BX23S, B2601, LX2610 - Just bought 8 wooded acres (but also have access to larger tractor of grandpas)

JoeBabbs

Equipment
L3800, FEL, BH, box blade, front tine bucket, hydraulic front angle blade
Jan 20, 2020
Ithaca, NY USA
I see lots of BX on Craigslist with double digit hours for sale. Far fewer B or L series. That influenced my choice to buy an L3800 when one appeared on CL with 321 hours and a good price. Maybe more tractor than i need now, but no regrets.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Both of these Utubers have comparison videos.

I feel dealer relationship is an important part of tractor ownership. If going JD route get a SSQA front mount, larger selection of accessories from any dealer.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
If the JD dealer gives you service and the Kubota dealer doesn't, that's a very material difference.

I agree that the JD1025R seems to fit between the BX and the B. Personally I think I'd still rather have the B2601, and the mower mounting on the B2601 is good enough for me (and a step up from the BX). I'm a little dubious about the auto-connect of driveshaft on the JD, but I've never owned one so maybe they're excellent.

On capacities, the B has more capacity and more clearance than the JD.

A lot of this comes down to price and budget. And of course the JD2 series is bigger than the B2601, so maybe you should look at that. Effectively you now have half increments to look at between the BX, the B2601 and the B2650.

I avoided that problem by determining I just liked Kubotas and didn't want to shop green. :)

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
Both of these Utubers have comparison videos.

I feel dealer relationship is an important part of tractor ownership. If going JD route get a SSQA front mount, larger selection of accessories from any dealer.
I feel having this forum available is perhaps more valuable than your dealer relationship. Most of this smaller equipment is pretty low maintenance. if you were farming a thousand acres with a million dollars worth of equipment and needed immediate repairs the dealer relationship means a lot. Less so in this situation in my opinion. Good luck and have fun.

Reactions: 2 users

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Call that JD dealer and ask him for a part for that JD. He will ask you what your serial number is. Why? Because they use whatever is cheapest that day to build them, so the serial number will tell them for instance if they put a TYM, a Yanmar, a yashida etc. motor in it that day.

I went with the Kubota for parts availability as well as it is the most American made CUT tractor out there.

Kubota motor - Made by Kubota in Illinois.
Kubota tractor - built by Kubota in Georgia.

John Deere - What was your serial number again?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I have been reading this and thought I would toss in my 2 cents. he BX is a fine LITTLE tractor and mine has served me admirably, from mowing to snow plowing to pulling wood out of the wood lot. I have a B waiting to get to me only because my BX has reached a point of finding things I want are more than what it is worth. Now with that being said, if I may. While I am all about self reliance and doing everything you can by your self, ther is a point in time when,
1 it is much easyer, safer and smarter, letting someone with the right equipment and knowledge do it
2 In the long run the cost is negligible
3 Anything they tear up equipment wise is on them and not out of pocket for you.
4 If you have everything laid out, foundation or slab , drain lines, stptic tank hole, water lines electric lines if underground, your job will go much faster and be better than you doing it your self.
Yes its cool that grand pap has a BH , you however are going to need more than a hoe
So yes for the expence, have someone with the know how and equipment do the work, you will have beaucoup to do when they are done. Sometimes ya just have to spend the money and save your self a lot of grief and heart aches .. Just MHO

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Involve your grandfather and stepfather in the decision process (assuming you have a good relationship with them both). They have probably been through similar situations with similar issues and would be happy you asked them for input.

My input is to buy used and large now, sell or trade in when done building or just add in a mower at that time.

fishdrivel

Equipment
b2501
Nov 24, 2020
georgia
Would you happen to have any input on how a B2601 w/MMM would perform compared to the BX? I guess thats the big consideration for me. Yeah its $4,900 more (and thats a consideration), but I just don't want something that has too high of center of gravity so that I can still have a very capable tractor for helping mow the hills on my grandpas property.

Yeah its things like the plastic cooling fan on the BX that made me want to go one step up to a B2601 so that I wouldn't have to worry as much about it when I'm clearing brush in the woods with the grapple.

Your list of Pros/Cons are similar to what I have listed in my head.

The more I read these replys, the more I'm leaning B2601. Just still have that nagging feeling of "If I can make a BX work during the clearing and construction phase, I can save $4900 and potentially have a more capable machine for mowing".
I have a B2601. My last tractor was a B2910.
These are compact tractors and very comfortable and user friendly.
I would not feel uncomfortable using them for anything the BX could do.
On the other hand, I would find the BX uncomfortable for many tasks the B would do well.
I use the B2601 a lot in the woods. Low ground clearance of the BX would be a problem.
I'd suggest the B, it will never feel like too much tractor.

Note: I do not push the sidehill issue much. I have never rolled a tractor.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I see lots of BX on Craigslist with double digit hours for sale. Far fewer B or L series. Maybe more tractor than i need now, but no regrets.
I think this is telling... Finding a (well-kept) used 2601 or 2650 is nearly impossible (at least in my neck of the woods). People just don't let them go. BXs on the other hand, pop up all the time... gateway drugs

Reactions: 2 users

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
So here is a huge curve ball that I'll bring into the discussion (please don't run me out of here!). I stopped by a John Deere dealer today just to compare...

There was also a HUGE difference is how the dealer treated me.
I am not a fan of green tractors, but a good dealer is a huge factor to consider. The Kubota dealer isn't going to be any nicer after he has you money.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
One piece of advice I got when shopping was "shop the dealer, not the brand". I knew nothing about tractors, so I had a lot of questions. I had two dealers who treated my like an annoyance, but the Kubota dealer took the time to educate me so that I could make an informed decision. That's what sealed the deal for me.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If I was in your situation I would not purchase a backhoe. Have a conversation with your grandfather, letting him know you appreciate him selling you ground for a home, what you building plans are, and what tools you think you'll need. In this conversation I would let him know I don't want to impose on you in any way, and I don't want to be using your equipment. I'd say, "I know you like to get out and work your tractor. So I was wondering if I could hire you to do some work for me when it comes to anything requiring a backhoe? And if you didn't feel comfortable doing that, I might just rent one. I think I'd only need one during the building process."

Just a conversation to get on the same page. It may build more trust with him, let him feel important by helping you, and be sure to treat him fairly. He will appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 users