BX2200 Stump removal tips?

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
When I purchased my property about a year and half ago the previous owners had a tree that they had cut off about 10-15 ft up. I am assuming t was too big for them to actually cut down. There were cuts at the base, but none very deep. It had been sitting like that for a while because it had rotted enough that I was able to push it over with my BX2200.That left the stump. I used my ripper to tear up the roots around it and the FEL to dig down around it, but it is still not wanting to budge. Any ideas? Chain down around roots as far as I can and start pulling? I also have an Excursion I could use to try and pull it out. Just looking for ideas from people who have done this in the past.
IMG_3521.JPG

IMG_4663.JPG

IMG_4664.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
With the size of the stump in question, I would rent a stump grinder and be done with it. I can usually pop 6-8" stumps without a problem but that tree looks to be at least 2' wide.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Grind it or burn it (seems to be isolated).

Can you a pressure washer to it? If so, you would be amazed how it exposes the roots using a blaster tip. Afterwards, you could cut them, and you might be able to pop it out.

Reactions: 3 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
Grind it or burn it (seems to be isolated).

Can you a pressure washer to it? If so, you would be amazed how it exposes the roots using a blaster tip. Afterwards, you could cut them, and you might be able to pop it out.
I do have a pressure washer I could attack it with. I was trying to come up with a way to expose the roots and stump more.

Thanks

Mrlunchbox

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2023 BX2380 loader/mower. Land Pride snow pusher, Kapteyn pallet forks
Nov 21, 2020
Southern Worcester County, MA
I do have a pressure washer I could attack it with. I was trying to come up with a way to expose the roots and stump more.

Thanks

Pressure washer or compressed air from something like a tow behind jack hammer compressor. As mentioned exposing the roots does wonders. You'd be surprised how many get tucked up in there ha ha

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I lost a large oak (30+ inches in diameter and 60+ feet tall), next to the house to a tornado. The massive root ball was half exposed. I was able to clean the exposed root ball and excavate under the roots still buried in the ground. I have a fairly high flow pressure washer, and it probably only took an afternoon. Of course, cutting the roots and splitting the stump into pieces took a couple of days.

Good luck.

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
Judging by the chunk in the bucket, that tree will have a very large tap root. Usually right in the center going down. Once you expose and cut the runners, it should wiggle out. Eventually. I’m betting you have to go 2-3’ deeper to get it wiggling.

Reactions: 1 users

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan

Thanks
28" white pine cut green I hand dug out.

Carbide saw blade on sawzall was big help.
a old bar and chain was sacrificed for some of the bigger cutting.
pine stump.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
For an annoying stump or two, I'm game for getting them out by any means necessary. However, if you have a few or a few dozen (small) stumps, you can get rid of them in a single day with a stump grinder. You may not be able to feel your hands or arms for a few days after, but the feeling will eventually come back. You also won't have a bunch of holes that need to be filled in ;)

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
When I purchased my property about a year and half ago the previous owners had a tree that they had cut off about 10-15 ft up. I am assuming t was too big for them to actually cut down. There were cuts at the base, but none very deep. It had been sitting like that for a while because it had rotted enough that I was able to push it over with my BX2200.That left the stump. I used my ripper to tear up the roots around it and the FEL to dig down around it, but it is still not wanting to budge. Any ideas? Chain down around roots as far as I can and start pulling? I also have an Excursion I could use to try and pull it out. Just looking for ideas from people who have done this in the past.
View attachment 60852
View attachment 60854
View attachment 60855
In my experience you are in for a long and difficult challenge getting that stump out with only a loader on a little BX.

I have a backhoe on my B2910, and eventually I learned how distasteful digging stumps out actually is.

I recently got a mini excavator and the story is the same really, since it’s not much more capable than my backhoe on the tractor. I specifically bought a small one as a replacement for what I have on the tractor, as a matter of convenience. But the mini excavator is a world of difference as far as actually digging.

Anyway, in my case I’ve transitioned to digging down a little bit below grade and cutting the stump off. Backfill back to grade, plant some grass and forget about the stump forever.

Except for every once in a while when I have a moment of weakness and decide to get that stumy out of there, since it can’t be much of a big deal, but it always is…

There are more productive ways to use your tractor! It took me quite a while to learn this…

Matt Ellerbee

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
If I owned a tractor or hydraulic repair center, I would put leaflets for the Rhino Ripper on the cars at AG shows and farm stores in my area. :LOL:
I hear ya. I can see bent curl cylinders in his future. Still is a pretty cool home made attachment. I could see it handy for the privet bushes (trees) we have in Georgia. Root grapple makes short work of them, though.

His B2261 has a pretty sweet hydraulic front 3 point and PTO driven straight off of the engine.

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
In my experience you are in for a long and difficult challenge getting that stump out with only a loader on a little BX.

I have a backhoe on my B2910, and eventually I learned how distasteful digging stumps out actually is.

I recently got a mini excavator and the story is the same really, since it’s not much more capable than my backhoe on the tractor. I specifically bought a small one as a replacement for what I have on the tractor, as a matter of convenience. But the mini excavator is a world of difference as far as actually digging.

Anyway, in my case I’ve transitioned to digging down a little bit below grade and cutting the stump off. Backfill back to grade, plant some grass and forget about the stump forever.

Except for every once in a while when I have a moment of weakness and decide to get that stumy out of there, since it can’t be much of a big deal, but it always is…

There are more productive ways to use your tractor! It took me quite a while to learn this…
I am thinking this is the route I will go if I can get down below ground level to cut it off. I have it dug down, but I need to get rid of all the dirt to expose the roots. Hoping the pressure washer idea will work.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia

Agreed. I was disappointed to find out how INEFFECTIVE my BX25 (with loader AND backhoe) is for large stumps, but I tried hard enough I was forced to face it.

With a loader only?

Forget it. That's just the wrong tool for the job.

Last year I had to rent a decent backhoe for some work, and that big John Deere ripped stumps like that out in a few minutes. 10" diameter roots that my BX could barely wiggle, came up like they were nothing for the JD.

Use the right tool. Your BX is not the right tool for this.

Rent a stump grinder.

Elliott in GA

Equipment
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Agreed. I was disappointed to find out how INEFFECTIVE my BX25 (with loader AND backhoe) is for large stumps, but I tried hard enough I was forced to face it.

With a loader only?

Forget it. That's just the wrong tool for the job.

Last year I had to rent a decent backhoe for some work, and that big John Deere ripped stumps like that out in a few minutes. 10" diameter roots that my BX could barely wiggle, came up like they were nothing for the JD.

Use the right tool. Your BX is not the right tool for this.

Rent a stump grinder.
Of course rental equipment, with all of the insurance, can do just about anything - just like a rental car.

Outdrz

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901, 525 Loader, 2060 Cutter, EA Toothbar, EA Box Blade, JD Disc and more
Feb 20, 2021
Ohio
Did not realize this was a no humor thread.
Elliott in GA: Some folks lead "no humor" lives.

Like a duck in a rainstorm... I let their snarkiness roll off my back.

The pressure washer comment was a good one. Messy, but good. Hope OP wears eye protection.🤓

Reactions: 2 users