bx steering cylinder loose between clamps

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
In the process of replaceing one of the steering hoses, I noticed the cylinder was loose between the 2 end brackets . These 2 brackets are supposed to have the cylinder squeezed between them but they had worn. Seeing a potential problem of eventually wearing the cylinder also, I ordered 2 new brackets. To my surprise, the new ones still didn't clamp the cylinder good enough. I put the right side on my lathe and removed .060 from the inner side and re installed, it's tight now. Both brackets are identical in size but the left one has a bracket on it that keeps the cylinder from turning.

PA452

Equipment
B2650
Nov 8, 2015
Western PA
What you have to watch though is that the bolts don't come loose on the brackets. I had one come loose slightly, enough that the steering cylinder caught a bracket on the end and bent it outward. Then my steering cylinder fell down and was just hanging in those brackets by the rams.

Mine was an older one though where they only had snap rings on the cylinder on the inside of the brackets. Pretty stupid design. The newer ones have snap rings on each side of each bracket, so that shouldn't happen.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
What you have to watch though is that the bolts don't come loose on the brackets. I had one come loose slightly, enough that the steering cylinder caught a bracket on the end and bent it outward. Then my steering cylinder fell down and was just hanging in those brackets by the rams.

Mine was an older one though where they only had snap rings on the cylinder on the inside of the brackets. Pretty stupid design. The newer ones have snap rings on each side of each bracket, so that shouldn't happen.
When did they start doing this???

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
No idea. I've just seen it on new ones at the dealers.
Just wondering because the BX80 series still uses the same cylinder, brackets, and snap rings as prior models.