bx2200 starts but shuts off

Dcronk0

Equipment
mowing, hauling, snow plowing
Jul 21, 2013
ceresco, mi. USA
My 2002 bx2200 all of a sudden died. It will start but the moment I let the key return to the neutral position it shuts off. If I hold the key in the start position, it stays running but if I put it gear it dies. Any Idea's?

DonDRD

Equipment
bx2200 belly mower and front end loader
Sep 10, 2013
Newton
My 2002 bx2200 all of a sudden died. It will start but the moment I let the key return to the neutral position it shuts off. If I hold the key in the start position, it stays running but if I put it gear it dies. Any Idea's?
I have the same issue
1 checked out the ignition switch---OK
2 replaced all fuses in fuse block
3 services battery to top condition and charge
starts even better now but dies as soon as I get off the starter position :confused:

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
It almost sounds like the "stop solenoid" is somehow getting an electrical signal from the ignition switch to shut off the fuel flow.

I'd guess a corroded or malfunctioning ignition switch that shorts to activate the electrical signal to the solenoid. It is only supposed to do that when the key is turned to off.

Try unplugging the hot wire to the stop solenoid. If the tractor runs then just know that you'll manually have to pull on the stop solenoid lever to stop the fuel and kill the engine.

Last edited:

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I think stop solenoids let the fuel flow when receiving power. When the switch is off no power goes to the stop solenoid.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
I think stop solenoids let the fuel flow when receiving power. When the switch is off no power goes to the stop solenoid.

My experience is that the stop solenoid has a relay that works a bit oddly.
>When the key is turned off, power is sent through a relay to the stop solenoid and a rod is pulled into the solenoid that closes the fuel line.
>Then, about 15 seconds later, the relay cuts the power from to the solenoid and the rod is returned to the open fuel position via a spring. You can audibly hear the click of the solenoid at the 15 second mark.

If you actually look at it as it is functioning, that is how it operates. This eliminates a continual, and potentially damaging, excitement of the solenoid. Plus, if your battery fails the tractor still runs. If the solenoid fails the tractor still runs. If a fuse blows the tractor still runs. A good idea if you are at the far end of your 120 acres.

I have had three stop solenoids fail and have had to manually function them until a replacement was installed.

I know it sounds counter-intuitive but that's the way it works on a L3650 tractor and other Kubota tractors that I've owned and repaired.

I suppose that is why it is called a "stop solenoid" rather than a "run solenoid".

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Some stop solenoids have 2 coils in in them.
One coil pulls the rod in (high power) and the second hold coil (low power, electro magnet) holds the rod in.
The first coil is activated on the start circuit and the second is activated on the key on position, shut the key off and it de-energizes the hold coil, and shuts off fuel. ;)

I have one of these types retro fitted on my D950 to shut off the fuel with the key.:D

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
Maybe my information on the stop solenoid is dated.

The older tractors had a long metal rod under the key area that could manually shut off the fuel flow if the solenoid failed. It just manually pulled the rod when the solenoid wouldn't. Unfortunately, I had to use it more than I wanted.

Nowadays, tractors do not have that shut off rod. Perhaps the solenoids are of higher quality or operate differently.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
Thanks , didn't think there were that sofisticated .

fytnfyr

Equipment
Kubota BX2200 with Snow Blower
Jan 4, 2014
Lake Tahoe, California, USA
I had the same problem and found an easy fix. Hope this helps you.....

All I had to do was to charge the battery. My battery had enough charge to start the engine but not enough to keep it running.

Good Luck!

jstephen21

Equipment
BX2200
Jul 31, 2014
Harmony, PA, USA
This thread helped me isolate a very similar problem with my BX2200. It would turn over and catch, but shut down. After changing fuel filters, draining fuel, filling with new, and adding additive, I started checking what this thread states. The stop solenoid. It is on the right side of the engine (looking from the front), tucked back in. Here is a link to the one I got off eBay. PN# SA4569T.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fuel-Shut-O...ota-Yanmar-SynchroStart-SA4569T-/150773649495

I replaced and it still did same thing. I checked the fuse and it did what it was suppose to do and blew. Replaced that and it is running good again.

Thanks to all that input here. It saves us all time, money and need for patience.

wink2wink

Equipment
BX2200 mowing, loader, back blade
Jun 4, 2017
Blue Grass, Ia
For starters, first time poster here...have to say, you all have saved my bacon and alot of $ WAY too many times to count, so to all of you, THANK YOU...
I jumped on my ol' reliable Kubota today and BAM, same things as some of the rest of the posts: would only run when key was held on. Low and behold, I found and removed the fuel cut-off solenoid and sure enough, when I put it back in place -killed the engine instantly. I haven't ruled out any of the other issues, but I did take some pics and thought I'd share...I had removed the side covers with the 10mm wrench (4 bolts) and then, if you're sitting on the tractor, looking forward, the switch is on the left side, right by the injector pump. Others have stated this, but I'm a simpleton and a picture guy (hey, it's worth a thousand words, right?). The pic with the connector unplugged was actually taken with the tractor running. NOTE: if you unplug the connector and try start it, all it will do is crank over (sorry, can't just unplug and run). Anyway, I haven't found a replacement yet, as it is Sunday, but hope it helps someone out there!!!

Attachments

Tkeck

Equipment
Bx2200
Jun 23, 2021
Pa
It almost sounds like the "stop solenoid" is somehow getting an electrical signal from the ignition switch to shut off the fuel flow.

I'd guess a corroded or malfunctioning ignition switch that shorts to activate the electrical signal to the solenoid. It is only supposed to do that when the key is turned to off.

Try unplugging the hot wire to the stop solenoid. If the tractor runs then just know that you'll manually have to pull on the stop solenoid lever to stop the fuel and kill the engine.
Hi on my 2200 the plug for solenoid had oil some how cleaned with cleaner and solver the shut down problem. And thank you for the information

Reactions: 1 user