BX23S Bigger Backhoe Bucket?

mdmoore00

Equipment
BX23S
Jul 9, 2022
Montana USA
Greetings All, I have been digging septic infiltration trenches with my 12" bucket with ease and I am entertaining the idea of a wider bucket. I primarily dig in decomposed granite that comes out with ease and maybe a bigger bucket will save a little time.
Does anyone have a recommendation or can you help me better understand how to find a bucket that will work? What is the distance between pin holes I am looking for? I have a BX-Expanded quick attachment, does that help with finding a compatible bucket? Can a Kubota mini-excavator bucket attach?

Thanks,

Matt

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Kubota does offer a 16” bucket for the BX23S
P/N- BT2416

I believe you will have to go through the sales department at the dealer instead of the parts department.

ED6EE240-3583-4000-B38A-AB7F6EAD66A8.png

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
I went through my dealer for a 16” and it took a good while to get. Then dropped at local fab shop and had the teeth cut off. It’s nice to have both toothed and flat face available. I have the QA. I’ve heard of others that find buckets and order the “ears” to make them work.

This company might be able to help you with that.

https://poconometalcraft.com/collections/kubota

This place maybe worth a call too. I heard at one time they manufactured Kubota BH buckets for Kubota (info I have not verified).

https://werk-brau.com/about-us/

I’m using my FF for first time this week to excavate for a flagstone walkway.

Good luck.

A6CC2A46-0DAD-430C-8C25-4637EEABB7BF.jpeg

Reactions: 1 user

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
I went through my dealer for a 16” and it took a good while to get. Then dropped at local fab shop and had the teeth cut off. It’s nice to have both toothed and flat face available. I have the QA. I’ve heard of others that find buckets and order the “ears” to make them work.

This place maybe worth a call too. I heard at one time they manufactured Kubota BH buckets for Kubota (info I have not verified).

Good luck.

View attachment 83328
The 16" bucket does not have bolt on teeth?

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
Greetings All, I have been digging septic infiltration trenches with my 12" bucket with ease and I am entertaining the idea of a wider bucket. I primarily dig in decomposed granite that comes out with ease and maybe a bigger bucket will save a little time.
Does anyone have a recommendation or can you help me better understand how to find a bucket that will work? What is the distance between pin holes I am looking for? I have a BX-Expanded quick attachment, does that help with finding a compatible bucket? Can a Kubota mini-excavator bucket attach?

Thanks,

Matt
I also have the BXpanded Quick Change attachment. We also have a Kubota U17 mini-excavator with a 13" bucket and I was wanting to use the smaller bucket to see if the BX23 would dig better. They do not look as if they would swap and I have read that they won't, although I physically did not try to swap.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
That's a 'trenching' bucket, no teeth needed
WRONG!
Check out Kubota K7873.......It is a 16" Kubota trenching bucket (by Werk Brau for Kubota), and has 3 teeth.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I also have the BXpanded Quick Change attachment. We also have a Kubota U17 mini-excavator with a 13" bucket and I was wanting to use the smaller bucket to see if the BX23 would dig better. They do not look as if they would swap and I have read that they won't, although I physically did not try to swap.
They will not swap.
Different coupler.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My 16" bucket has 3 teeth.

Good luck.

View attachment 83328
Land Pride has apparently made some buckets for Kubota, but Werk Brau seems to be the current Kubota primary supplier.

Werk Brau will not sell direct!
I called them several months ago.

I just bought a Kubota (Werk Brau) 16" quick attach bucket last week, for $1100, from Chappell Tractor in Milford, NH (have not picked it up yet).

I did so because Messick's has also had one on E-bay for 4+ months at #1100 plus shipping (est. $170).
It sold last week at $1100, and Messick's immediately listed another at $1428 plus shipping (it is still there....check it out). That is a 29.9% price increase.

For anyone close to Coleman's in Kansas, they still have one listed on their website for $1005.
That is one hell of a deal in today's market, especially if a buyer can pick it up rather than having it shipped.

BTW: If you buy two extra teeth, and two extra tooth pins,
you can have an adaptable smooth edge/tooth digging bucket.

Weld a 4" x 1/2 "piece of Ar 400 to the two outboad teeth. and you have a smooth edge bucket.
Knock out the two outboard tooth pins, pop the edge off, put on the two new outboard teeth, and you have a tooth bucket.
Back and forth the swap can be made.
The center tooth just stays there.
I plan to do this to my 24" bucket, to use as a narrow grading bucket.

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re:

WRONG!
Check out Kubota K7873.......It is a 16" Kubota bucket (by Werk Brau for Kubota), and has 3 teeth.

hmm, picture in #3 post, NO mfr or part number, which I was referring to, the bucket does NOT have holes for mounting teeth. Around here ,we call them 'trenching' buckets ( leaves smooth tench).

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
re:

WRONG!
Check out Kubota K7873.......It is a 16" Kubota bucket (by Werk Brau for Kubota), and has 3 teeth.

hmm, picture in #3 post, NO mfr or part number, which I was referring to, the bucket does NOT have holes for mounting teeth. Around here ,we call them 'trenching' buckets ( leaves smooth tench).
Since the new bucket was specifically "modified" to have the teeth removed, it might be reasonable to conclude that the "fab shop" welded the no longer needed teeth holes closed.

pjoh784350

Equipment
May 3, 2019
Danville
re:

WRONG!

OP mentions having shop modification to remove teeth. My question was simply did it have bolt on teeth, which seems if it did why have shop do further modification? Just unbolt the teeth and you now have your grading bucket?

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Yes, the bucket came with 3 teeth. Kubota does not sell a FF bucket (I’m told). I ordered it last June(ish) and it arrived in April.

Here’s cost and a before pic. The teeth will interchange with my 18” toothed bucket so I kept them. I ordered a 16” because it was cheaper and most footings (for residential work) here in MI are 16”x8”.

71D763F9-65E2-4BD4-84B0-973A58B8B608.png

5CD02885-52D2-434A-B49C-DA5F23127D34.jpeg

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
Weld a 4" x 1/2 "piece of Ar 400 to the two outboad teeth. and you have a smooth edge bucket.
Knock out the two outboard tooth pins, pop the edge off, put on the two new outboard teeth, and you have a tooth bucket.
I was thinking of doing something similar, but basically one big "v" tooth that would slip over all the teeth and pin to the back of the bucket somewhere.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I was thinking of doing something similar, but basically one big "v" tooth that would slip over all the teeth and pin to the back of the bucket somewhere.
"My idea" is not really "my idea"!
It is a suggestion by an expert at bucket manufacturer AIM Attachments, in Grove City, Ohio.
They apparently build buckets with the teeth/smooth edge swap option, on request.

I actually considered buying an AIM 16" Q/A bucket, but it is listed at being 63 lbs heavier than the Kubota/Werk Brau bucket. The AIM bucket price and shipping cost also just went up.

I found a Kubota/Werk Brau bucket at an $1100 "old" price.
Coleman Equipment in KS/MO has 4 of them at a still "older" price of $1005, but shipping would have brought that up to $1200 for me.

AIM buckets are sold on E-Bay under "bestattachments".
My L48 TLB is a strong machine, but is not as strong as a mini-Ex, so the AIM 63 lbs. of additional weight, way out there at the very end of the dipper, matters to me.

Last edited:

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
OP mentions having shop modification to remove teeth. My question was simply did it have bolt on teeth, which seems if it did why have shop do further modification? Just unbolt the teeth and you now have your grading bucket?
Kubota/Werk Brau buckets do not have bolt on teeth!
They have pin on teeth, and the root of the tooth is welded to the bucket.
Less expensive buckets often do have bolt on teeth.

Last edited:

pjoh784350

Equipment
May 3, 2019
Danville
Kubota/Werk Brau buckets do not have bolt on teeth!
They have pin on teeth, and the root of the tooth is welded to the bucket.
Less expensive buckets often do have bolt on teeth.
Yes, saw that in the picture he provided

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
My bucket tooth needs a root canal procedure. Any advice on how to start?