BX23S growling noise

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
My bx23s with approx. 110 hrs on it, on occasion when using the hoe, I can hear what seems to be a growling type noise, not real loud and only last a short time. NO affect on the operation. Don't hear it when using just the FEL. HST fluid level OK. Have made my dealer aware of this. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just hearing things??

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
That's a little tough to diagnose from afar....

Bear under the tractor?

Is there a particular movement of the 'hoe that seems to be associated with the growl?

wgator

Equipment
L4701HST, FEL and other stuff.
Jul 28, 2018
NC
The "infamous BX23S backhoe". I say infamous because on this site a vast majority of them came from factory with painted over zerk fittings. Lots of posts about them. Dealer "predelivery prepped backhoe" (greased) painted over zerks that did not take grease. May not be your problem (dry pin) but I would check all zerks for paint, remove if there and grease the heck out of the pin.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My bx23s with approx. 110 hrs on it, on occasion when using the hoe, I can hear what seems to be a growling type noise, not real loud and only last a short time. NO affect on the operation. Don't hear it when using just the FEL. HST fluid level OK. Have made my dealer aware of this. Has anyone else experienced this or am I just hearing things??
Since you mentioned you hear it only when you’re using the backhoe, chances are what you’re hearing is the pressure relief valve activating.

At the moment you hear this does the motion you’re trying to make slow down or stop? That could be a hint, but it’s possible the pressure which the PRV trips open is just what you need, and speed change will not be apparent.

Perhaps you could try to move something immovable, like a large stump or something, and see if you hear the same sound.

Reactions: 1 users