BX2230 Steering cyl

Toyboy

Equipment
BX2230D - RCK60-22BX - BX5450
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
I had this replaced by a dealer 50mi away week ago.. Found it's leaking on right side connection...where??? can't tell for sure.
Anyway, it's impossible for me to get a wrench on fitting to try and tighten more. Service guy @ dealer tells me he has nothing coming my way and has no idea when he could pick it up.
I rented a trailer to take it to dealer but don't want the expense again or time involved to do it again.
I feel screwed now that snow is coming without a way to remove it (snowblower) without dripping oil all over the blacktop.
Is there any possible way to get at those connections without disassembling the cyl from mount and wheels??
Being 76 I'm not as agile as I once was which also sucks!
Needless to say I'm not a happy camper.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
At 74 I understand your challenges with this situation.

Rather than returning to the dealer, I would be searching for a mobile mechanic who would come to you.

Look for one serving the 18 wheeler industry not a lawn and garden clientele.

This is one place to call. Just from a google search:

Arnie's Repair Inc
W506 US Hwy 63
Hayward, WI

715-634-4191

Dave

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
At 74 I understand your challenges with this situation.

Rather than returning to the dealer, I would be searching for a mobile mechanic who would come to you.

Look for one serving the 18 wheeler industry not a lawn and garden clientele.

This is one place to call. Just from a google search:

Arnie's Repair Inc
W506 US Hwy 63
Hayward, WI

715-634-4191

Dave
Thanks for the idea, I'd have never thought of that.
The crowfoot wrench is another thing I'll look at. The cyl connections are tucked up in the frame it's hard to even see the left side (looking from the front, right side from seat)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A couple things you can do:
Jack up the front frame and the axle will rock side to side and that might get you the clearance you need, you can also accomplish this with some blocks, just drive one wheel up on the blocks and that will tilt the axle.
The other option is to remove the 4 bolts that hold the cylinder to the axle and drop it down tighten the fittings then reinstall, you might even get enough drop just removing one side of the retaining brackets.

Toyboy

Equipment
May 18, 2010
Hayward Wi
Well I borrowed a trailer and hauled it to dealer this morning. Good thing I did. It was the cyl rod seal leaking . Connections were tight. Since they didn't have a replacement steering cyl in stock, they took one off a new BX and installed it on mine. They had no answer as to why a new cyl would be bad.
Fixed and home....no charge.
Thanks for all the ideas, but in the end it was better to have dealer take care of it.

Reactions: 1 user