BX24 Bachoe Wont swing left

Tim T

Equipment
BX24 Tractor with Loader and Backhoe
Jun 27, 2020
New York
My hoe will not swing left and i have check both swing check valves. I removed the swing cylinder pin that attaches to the swing frame and I can watch the cylinder operate in both directions. I tried to manually push the hoe left and right, but can't. I even tried to use a large tree as a fulcrum and still cant get it to move. Its like the swing are bushings are froze up. I did notice the bottom swing bushing locking bolt sheared off . i had to drill it out. My question is, should I be able to manually swing the how left or right with the cylinder attached? Help!!!

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
You should be able to swing the hoe by hand with the tractor not running by actuating the valve while pushing on the hoe. I can do that on my BX24. It does sound like you have a seized pivot pin.

Tim T

Equipment
Jun 27, 2020
New York
You should be able to swing the hoe by hand with the tractor not running by actuating the valve while pushing on the hoe. I can do that on my BX24. It does sound like you have a seized pivot pin.
Sound like it ! I ordered new pins,just waiting for them to com in. I asked the service department about it and of course, they never heard of such thing. 😆. Getting out is going to be a chore.

Tim T

Equipment
Jun 27, 2020
New York
So tue bottom pin is welded in place. I removed the hoe extend arm and then the attachement. I tried pilot drilling the pin, put a torch to it too heat it up and the pin still wont budge.

BXHoosier

Equipment
BX24
Jan 21, 2018
Indiana
Is there room to get a saw blade between the frame and pivot casting to cut the pin? I had a pin seized in one of my outriggers and I had to cut the pin with a sawzall to get the outrigger off to drill the pin out on a drill press.

Bullock

Equipment
BX2380, LA344 Loader, k51-20-06 Blower
Jun 20, 2020
Sault Ste. Marie, Canada
You could try liquid nitrogen or dry ice, to shrink the seized pin and then knock it out. You just have to be careful not to freeze the knuckle or you could shatter it, accidentally while knocking the pin out.

Tim T

Equipment
Jun 27, 2020
New York
Is there room to get a saw blade between the frame and pivot casting to cut the pin? I had a pin seized in one of my outriggers and I had to cut the pin with a sawzall to get the outrigger off to drill the pin out on a drill press.
I drilled a 1/2 hole down the center of the pin and all the way through. I thougjt the same thing with using a metal blade and a sawzall. I dont have a large enough drill bit to finish drilling out to accommodate the blade. So I am ordering one. I think if I cut it in two places, it should release and fall out.

Tim T

Equipment
Jun 27, 2020
New York
You could try liquid nitrogen or dry ice, to shrink the seized pin and then knock it out. You just have to be careful not to freeze the knuckle or you could shatter it, accidentally while knocking the pin out.
I thought of this too, but I didnt have any.

Tim T

Equipment
Jun 27, 2020
New York
I had to re-read your reply. There are washers there. I have new ones . I could try that way as well great idea

Chungus

Equipment
BX23S
Jul 20, 2020
Texas
I don’t know how hard you can push on the backhoe sideways without breaking something but you could apply a tremendous amount of force to the pin this way. I wonder if by doing this you could get the pin to break lose before something else broke or bent.

Tim T

Equipment
Jun 27, 2020
New York
I don’t know how hard you can push on the backhoe sideways without breaking something but you could apply a tremendous amount of force to the pin this way. I wonder if by doing this you could get the pin to break lose before something else broke or bent.
Took it to the machine shop, they used a torch to cut a relief and pounded it out. Funny thing is , there wasnt any sign other no grease. They told me it was friction welded.