn't actually try to start it, just turned the key to the glow plug position. At least I know the fuel filters are not completely clogged.

Worked fine all day yesterday and no previous problems starting or running. I started it up this morning, moved it to load up some brush. When I tried to restart it just cranks but doesn't catch. Tried jumping it incase the battery was just not doing the trick.

Is there a safety switch that will allow it to crank but not start? Seems like the safety stuff will stop it from even cranking. Fuel is ok as it's been running on the same tank for the last few days. Yes the fuel tank is full. Not sure what to check next.

Sorry if this had been addressed before but couldn't find it with a search.

DanDan

Equipment
BX1860, L2600DT
Sep 21, 2012
SoCal
I am not sure how the safety switches work myself, either... if it will even crank if the switch is closed (opened?).

Apart from the safety switch issue though (usually the seat/"operator presence")
The other bedeviling non-start issue can be the hydro pedal not being in a true neutral position.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
Have you checked your fuel supply? I had a problem with my diesel truck, and went through the entire fuel system BUT the tank. Finally pulled the sending unit, and it was a glob of bacterial fungus that would slosh around and sometimes cover the pickup tube. Fungus will grow in diesel fuel, and clog things up to the point that it won't pull fuel through. It might not be that, but it needs to be checked. If I would have checked it first, I would have saved myself a lot of time and about $400.
Here is the photo of the glob of bacteria-
http://s65.photobucket.com/user/br549_red/media/goo001_zpscc5c942c.jpg.html?sort=3&o=1

cal1

Equipment
BX23s
Jul 9, 2011
Battle Ground, WA
FOUND IT!!! I'm not sure if this is the correct name but I think its called the engine stop solenoid. Got help (via phone call) from a parts guy at the Kubota dealership in Longmont Colorado. He used to be a repair tech and explained how this is suppose to work. This is suppose to engage when the engine is turned off. Not sure exactly why but it's suppose to release within a few seconds after the engine completes shut down. Mine was simply stuck. A simple push on the arm got it running again. I had tried to start it at least 6 times. If you have a manual the pic is on page 6-S15. He said this is a common problem. So after trouble shooting/researching for a couple of hours and almost getting the trailer out to run it to the dealer, I'm back up and running.

Thanks for the help and now back to digging holes for the wife's trees! :)

OkieDavid

Equipment
L 3010
Aug 29, 2012
Valliant, OK
Glad you got it figured out and THANK YOU for posting a follow up. A huge benefit to a forum like this is being able to add a new tool/trick to our mental "tool box".