BX1860 Cranks but will not start

hudson68

Equipment
BX1860;LA203-Loader;RCK54-29B MP Mower;Land Pride RB1560 Rear Blade
Sep 10, 2019
Winchester, CT
Good morning,
I've owned this bx1860 for about 8 years now. The machine never sits as I need it for my farm. One week ago I was clearing snow for about 3 hours. Unfortunately I got myself stuck where I needed to shovel myself out. I shut the machine down and went back with a shovel the following day. I went to start the machine and it would only crank. I know there is garbage in the fuel tank so I went through the process of blowing it back. However I still can't get it to combust. There are no signs of smoke, black, white, or indifferent. One noticeable issue I never seen before was air in the clear fuel filters. I've done everything to get the air out but have failed. The lift pump noise is in harmony with the fuel/air movement in upstream filter. I don't see any fuel leaks but I am in a snow bank. It's pulling air from somewhere and I'm at a loss.

Thank you for any advice

je1279

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 w/ 60" MMM, LP 72" Snow Plow, EA Wicked 55" Grapple, and Woods 60" BB
Dec 6, 2020
Upstate NY
Good morning,
I've owned this bx1860 for about 8 years now. The machine never sits as I need it for my farm. One week ago I was clearing snow for about 3 hours. Unfortunately I got myself stuck where I needed to shovel myself out. I shut the machine down and went back with a shovel the following day. I went to start the machine and it would only crank. I know there is garbage in the fuel tank so I went through the process of blowing it back. However I still can't get it to combust. There are no signs of smoke, black, white, or indifferent. One noticeable issue I never seen before was air in the clear fuel filters. I've done everything to get the air out but have failed. The lift pump noise is in harmony with the fuel/air movement in upstream filter. I don't see any fuel leaks but I am in a snow bank. It's pulling air from somewhere and I'm at a loss.

Thank you for any advice
Any chance a fuel line underneath became partially disconnected by the snowbank? Another possibility is that one of the lines is dryrotted and allowing air in.

Last edited:

hudson68

Equipment
BX1860;LA203-Loader;RCK54-29B MP Mower;Land Pride RB1560 Rear Blade
Sep 10, 2019
Winchester, CT
Any chance a fuel line underneath became partially disconnected by the snowbank? Another possibility is that one of the lines is dryrotted and allowing air in.
Anything is possible unfortunately there isn't a fuel shutoff and the fuel is gravity fed from tank bottom through filter 1, to the lift pump. You have to pinch the hose off with vise grips to change the first filter. Needless to say since there is garbage in the tank I find myself destructing the feed line more than it should ever be. I'm just curious if the air I'm seeing in the filters would cause a no combustion situation. Also, the lift pump is agitating the fuel back and forth in the first filter. I've never witnessed this.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Since you went through the process of blowing air back to the tank, I would first make sure the system is bled of air to the injectors, if you haven't done so. .

I think it's 20 (?) seconds of running the lift pump to bleed the system (without cranking), then try to start as usual.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
RCW is on the right path..... 30 second the book say - but you can hear the pump change pitch once fuel is being pumped - then I would pump a little longer just to make sure.

If you have no smoke - no nothing = then fuel is not making it to the injector/pump.

Sounds as if air is getting in the line as you mentioned - " lift pump is agitating the fuel back and forth in the first filter "

I think you need to tow that machine out and get it to a spot that can be worked on = then I think you will find the air leak!