BX1860 - Rear PTO While Off Seat?

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

Is there a way to keep the rear PTO engaged while not sitting in the seat on a BX1860?

Thanks!

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
It's in the manual. I can't remember how it goes off-hand either.

I thought start PTO while seated, then dismount and lift seat, but not sure that's correct.

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
On the 1880 you have to set the park brake. With the PTO off, get off the seat and lift it. Select rear pto only then engage while the tractor is running. Adjust RPM to get desired PTO speed. Just guessing it is the same for the 1860

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Ah yes, the manual - almost forgot about that. I just checked and here is wha it says:

1) Apply the parking brake(s) and place blocks at all the tires.
2) Make sure all shift lever are at "NEUTRAL", and start the engine.
3) Set the PTO select lever to rear only position.
4) Dismount the seat and tilt up.
5) Set the PTO clutch lever to engage "ON".
6) Set the engine speed to provide recommended rear PTO speed.

I feel like I tried this and the tractor died...I'll try again tonight after work.

I wonder if the seat isn't tilted forward enough and maybe the seat is hitting on the steering knob I have attached to the steering wheel?

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Blue - thanks much… I did that years ago and had honestly forgotten how to go about it!👍

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Blue - thanks much… I did that years ago and had honestly forgotten how to go about it!👍
You’re welcome!

Oddly this procedure did not work on my 1860. I either missed something, which I doubt as I tried this multiple ways - using the instructions from the manual as well as starting the tractor with the seat up already. Both times I got the same result when I engaged the PTO; the engine died.

Is there something I can check or should check?

It seems like the safety switch is working…a little too good.

Thanks!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
You’re welcome!

Oddly this procedure did not work on my 1860. I either missed something, which I doubt as I tried this multiple ways - using the instructions from the manual as well as starting the tractor with the seat up already. Both times I got the same result when I engaged the PTO; the engine died.

Thanks!
Is your PTO selector lever in the Rear PTO Only position? It will not work in the other two positions.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
You’re welcome!

Thanks!
This probably won't help but: I encountered the exact same problem with my BX 23S, followed the manual to a T and it would still stall. Turned out it was my PTO engagement lever that would not stay in its proper position, so here I am with a brand new (50 hour) tractor with a bungee cord holding the PTO lever in position. Try jiggling and wiggling all the levers while your trying this, it may just work.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Is your PTO selector lever in the Rear PTO Only position? It will not work in the other two positions.
Yea, I actually tried in all three positions (rear, mid and rear, and mid) and nothing seemed to work.