BX23 Driveshaft Fan Broken

ncridgerunner

Equipment
BX23, finish mower, bush hog, box scraper, blade scraper, fertilizer spreader
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Purchased a BX23 a few days ago. When I was changing the oil today I saw the driveshaft fan is broken. The machine runs fine. How can I tell if the HST is damaged? Is there anything I should do besides replacing the fan?

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
If it's still behaving normally it'll be difficult to tell without a pressure gauge. How old is it and how many hours are on the machine? It's probably still fine though it would be prudent to change the transmission oil\filter. Overheating the oil can cause it to oxidize rapidly and break down.

ncridgerunner

Equipment
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
The machine is a 2005 with 480 hours. I was planning to change the transmission oil and filter so I will get that done ASAP. Hope the Kubota dealer has the fan in stock so I can get that done this PM.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
While I have not done this repair myself...I understand it the Kubota Service Manual way can be a PIA (splitting the tractor). I read somewhere either heere on OTT or an another off brand forum that if you cut the old fan in half to remove it and do the same to the new one and super glue back together. I would do a web search for the steps to take for the repair..

Good luck

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
You should be OK, I just had the one on my BX2200 as it was missing some blades, I had the dealer do it as it was in for some other stuff (never loan something) and the earlier BX's are pretty easy to change according to my dealer, later ones need to have the engines moved, not so on the early ones.

As mentioned the later ones are a BEAR.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
While I have not done this repair myself...I understand it the Kubota Service Manual way can be a PIA (splitting the tractor). I read somewhere either heere on OTT or an another off brand forum that if you cut the old fan in half to remove it and do the same to the new one and super glue back together. I would do a web search for the steps to take for the repair..

Good luck
Hmm.... there's a business opportunity waiting. Make a 2-piece fan to replace the broken ones.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Hmm.... there's a business opportunity waiting. Make a 2-piece fan to replace the broken ones.
You would think Kubota would be all over that one. A 2 piece cost more than a 1 piece.

ncridgerunner

Equipment
Mar 31, 2013
Marion, NC
Got my fan today. Cost $9.00. I thought it cost that much just to look at Kubota parts. Saw a former student of mine that works as a mechanic at the Kubota place and he was telling me he wasn't sure about my model but he thought I would have to remove the engine to replace the fan. That didn't help my confidence much in doing the job but I decided to soldier on.

Another member "Andrew" had a suggestion about using a ratcheting tie-down strap to pull the driveshaft back a little to be able to change it out. This was a great help and allowed me to have an extra hand in the process. Because of my extra-large hands I couldn't do the process from under the tractor and the deck had to come off but after that it was not too difficult.

The job took about 2.5 hours to complete not including the hour I spent cleaning up while the tractor was opened up and the 45 minutes it took me to put up my tools. Suffice it to say everything took all afternoon.

Next week I'll check the scrap metal pile and design some type of skid plate for protection.

Only one real mystery remains... Every time I am laying under a vehicle with grease all over my hands two things occur. My nose itches and the phone rings!!!

Robocop5626

Equipment
BX23 FEL,BH,MMM
Jul 17, 2010
Alabama
I pulled mine apart but could not get the shaft to retract sufficiently, plus I too have large hands. I carefully split the fan away from the mounting holes and managed to get it in place. Afterward I have kept my mid mount mower in place. I cut the back yard and woods often in the summer and it helps protect my fan.