BX2360 Sputtering/Bogging Down

FGG

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 27, 2022
Adams Center, NY
Hello, All! New to this forum.
I've seen similar experiences posted on various forums, but struggle to find a root cause/corrective action...
My BX2360 continues to sporadically bog down in RPMs, sometimes only a couple hundred, sometimes 500, but a few times 1500 to almost stalling. It has ~550 hours, and the entire fuel train (both filters and pump), as well as air filter, are all new in the last ~10 hours of operation. I tried the cap removal test and covered the area with mesh cloth, but it continued sporadically bogging down even in this state. It's funny it does not do it initially, but only after significant time of running (1/2 hour plus). I can't say if it will do it if not under load (not mowing or blowing), as I really do not use just at idle for extended periods. Not related (I don't believe :)), but I am religious about the oil and filter changes, probably to a fault. I have discussed this with the dealer, and they have no idea where to even start/look. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions all here in Orange-land may have to further investigate my concern. Thanks in advance!!

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Likely something floating around in the fuel tank. Wasn’t that the series with the fuel sender rusting issue?

Reactions: 1 users

Orange dew

Equipment
BX 2670
Nov 15, 2021
Crawfordville Fl
Hello, All! New to this forum.
I've seen similar experiences posted on various forums, but struggle to find a root cause/corrective action...
My BX2360 continues to sporadically bog down in RPMs, sometimes only a couple hundred, sometimes 500, but a few times 1500 to almost stalling. It has ~550 hours, and the entire fuel train (both filters and pump), as well as air filter, are all new in the last ~10 hours of operation. I tried the cap removal test and covered the area with mesh cloth, but it continued sporadically bogging down even in this state. It's funny it does not do it initially, but only after significant time of running (1/2 hour plus). I can't say if it will do it if not under load (not mowing or blowing), as I really do not use just at idle for extended periods. Not related (I don't believe :)), but I am religious about the oil and filter changes, probably to a fault. I have discussed this with the dealer, and they have no idea where to even start/look. I would greatly appreciate any suggestions all here in Orange-land may have to further investigate my concern. Thanks in advance!!
My BX 2670 does that under a load while mowing but not using front end loader. I’ve looked all forums and you tube and most say it’s fuel starved from tank. There doesn’t seam to be a fix long term. My tractor is second hand and not we’ll taken care of. Previous owner replaced OEM filter and fuel pump with CAT replacement probably thinking that would fix it it did not. Air blown back into tank sometimes helps it’s said. I haven’t tried it.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Likely something floating around in the fuel tank. Wasn’t that the series with the fuel sender rusting issue?
How much fuel is in the tank when this happens? Is it low on fuel when this happens? Hope you're not relying on the fuel gauge. Notoriously inaccurate....... I have a BX2360 also. Never let it get below half tank.

To the OP, a couple models of the BX series do have an issue with the tank outlet/gauge unit rusting apart.

There could also be a piece of trash floating around in there that occasionally hits the outlet.

Start with the simple stuff. First, keep it full. If no good there, I might fish around in the tank with one of those long magnetic pickup thingies..... just to check.

Even swabbing around with a piece of cloth (that won't leave pieces behind) might give you an idea if there's other trash or a bunch of algae in there.

FGG

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 27, 2022
Adams Center, NY
It seems to do it whether a fresh full tank or not and will not do it until "warmer" (typically ~30+ minutes), if that makes any sense. I have not tried to see if anything could be floating around in the tank but will!! According to the repair manual troubleshooting that I downloaded today, it mentions fuel filters (changed), air cleaner (changed), fuel leak due to loose injection pipe (seems unlikely to me), injection pump (changed), incorrect nozzle injection pressure (?), injection nozzle stuck or clogged (?), or governor malfunctioning. I don't think the last three are for me to dig into to! :)
I let all know what, if anything, I find in the tank...
Anyone have thoughts on their troubleshooting suggestions?
Thanks to all for your review of my concern and suggestions!! Fred

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Could Pull the fuel line off the first filter. See if you get a good solid flow out of the tank. Will be messy, but will answer the tank question.

Might take a while to get there.

FGG

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 27, 2022
Adams Center, NY
Could Pull the fuel line off the first filter. See if you get a good solid flow out of the tank. Will be messy, but will answer the tank question.

Yeh, it was quite a mess when I changed the filters! :) When I did that a month ago or so, the flow was very good.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

I'd bet it's the tank, but hard to tell.

I'd start with the less-messy stuff first. Seems like someone used a modified little fish net type thing....was a good idea as I recall.

Greensvillejay from Canada will show up.

He found a small rubber gasket/grommet type thing that was plugging his tank.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
One more thing you might want to look at, is the fuel lines them selves after time they sometimes get soft and will collapse a bit and shut off the flow,, just a thought

Reactions: 1 users

FGG

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 27, 2022
Adams Center, NY
Ran the tank down as far as I dared last mowing and used a fish net to fish around, after parking the tractor sideways on a grade with the tank fill lower. Got absolutely nothing out. After mowing this evening, I set the throttle at 3000 and just rode around, and eventually it did the same drop in RPMs.

FGG

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 27, 2022
Adams Center, NY
It was definitely debris in the tank! As careful as I am in refueling, there was significant hard debris in the very bottom of the tank, that I could not access through the fill port. I have mowed three times since this cleaning and have not experienced any sputtering like before. I appreciate all the feedback and suggestions!! Fred

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Glad you found it ! This little chard of plastic stopped my BX23S around 600hrs ago. Had to remove tank to FIND it, no way anyone could see black plastic in a black plastic tank..... I added a $store sink strainer into the fuel inlet...zero issues ever since.

Attachments

FGG

Equipment
BX2360
Jun 27, 2022
Adams Center, NY
Glad you found it ! This little chard of plastic stopped my BX23S around 600hrs ago. Had to remove tank to FIND it, no way anyone could see black plastic in a black plastic tank..... I added a $store sink strainer into the fuel inlet...zero issues ever since.
Thanks for the suggestion! The strainers we have in the house seem like they would be too small. I'll have to check the stores out to see what might be available in larger size.

Bugzilla46310

Equipment
2022 BX2680 198? AC 916H
May 22, 2022
Demotte, IN
I bought this one. Did take about 3/32” off the diameter so it fits better.

County Line Kitchen - Stainless Steel Filter & Infuser for Cold Brew, Iced Coffee, and Iced Tea - Use