BX2380 to a BX23S Maybe have a question for those that have the 23S

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Alright I am about to rent an mini ex again. I went to the Kubota Dealer and they have a brand new BX23S along with a used one a 2020 with 320 hours on it.

I figured I would look at the used one and see what type of a deal we could make for it. Let's say they are proud of it.

So I am thinking of trading my 2019 BX2380 with 54 inch drive over MMM and pinned loader with 140 hours for the new BX23S with backhoe and SSQ loader. I am thinking of adding the 3rd function for the loader, a thumb for the bucket and a regular 54 inch MMM . I won't have to finance this if that matters.

Now my question. I use my BX2380 to mow, pretty much weekly, also I use a 3 point wood chipper from time to time. How hard is it to swap out the backhoe to install the 3 point? Can I have the mower installed with the backhoe or do the under bracing get in the way? I am heading back to the dealer tomorrow morning to either make the deal or rent the mini ex.

Reactions: 1 user

The Plunk

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 16, 2021
Western PA
Backhoe is super easy to get off, especially if you get the backhoe dolly from bxexpander.com. I can have mine on and off in under a minute. It also doesn’t interfere with the MMM. I have a regular 60” on mine and basically leave it in all the time. I mow weekly with mine too. I’d pull the trigger if I were you, you won’t regret it.

Reactions: 1 users

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Alright I am about to rent an mini ex again. I went to the Kubota Dealer and they have a brand new BX23S along with a used one a 2020 with 320 hours on it.

I figured I would look at the used one and see what type of a deal we could make for it. Let's say they are proud of it.

So I am thinking of trading my 2019 BX2380 with 54 inch drive over MMM and pinned loader with 140 hours for the new BX23S with backhoe and SSQ loader. I am thinking of adding the 3rd function for the loader, a thumb for the bucket and a regular 54 inch MMM . I won't have to finance this if that matters.

Now my question. I use my BX2380 to mow, pretty much weekly, also I use a 3 point wood chipper from time to time. How hard is it to swap out the backhoe to install the 3 point? Can I have the mower installed with the backhoe or do the under bracing get in the way? I am heading back to the dealer tomorrow morning to either make the deal or rent the mini ex.
(Preface: I'm an accountant)
It's easy, it's not that bad, and I'm a newB at it. Can't take mine off in a minute like the guy above, but in 2 years I've taken it off, oh 3-4 times and it's taken me under 5 mins each time, maybe 5+ to get it back on.

The 3 pt hitch kit can be intimidating to assemble at first, but once its together its that way forever.

Level ground I think is key.
I think Kubota has pretty much mastered the quick on and off of the hoe and 3 pt hitch attachment with the 23S. I think you'll be happy.

hagrid

Lifetime Member

Equipment
K1600GTL, ZX-14R
Jun 11, 2018
Pittsburgh
You'll need to remove the 3pt arms to put the backhoe on. The arms and the backhoe cannot coexist, regardless of the bumper stickers you see on Prii and Subies.

• Haha

leveraddict

Equipment
2017 BX23S 60" LP BoxBlade 54" mower 60" BackBlade EA 12" 1 bottom plow & Forks
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
There's no need to remove the 3-point arms just the 3-point hitch.

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
One big factor you may be missing though is that the BX backhoe does not compare to a mini-ex. In my opinion if you do a lot of excavating a BX backhoe will be a huge disappointment. I typically use the backhoe "standing backward" in the seat vs. getting off and spinning the seat. The backhoe swing is limited, so putting material in a specific location is not doable. The BX backhoe is a great tool but compared to a mini-ex it is not a very good substitute. Trenching, digging rocks or small areas is fine. If you've been renting a mini-ex I think you will be greatly disappointed in the backhoe.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
One big factor you may be missing though is that the BX backhoe does not compare to a mini-ex. In my opinion if you do a lot of excavating a BX backhoe will be a huge disappointment. I typically use the backhoe "standing backward" in the seat vs. getting off and spinning the seat. The backhoe swing is limited, so putting material in a specific location is not doable. The BX backhoe is a great tool but compared to a mini-ex it is not a very good substitute. Trenching, digging rocks or small areas is fine. If you've been renting a mini-ex I think you will be greatly disappointed in the backhoe.
This is all certainly true. I have an old mini ex and a tractor backhoe. My son in law has a BX23S.

The SIL gets A LOT DONE WITH THE BX which would never happen if he had to rent something every time. I found this to be true in my case too with the backhoe on my slightly larger Kubota.

It is a trade off for sure, but one neither my SIL or I never regretted. I do tike the mini ex better though, for digging. 😂

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Do yourself a favour, rent a BX23S for the weekend from Homedepot. See how it compares to a miniex, for the type of work you need it for.
It'll be money well spent, no matter what the outcome is !

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Pretty sure you can leave the MMM on with the BH in place! Sorry I don’t have one to confirm for you. As others have said the BH is easier to get off than on. I’ve only had my unit for a few months - Hrs are less than 50 - only taken off a few times, so not really experienced. Hardest thing for me is getting the pins lined up initially - if the grounds not level, you are reversing etc. I frigged around for 20 mins last time putting it back on. That was an unusual experience. Once the pins are in it’s easy peasy.

leveraddict is correct. 3 pt Arms stay on - hitch gets removed.

Dave Ogren

Equipment
BX23S w/FEL &BH &60" Mowing Deck, 48" Dirty Dog Box Blade, 48" Tar River Tiller,
Feb 16, 2022
Asheville, N. C.
We have a BX23S and a U17 Mini-X. There is no comparison as far as digging goes.
The BX has a 12 " bucket while the Mini has a 16" bucket and a lot more power and a hydraulic thumb (which is a needed item). The back hoe comes off and the 3 PH goes on in a short time. Takes me about 5 to 10 min. Also the size of your work area is a big concern. The BX23S can cover a lot of ground doing various things while the Mini-X travels a lot slower. Just plain digging the Mini-X has it hands down, but that is all it can do. With both you have the best of both worlds, but the a person always needs more horse power, so what is a person to do ??

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Well thanks for all the replies. I bought the BX23S with grapple, 54 inch MMM and thumb. Kubota is offering 0% interest, so I figure why take money out of my account that is earning a little interest.

I understand the difference in a Mini X and a backhoe use. The issue is I have to wait until I get several jobs backed up around the house before it is cost effective to rent one. This way I can just keep going until I finish the entire job and not have to wait.

Mike

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

pjoh784350

Equipment
BX23, quick attach bucket, 3 point, pallet forks
May 3, 2019
Danville
Congrats on the BX. I didn't mean to imply that the backhoe is awful or useless, it is anything but and I love mine. Just wanted to point out that there is a big difference in the BH and the Mini. I'm all for the suggestions to keep the 2380 and buy a mini, however my wife seems to think that is not a very good idea. Domestic tranquility can be tough to maintain when you see the need to upgrade! I may see if I can get her to the dealer and run a mini for a while, it worked once.....

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
Congrats on the BX. I didn't mean to imply that the backhoe is awful or useless, it is anything but and I love mine. Just wanted to point out that there is a big difference in the BH and the Mini. I'm all for the suggestions to keep the 2380 and buy a mini, however my wife seems to think that is not a very good idea. Domestic tranquility can be tough to maintain when you see the need to upgrade! I may see if I can get her to the dealer and run a mini for a while, it worked once.....
I get it. If I really needed a Mini I would buy it. My wife is good about things like that. She can run just about any of it, and understands when it is a need not a want. I was going to keep the 2380 and buy the used one to use then sell it when I was done with it. She stated very clearly we don't need two tractors. That is why I figured trade up. While I was trading up I figured I might as well go to the top and get everything I might need.

I know with a 12 inch bucket it will take a lot longer to do things but I am retired and have time now.

Have a good one

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I would have kept the original mower deck since it will fit the BX23S I believe. If you haven't used it yet, ask the dealer, and possibly you can buy it back from him at a reasonable price.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I would have kept the original mower deck since it will fit the BX23S I believe. If you haven't used it yet, ask the dealer, and possibly you can buy it back from him at a reasonable price.
The mower was a drive over deck. That was the worst investment I made on the BX2380. Also it takes a special adaptor to make it fit correct with the BH. I got the simple one this time.

I did take off my tooth bar and wheel spacers. I also emptied the fuel tank as best I could, I had just filled it Thursday. I bought new mower blades and kept them as well.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
With my BX23S backhoe I can dig a 34" pine stump out in an hour or less. A deep rooted hard wood took me 6 hours to remove. You will also need to get the machine all around that stump. If its up against a stone wall or other trees, good luck, so take that into consideration!

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
With my BX23S backhoe I can dig a 34" pine stump out in an hour or less. A deep rooted hard wood took me 6 hours to remove. You will also need to get the machine all around that stump. If its up against a stone wall or other trees, good luck, so take that into consideration!
You may be able to dig it out, but you won't be able to lift it out of the hole. I experienced this once and resorted to the Ford and a hefty chain to drag it out. Once out, I could push it where I wanted to dispose of it.

Mlarv

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 19, 2020
Crossville TN
I have a 12K winch I use for stuff like that. I have it on a plate that I can install into a 2 inch receiver (on my truck) pin it then use a power cable up to the battery. I have pulled some pretty big bushes, small trees etc out with it. It should be able to get the stump out of the hole if needed.

leveraddict

Equipment
Apr 1, 2019
NEPA
You may be able to dig it out, but you won't be able to lift it out of the hole. I experienced this once and resorted to the Ford and a hefty chain to drag it out. Once out, I could push it where I wanted to dispose of it.
Well no you cant lift it out!
Jeez Its way over the lifting capacity of the machine!
I rolled it out with chain and pushed/rolled it into the woods.