BX2200 front propeller shaft question

Dusty Dan

Equipment
BX2200, Dirt Master Backhoe, Essick VR30RE Road Vibratory Road Roller
Jun 23, 2021
Boise City OK
The parts diagram shows a 'PIN SPRING', id'd call it a rolled pin, holding the u-joint to the transmission front axle output shaft. My tractor had the propeller shaft flipped and the spring pin was holding the sliding u-joint to the front axle . It sheared and is stuck in the front axle input shaft. Is this 'PIN SPRING' supposed to act as a shear pin?

dlsmith

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2230, LA211
Nov 15, 2018
Goshen, IN
No, it should have a solid pin, like a clevis pin, with a hole in the end for a cotter key to retain it.
Did you check the u-joint at the trans end to see what is there retaining the u-joint?
The drive shaft has been put in backwards.

Dusty Dan

Equipment
Jun 23, 2021
Boise City OK
Thanks for replying.

EDIT: The diagram for a BX2660D uses part 190 the solid pin you described in all 3 locations. I will go with that.

ignore the rest.....

The diagram below is for the BX2200. Checked for your tractor and it too uses these part numbers although the call outs in the image are different for the solid pin
180 is part number 05411-00650, not a solid pin.
186 (190 for the 2230) is part number K2561-16782, which is a solid pin like you described.

ujoint2.png

On my tractor the propeller shaft was installed backwards from what is show in the parts diagram.
They had a bolt in place of the pin on the transmission end. Obviously not OEM.

U-joint 160 was installed on the axle using fastener 180 a spring pin. What remains of 180 is currently stuck inside the the shaft. Working on that.

If your BX2230 has the solid pin in all 3 locations I am tempted to do that but am thinking if the spring pin aka 180 acts as a shear pin I need to use one.

Last edited:

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks for replying.

EDIT: The diagram for a BX2660D uses part 190 the solid pin you described in all 3 locations. I will go with that.

ignore the rest.....

The diagram below is for the BX2200. Checked for your tractor and it too uses these part numbers although the call outs in the image are different for the solid pin
180 is part number 05411-00650, not a solid pin.
186 (190 for the 2230) is part number K2561-16782, which is a solid pin like you described.

View attachment 62205

On my tractor the propeller shaft was installed backwards from what is show in the parts diagram.
They had a bolt in place of the pin on the transmission end. Obviously not OEM.

U-joint 160 was installed on the axle using fastener 180 a spring pin. What remains of 180 is currently stuck inside the the shaft. Working on that.

If your BX2230 has the solid pin in all 3 locations I am tempted to do that but am thinking if the spring pin aka 180 acts as a shear pin I need to use one.
On my BX2200 the drive shaft on the tractor end uses a roll pin. My top u joint fell off after the roll pin broke. Found the U joint after buying a replacement.

Strange the drive shaft would be installed backwards. Guess you never know if you buy used...

I would go with the original design and put the driveshaft back in the correct orientation, with a roll pin on the top U joint.

The top (back) U joint is physically longer than the front one. It is locked to the transmission shaft by the roll pin, and the front end of that top U joint slides on the drive shaft splines when the mower deck position is changed.

Also, orientate the roll pin correctly when you install it. I believe the slot should face front or back. This helps prevent the roll pin from breaking since it flexes a bit due to the clearance in the spline fit. Verify correct orientation as I don't trust my memory as much as I used to...

Dusty Dan

Equipment
Jun 23, 2021
Boise City OK
On my BX2200 the drive shaft on the tractor end uses a roll pin. My top u joint fell off after the roll pin broke. Found the U joint after buying a replacement.

Strange the drive shaft would be installed backwards. Guess you never know if you buy used...

I would go with the original design and put the driveshaft back in the correct orientation, with a roll pin on the top U joint.

The top (back) U joint is physically longer than the front one. It is locked to the transmission shaft by the roll pin, and the front end of that top U joint slides on the drive shaft splines when the mower deck position is changed.

Also, orientate the roll pin correctly when you install it. I believe the slot should face front or back. This helps prevent the roll pin from breaking since it flexes a bit due to the clearance in the spline fit. Verify correct orientation as I don't trust my memory as much as I used to...
Yeah I lost my u-joint too when the roll pin broke. Never found it. I was originally thinking this roll pin might be acting as a shear pin. Newer BX's use the solid pins in place of the roll pin so I am going with that. Less chance of losing another u-joint and if I do I will not be faced with another hard to remove roll pin corpse.