BX23S Engine Temperature Gauge Never Rises

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
I've had my BX23s for almost a year now, and in about 70 hrs of operating time the engine temperature gauge needle has never left its "at rest" position (except for startup when it sweeps to the top and then back to at rest). This includes a couple days mowing for over an hour in 85+ degree weather, not a blip. Pic below is after ~1.5hrs or mowing mid-June.

I brought this up to my sales guy last fall and he said something along the lines of "these diesel engines run really cool". I'm under the impression it should work like a car engine temp gauge, usually steady at some mid range value so one can see when something is going poorly...either way. Do I need to push this with my dealer and try to contact a tech directly for confirmation?

Edit: Ach, forgot the pic.

Attachments

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
You're right, it should not be resting at cold.

If it is the sensor or wiring, it can be easily fixed.

But if the problem is the gauge in the console that can get expensive.

You're also right in that if it does overheat, it can get expensive real fast.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
I've had my BX23s for almost a year now, and in about 70 hrs of operating time the engine temperature gauge needle has never left its "at rest" position (except for startup when it sweeps to the top and then back to at rest). This includes a couple days mowing for over an hour in 85+ degree weather, not a blip. Pic below is after ~1.5hrs or mowing mid-June.

I brought this up to my sales guy last fall and he said something along the lines of "these diesel engines run really cool". I'm under the impression it should work like a car engine temp gauge, usually steady at some mid range value so one can see when something is going poorly...either way. Do I need to push this with my dealer and try to contact a tech directly for confirmation?

Edit: Ach, forgot the pic.
The checking of the sensor and the temperature system is easy and is a skill worth learning.

You need a multi meter but one worth $15 is adequate.

I have attached the necessary pages from the WSM

Dave

Attachments

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
"But if the problem is the gauge in the console that can get expensive."

Jim L, I didn't think of that, but I'm still a couple weeks within warranty, thankfully!

"Maybe the thermostat is stuck open?"

dochsml, I assume that's relatively easy to check, I'll see what the dealer says about checking the thermostat and the temperature sensor vs having them pick the tractor up. I hope the thermostat is easily accessible, have to check the WSM.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
remove the little wire from the sending unit on the head and push the little wire onto a ground point while the key is "on". Gauge should peg "hot". If not, wiring or gauge suspect. If it does, the sending unit is bad.

if in warranty take it to dealer and let them figure it out before it goes out of warranty. If the warranty is up for instance 7/14/20, and you show up at dealer at 12:01am 7/15, your warranty has expired. Kubota doesn't bend much on this stuff anymore, well neither does anyone else.

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
remove the little wire from the sending unit on the head and push the little wire onto a ground point while the key is "on". Gauge should peg "hot". If not, wiring or gauge suspect. If it does, the sending unit is bad.

if in warranty take it to dealer and let them figure it out before it goes out of warranty. If the warranty is up for instance 7/14/20, and you show up at dealer at 12:01am 7/15, your warranty has expired. Kubota doesn't bend much on this stuff anymore, well neither does anyone else.
lugbolt, when you specify "little wire from the sending unit on the head" are you talking about the contacts on the coolant temperature connector or the connector, or are you referring to the console when you say "head"?

Just checked my invoice, dated 7/25/19 and my sales guy said he just forwarded my email this morning to the service dept for guidance to see (I assume) if I could do some of the simple diagnostics/ work myself.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
but I'm still a couple weeks within warranty, thankfully!

Good that you have an email on record. For sure stay on top with warranty rapidly closing.

Lugbolt is talking about the cylinder head where the temperature sensor is located. Small length wire with connector at end. WSM explains how to test sensor and gauge.

Thermostat may be tested from a cold engine, taking off radiator cap, starting engine, and observing when coolant starts to move looking down radiator.

aaluck

Equipment
L4400HST, Bush Hog 276, RDTH60, Speeco PHD, etc
Oct 9, 2019
Snowdoun, AL
As stated above, I don't think thats normal or working. I would have it fixed immediately under the warranty, don't mess with trying to figure it out yourself.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If this tractor is still in warranty the dealer should FIX it instead of lying to you about cool-running-diesel engines. Clearly that salesman is being dishonest and I would be very gentle but firm in telling him so directly and to his manager.

If the gauge is ”supposed” to swing fully as part of a start-up test...(check the manual)... then that tells you it’s not the gauge and “may” tell you the wiring is OK (leaving the sensor at fault.)

But it’s disappointing that some people (salesmen, etc) will “make up“ answers rather than refer you to someone more knowledgeable. THAT is something the dealership mgmt should be vigorously fussed at for .

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
GeoHorn,

If this tractor is still in warranty the dealer should FIX it instead of lying to you about cool-running-diesel engines. Clearly that salesman is being dishonest and I would be very gentle but firm in telling him so directly and to his manager.
He was a bit more dismissive of this in the fall and one or two little things during the purchase process than I would have preferred, but he was really only point for other stuff, so generally positive. I know my detailed/ ignorant questions can annoy people, so I try to give extra latitude. :)

If the gauge is ”supposed” to swing fully as part of a start-up test...(check the manual)... then that tells you it’s not the gauge and “may” tell you the wiring is OK (leaving the sensor at fault.)
Keeping an eye out for this very thing as I go through relevant parts of the WSM.

But it’s disappointing that some people (salesmen, etc) will “make up“ answers rather than refer you to someone more knowledgeable. THAT is something the dealership mgmt should be vigorously fussed at for .
Yeah....but after they cover any repairs and, I hope, transport as mentioned during sales discussion(s). [They're not the closest dealer to me.]

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
Lugbolt is talking about the cylinder head where the temperature sensor is located. Small length wire with connector at end. WSM explains how to test sensor and gauge.
Cool, found it, looking for my good DMM....crappy one is dead.

Thermostat may be tested from a cold engine, taking off radiator cap, starting engine, and observing when coolant starts to move looking down radiator.
Only an inch from top of radiator cap/neck to coolant level...will startup make a mess?

Thanks!

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Only an inch from top of radiator cap/neck to coolant level...will startup make a mess?

No mess. You will shut off engine and let everything cool. This is after seeing coolant move and taking temperature, comparing with thermostat spec.

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
Got it, thanks, Jim L. Either way (see below), I'm going to check this, too!

Current status is:
- checked the wiring harness connector to coolant temp sensor: reading 5.012V with key/ switch on.
- checked coolant temp sensor at two posts/ contacts: reading open circuit/ infinite resistance.

Waiting to hear from service dept/ tech....thank you, everyone!

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
Service dept guy said it does sound like the coolant temp sensor is faulty, going to schedule a stop by when out this way to take care of it...especially since warranty repair transport such as this is not covered, another discrepancy from my discussions with my sales guy. :-/

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
sounds you and the sales guy need to come to a better understanding.

someone mentioned that the salesman outta transfer all questions to the shop. Well there's truth to that, however the next problem we (as techs) see is the service manager constantly running to us techs with tech questions, all day long, a hundred (plus) times a day. We are paid to fix people's stuff not talk on the phone and no there is not enough money in the budget to hire 15 technicians so that 12 of them can answer tech calls all day, not at what it takes to hire & maintain a good tech. That is a job I used to do, I was the service writer, service manager, assembly guy, lead tech, and "B" tech, along with the lot porter and parts puller. Trust me, there is a reason that techs are techs and phone jockeys are phone jockeys, it's too easy to screw up a repair when you're in the middle of it and a customer walks in and says "hey I need help" or the phone rings and you go answer it, and the guy on the other line says "does warranty cover pickup & delivery?". My answer to that question is "what does your book say?"

nobody reads them apparently.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Why would anyone talk to a Salesman about a service issue?????????????????? You don't talk to the service department about buying one, do you??
There are different departments for a reason, Sales does sales, Parts does parts, Service does service, Setup and assembly does setup and assembly, Trucking does trucking.
For some reason, sales seem to think they are all departments rather than directing customers to the appropriate department.
The old "I talked to the salesperson about it while it was under warranty" will get you nowhere.

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
sounds you and the sales guy need to come to a better understanding.

someone mentioned that the salesman outta transfer all questions to the shop. Well there's truth to that, however the next problem we (as techs) see is the service manager constantly running to us techs with tech questions, all day long, a hundred (plus) times a day. We are paid to fix people's stuff not talk on the phone and no there is not enough money in the budget to hire 15 technicians so that 12 of them can answer tech calls all day, not at what it takes to hire & maintain a good tech. That is a job I used to do, I was the service writer, service manager, assembly guy, lead tech, and "B" tech, along with the lot porter and parts puller. Trust me, there is a reason that techs are techs and phone jockeys are phone jockeys, it's too easy to screw up a repair when you're in the middle of it and a customer walks in and says "hey I need help" or the phone rings and you go answer it, and the guy on the other line says "does warranty cover pickup & delivery?".
All good points.

My answer to that question is "what does your book say?"

nobody reads them apparently.
Personally, I read everything except the bulk of the WSM before I signed. My warranty excludes transportation but on the very next page says:

In those cases in which it is inconvenient to deliver
the equipment to the dealer, the warranty repairs
may be made by the dealer at the customer’s
location. However, please note that the dealer
may charge for either pickup &
delivery, or for travel time and mileage.
These charges are not covered under
the Kubota Limited Warranty and are
the customer’s responsibility.*
and since I don't have a trailer or reasonable towing vehicle, yet, I asked about it, at both dealers. The closer one said they might waive for some things, my dealer (or at least the sales guy it seems) said they'd cover transport for [larger/ complicated] warranty issues I couldn't handle (with reasonable scheduling, which I totally get).

But, I'm still learning...and saving up for a trailer and truck.

By the by, KTAC explicitly includes transport for covered losses [to be repaired].

Just.a.hobby

Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2018
Central NJ
Why would anyone talk to a Salesman about a service issue??????????????????
My sales guy seemed to act a bit as a "point man", so I followed his lead, I guess.

You don't talk to the service department about buying one, do you??
I did, actually...a tech and the guys at the counter seemed okay with chatting a few quick minutes since there were no other customers. They had a couple interesting points of guidance and I have found them to be true. But I do take your point. :)