BX2200 Axle Seal and Fuel Line help.

TnMowing

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 12, 2021
East TN
I bought a BX2200. Looked great until the first time I used it.
I am completely new to tractors, I bought this hoping to finish my mother yard and drainage project. As of now, I’m questioning whether I made a good purchase.

The front left axle seal leaks and some of the fuel line connections are leaking at the clamps.

My questions are;

1. Are the fuel lines just regular hose that I can buy at the Auto Parts store?
(I have not crawled completely under the tractor, as it has a 60” deck I need to remove first. Going to have to figure that out. And leave it off. I don’t need it. I have 3 other mowers.)

2. Is there an O-Ring on the front axle case. The videos I see online has them, but I don’t see it on any parts list.

Here is a picture of where I think the O-Ring goes?
Or do I just use RTV?

Attachments

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The fuel hose is nothing special, you can get it at a parts store.
The BX series does not use an o-ring to seal the cover to the knuckle housing, it is sealed with an RTV sealer or 3-Bond. When you remove the cover assembly, you will have to tip it a little to remove it as the gear wants to catch on the inner lip of the knuckle. Just tip it and work it around, it will come right out.

Reactions: 1 users

TnMowing

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 12, 2021
East TN
The fuel hose is nothing special, you can get it at a parts store.
The BX series does not use an o-ring to seal the cover to the knuckle housing, it is sealed with an RTV sealer or 3-Bond. When you remove the cover assembly, you will have to tip it a little to remove it as the gear wants to catch on the inner lip of the knuckle. Just tip it and work it around, it will come right out.
Could this be used in place of the ThreeBond?

TnMowing

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 12, 2021
East TN
Update.

I got the mower deck off.
it wasn’t too bad, except for the PTO coupler.
Evidentially, the previous owner never greased the PTO Splines.
Took a bit of WD40 and yanking on it. Finally it came off.

Tried to address the fuel leak.
I discovered it was fuel line between the filter and pump.
Nothing I did got the drip to stop.
I added a mew clamp - No dice. Drip. Drip.

I suspect it is the hose. It’s not OE style hose. (White hose shown in pic)
I have never seen hose like it.?
I am going to try to replace it, see what happens.
689E61A2-A4AF-4AB8-B270-CF2ACAD53F07.jpeg

Then try to fix the axle leak. It leak here
159D32B3-8327-42B4-900E-CA85A9517146.jpeg

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
The BX does use a seal, unless I’m misunderstanding where the leak is…been a long day so that could be the case.

Anyway, I think you may be looking at the wrong diagram. I think you may want this one, which shows the breakdown of the ‘knuckle’:

154ABAF7-E44C-4751-AD57-42C7E753C420.jpeg

There are a bunch of videos on YouTube that demonstrate how to replace this seal. It’s a fairly common issue from what I understand.

Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
That's some interesting hose right there...Get some fuel line from auto parts store...probably 5/16".

Your axle leak is going to be a bit more involved. I'd suggest that you download the WSM (work shop manual). I think you can download a pdf version here...

You're going to need the O rings that live in the gear housing. I had to do them on my old BX23. Not really technical but I can tell you that you will need a set of good snap ring pliers. Hit youtube for details on how to do the job. Lastly, forget using HST fluid in the front diff, instead, use 80-90 gear oil.

Edit...just saw bluedunn's post. He has the correct parts diagram.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Can’t help any, but that fuel line has been replaced previously. Hard to tell from pics, but it looks like the cheap pvc air hoses. They will not withstand oil/fuel use. Whatever replacement hose you get needs to be rated for fuel use.

edit: @xrocketengineer may be right 🤣 I can’t tell from pic on my phone. But Ive been in the auto repair business 19 years and nothing surprises me after what I see 😂. Its likely whatever junk hose was closest to the tractor when needed

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
I would say that if the axle leak is not a constant drip, I would worry more about the axle oil level.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
Then try to fix the axle leak. It leak here
The leak in your picture is coming from the knuckle pivot seal. You will need to remove the cover with the axle shaft, then remove the snap ring holding the knuckle on. Then you can replace the leaking seal. The inner race of the seal will be stuck on the housing, remove it before you try to reassemble the knuckle onto the housing.
The sealer you show in your picture is fine for the cover to knuckle joint.

TnMowing

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 12, 2021
East TN
That's some interesting hose right there...Get some fuel line from auto parts store...probably 5/16".

Your axle leak is going to be a bit more involved. I'd suggest that you download the WSM (work shop manual). I think you can download a pdf version here...

You're going to need the O rings that live in the gear housing. I had to do them on my old BX23. Not really technical but I can tell you that you will need a set of good snap ring pliers. Hit youtube for details on how to do the job. Lastly, forget using HST fluid in the front diff, instead, use 80-90 gear oil.

I think the 2200 use an anaerobic RTV instead of an O-ring.
I believe the newer BX series use the o-ring.

At least that’s what I’ve been told.

TnMowing

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 12, 2021
East TN

Thank you. That manual will help.
And yes, I have no idea what type hose that is.
But i am replacing it.
Thanks again (y)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I think the 2200 use an anaerobic RTV instead of an O-ring.
I believe the newer BX series use the o-ring.

At least that’s what I’ve been told.
The seal that you will likely need to replace is number 14 on page 217 of the WSM. Its a seal, not an O-ring. Before doing that, you should read about checking for play in the bearings. To get to it, you will need to remove the hub. The gear case cover uses gasket sealer. Anyway, its all listed in the pages preceding pg 217.

see image below:

WSM Page 217.JPG

TnMowing

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 12, 2021
East TN
I got the fuel lines replaced.
Still no idea what the type of hose WAS on there?
504DABDE-73FE-4B97-A1F4-BE55E2F826B8.jpeg
0C841F8A-EB5D-4CA8-A03B-6CA8F395CD76.jpeg

I also found 1 loose wire. And on connection that isn’t plugged in?
I believe I found the sensor the loose/broken wire went to.
I fixed it the best I could with what I had. I’ll use marine connectors when ever I get a chance to pick some up.

Any one know what this sensor is?
It is on the right side of the tractor by the oil filter.
877EAF8B-E198-4470-B809-4698E318F109.jpeg

And is this the coolant sensor? - Left side tractor on cylinder head.
B7FE1C6D-3CEC-46D5-89EA-D832F5244134.jpeg

Then this unhooked connection at the top of the engine?
Do see any where it could hook up?
ECC2DC84-431D-43F2-B6AC-7DAA33B00D3B.jpeg

TnMowing

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 12, 2021
East TN
The one by the filter is most likely the oil pressure switch
I will look thro the WSM and parts diagram when I get a chance.
I figured I would post it here, one of you guys might know right off hand.

I too would “guess“ it is the oil pressure sensor.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I just noticed the bungee for the air filter box. That's the best fix for that crappy bracket that always breaks. Don't bother replacing that bracket, it wont last long. BTDT

Edit, I think my old BX23 had that same loose wire on top of the valve cover. It went nowhere.

TnMowing

Equipment
BX2200
Sep 12, 2021
East TN
I just noticed the bungee for the air filter box. That's the best fix for that crappy bracket that always breaks. Don't bother replacing that bracket, it wont last long. BTDT

Edit, I think my old BX23 had that same loose wire on top of the valve cover. It went nowhere.
Yeah, I also found out that was broken.
Everyone said it would break again, so I didn’t order the parts to fix that.
Thanks for the help.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I just saw this youtube vid pop up last night...replacing the front axle seal. It should cover exaclty what you have to do...