BX23s fuel filters

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
OK, just how LONG does it take you guys to change filters on your BX23s and cousins ? And HOW do you do it??
So far I've spent 2 hours getting the fan shield off,remove 1st filter holddown bolt and 1 hose clip. Sigh. Manual was useless..says 'contact Kubota...', hmm...THAT should have bee a clue that it ain't easy.
I can see WHY aftermarket filter kits came out...just don't like where it sits, exposed.
Oh well...I've 'marked' all day for this job..just be interesting to know 'how to' for next time...
Happy New year BTW !!

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
tis a wee bit of the painintheass is it?

1st time I took that ##@#$$%%## fan shield off - I too cussed, then getting to the first filter - that was fun - NOT. I did get smart however, I had in my hand a 1/4 turn ball valve that I placed on the end of the fuel line!!! After that it was simply a huge pain to get down and under and what not.

Back in March when they shut schools down - I got to thinking, I ought to go ahead and fix this piss poor thought of the primary filter. Again I had all my ducks in a row and rerouted the entire filtering system.

Several people rerouted the pump too - I left mine where it is. I moved the primary filter to the front with the ability to drain off any water and sediment using a racor filter.

I will tell you this - to reroute the entire thing is just as fast as changing the first filter! It does cost more - but it is a "one and done" deal too. Whatever method you choose for your primary filter - move it to the front with some added hose, cutoff valve and you never need to climb under again. (other than to change the pump - if you choose to leave it there)

Attachments

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
it's not that bad after you do it a time or two.

what I ran into often was folks would toss an aftermarket single filter over on the loader frame, and it'd be clamped improperly, or it'd leak because the o-ring wasn't installed properly, or it'd get knocked off at the most critical time (in brush/trees/logs where you can't get to it). There just ain't a good solution the way that the tractor is designed.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
In front of hydro fan where it can freeze up in winter (with mower locked in top position) OR relocated where it can be damaged in the summer :unsure::unsure::unsure:

I prefer to do field repairs in the summer - yeah had the winter freeze up.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
11 Am finally got her running again...... so ONLY 4 hours this morning plus 2 last night for 'prep' work....sigh... At least no bandaids were needed though the hernia is now egg sized....dbl sigh....
WILL be going to 'replumb' next time AND do it in summer NOT the day before a week of freezing rain/snow/sleet/YUCK.......

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
i got one of those that need a fixin' ------ ol hernia! right at the ol' bellybutton..... a hernia belt helps a great deal!!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
this one is on top of stomach where food enters,when it 'pops' ,if I bend over I can tell exactly what I had to eat.....and not 'bad' enough to operate as I can 'burp' most times....
so as long as I don't drink coffee, eat chocolate, bend over....I'm 'within specs'....

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You guys should get those umbilical hernias repaired... it’s a pretty minor piece of surgery and you’ll be glad ....and it’s a lot simpler than the gangrene that can happen if you ignore it. BTDT

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
You guys should get those umbilical hernias repaired... it’s a pretty minor piece of surgery and you’ll be glad ....and it’s a lot simpler than the gangrene that can happen if you ignore it. BTDT
Not sure that what was described was an umbilical hernia.

Anyway, probably good to address actual issues.

My brother decided to get a repair to an actual umbilical hernia that was not really an issue, but he was going to lose insurance so he thought he would get it done. BIG mistake. Without getting into details, the surgeon messed it up, and he suffered for quite a while until he found another surgeon to correct the mistakes/poor results.

Sometimes it is best NOT to think everything is going to be a slam dunk when it comes to medical treatment.

edit: I think he ended up getting some kind of public health assistance so he could get it fixed right. Do not remember exactly. It was a relatively long haul though.

John T

Equipment
2017 BX23S
May 5, 2017
under a rock
OK, just how LONG does it take you guys to change filters on your BX23s and cousins ? And HOW do you do it??
So far I've spent 2 hours getting the fan shield off,remove 1st filter holddown bolt and 1 hose clip. .
Done mine Twice. first time never removed the fan shield.... no need. (I assume mid mower is removed)
plenty of room to get in there... even with my ham hock hands.... cut a few zip ties and you can gain a couple inchs pulling towards the front.
VERY simple.

2nd time I relocated the rear filter and lift pump.

yep,
Summertime or a heated garage helps.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
1st 'repaired' hernia, 5 decades ago, when I was 17 ,never lasted more than 3 months, so since then been reasonably careful about lifting 'stuff'. This 'upper' one is manageable and quacks up here say 'it's not bad enough'(burb test) to warrant surgery though if THEY had it.hmm..they'd be #1 on the list. World famous clinic,only hernias, says 6-8 weeks of rest.no lifting. right...hmm which 2-3 MONTHS would you choose to sit on your butt ? Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall ? Even though I've been retired for 30+ years, there's still a LOT of work that needs to be done and mysteriously others 'vanish' when grunt work is on the list. hmmm.The BX23s does most of the 'hard labour', that's why I bought it 2 years ago.

thebicman

Equipment
B2601 + BX2755HD + 50" box blade
Feb 2, 2017
Ottawa, ontario
Just finished dinner and I know I had too much wine but did I miss something here. Doing some light reading about fuel filters and then it all of a sudden switched to hernias. Got to stop drinking so much. LOL.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
well back to the original saga.... new filters in , worked a bit ,then kinda died,like line or tank plugged then not......spent 7 hrs today to remove fueltank .Whoever wrote the WSM should try to follow it and remove the tank...grrrrrr.....
It's the 'little details' like 'remove PTO knob. well it don't unscrew!!! Try taht and the entire $$$ shaft comes outta the machine !!! Yhen it's WHY have 14 and 15mm bolts in thesame area? grrrrrr....
OH well, tank is out, YUP PLUGGED, reverse blew and some flow, drained 2 gallons and a small black 'donut' came out...maybe an itty bitty O-ring ????
Going to rinse/drain 3-4 more times tomorrow but she'll still be out of commission until I get PTO knob and clip.
So just HOW does one get that knob off ???

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Most things I have read is that the knobs are pressed onto the shaft. Some heat is usually recommended to remove them. I have never removed one yet but you may want to get a new one and then cut the old one off with a Dremel tool with a cutter blade.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
well back to the original saga.... new filters in , worked a bit ,then kinda died,like line or tank plugged then not......spent 7 hrs today to remove fueltank .Whoever wrote the WSM should try to follow it and remove the tank...grrrrrr.....
It's the 'little details' like 'remove PTO knob. well it don't unscrew!!! Try taht and the entire $$$ shaft comes outta the machine !!! Yhen it's WHY have 14 and 15mm bolts in thesame area? grrrrrr....
OH well, tank is out, YUP PLUGGED, reverse blew and some flow, drained 2 gallons and a small black 'donut' came out...maybe an itty bitty O-ring ????
Going to rinse/drain 3-4 more times tomorrow but she'll still be out of commission until I get PTO knob and clip.
So just HOW does one get that knob off ???

Jay,

while you have the tank off - might ought to look at the sending unit..... that might be where the "plugged" line came from - seems that sending unit ........ rusts and crumbles and those little pieces clog up the works!!!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
thanks for the tip ! It'll give me another hole to slosh 'cleaning fluid' aka winter windshield fluid in. After that lots of compressed air to dry the tank, rince with alcohol, nuther blow dry or two...
wish I had on of those 'inspection cameras'...
oh well
hopefully I can put 'humpty Dumpty back together tomorrow......

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
thanks for the tip ! It'll give me another hole to slosh 'cleaning fluid' aka winter windshield fluid in. After that lots of compressed air to dry the tank, rince with alcohol, nuther blow dry or two...
wish I had on of those 'inspection cameras'...
oh well
hopefully I can put 'humpty Dumpty back together tomorrow......
Actually those inspection cameras are pretty cheap now. I bought one just to have, and it works real well. Do not remember the price, but being cheap it was not too expensive. It was a "just in case" purchase. I would bet I paid less than $50 delivered, and it has a fairly high resolution camera...1080p I think...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
Finally got it all together and running proper....cept for the 3pt 'stayput' knob. Busted that cause the WSM 'remove knob' wasn't too helpful. I expected it to unscrew...nope... unscrewed the whole shaft and stuff. With 'lock down' up here ,it'll be interesting to get the parts....but I've never used the 3pt in 2.5 years so not a big deal..
Supposed to get 10 tandem loads of topsoil tomorrow, which'll be 40 loads in the dump trailer, so we'll see how it goes....wonder what Kubota would charge for a 'tank R+R' ?