BX Front Wheel Spacers

bluedunn

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, MMM, Heavy Hitch Back Plow Blade
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
Hi-

Anyone know where I might get some thinner (less than an inch) front wheel spacers for my BX1860?

Thanks for any help!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
get a sheet of 1/4" aluminum, layout hole pattern( use rim as guide), drill the 4 bolt holes, jigsaw the outside circle. easy and fast. No need to be CNC lasered ! Make 4 or 6, gives you 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4" spacers.
Aluminum is easier to drill, though steel is heavier. Just be sure to use longer bolts !

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
yeesh, those spacers would cost me close to $50 CDN and that's IF I don't get nailed 13% on top of the 50 !
I can get scrap aluminum for $3.50 a piece, so $7 CDN to make the pair......

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Well, being that Bluedunn is in VT, it will only cost HIM $18.88 SHIPPED.
And the cost of YOUR time? In Canadian Dollars of course, would be?

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
Apr 2, 2019
My time is free. At almost 70 and retired for 30 years, I need 'something' to do. Better to kill and hour in the garage than sitting in front of the TV. Since I sold the farm and shop, I have even more 'free' time on my hands. Frankly, these days I'd rather spend all day making something than giving China ANY money.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
My time is free. At almost 70 and retired for 30 years, I need 'something' to do. Better to kill and hour in the garage than sitting in front of the TV. Since I sold the farm and shop, I have even more 'free' time on my hands. Frankly, these days I'd rather spend all day making something than giving China ANY money.
I wish I had that time. With an energetic 5 year old, finding any kind of time to do something unhurried and well is challenging to say the least. That said, yours is a great suggestion and I appreciate it.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
As luck would have it my local auto parts store had some 1/4” spacers for a 4 lug pattern that fit. Total cost was about $15.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
As luck would have it my local auto parts store had some 1/4” spacers for a 4 lug pattern that fit. Total cost was about $15.
I don’t think that you will see much improvement in stability since the front axle pivots on a pin at the center of the tractor.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
good to here, however as mentioned - the benefits will be not be as noticeable as spacers on the rear.;)

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
That’s true, but adding to improve clearance between the wheel and tie rod end after increasing the tire size on my BX1860 (both front and rear) to same size as the the BX2360. I already have the bro-tek 2” spacers on the rear. The fronts don’t rub on the tie rod ends, but are very close. The front spacers are only to add a more comfortable (for me) distance between the tie rod ends and the wheel.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
That’s true, but adding to improve clearance between the wheel and tie rod end after increasing the tire size on my BX1860 (both front and rear) to same size as the the BX2360. I already have the bro-tek 2” spacers on the rear. The fronts don’t rub on the tie rod ends, but are very close. The front spacers are only to add a more comfortable (for me) distance between the tie rod ends and the wheel.
I did the same thing that you did and bought tires and wheels for a BX2360 and installed them on my BX1860. I am offering the following as information in case anyone is interested in changing the tires on their BX 18XX series tractors to the larger sizes found on the BX23xx series tractors.

I originally installed spacers on the front wheels for one of the same reasons that you did. However, I ended up taking the spacers off the front because when the front axle was off camber to the degree that one wheel was off the ground, there was too much stress on the axle pivot pin. I found that one wheel or the other came off the ground much more often with the wider axle stance from adding the spacers, than it did without the spacers.

I also found that the left tire was rubbing on the mower deck (RCK-54P) more with the spacers installed than without the spacers. When I removed the spacers the left tire still rubbed the mower deck a little but I was able to adjust the wheel turn stop to prevent the tire rub without losing too much turning radius to the left. I was unable to adjust the turn stop bolt enough to prevent rubbing with the spacers I used, but I was using 1 3/4" spacers. Since you are using 1/4" spacers you may experience a different result than I did. I don't know if the experience would be different for the 48" mower deck so I cannot address that.

I did not see any benefit by adding spacers to the front wheels but I saw enormous benefit by adding spacer to the rear. The tractor also has much more traction with the larger tires than with the original tire size. Now I seldom have to use 4 wheel drive unless I am mowing in the ditch along the road, that is just to ensure that I don't slide down hill sideways.

I have not experienced any problems with the front wheels touching the tie rod ends. As you mentioned, the wheels are very close to the tie rod ends, but they never touch. I have had the bigger tires and wheels on the tractor for about 18 months and never had a problem.

bluedunn

Equipment
Aug 29, 2019
Thetford, VT
I did the same thing that you did and bought tires and wheels for a BX2360 and installed them on my BX1860. I am offering the following as information in case anyone is interested in changing the tires on their BX 18XX series tractors to the larger sizes found on the BX23xx series tractors.

I originally installed spacers on the front wheels for one of the same reasons that you did. However, I ended up taking the spacers off the front because when the front axle was off camber to the degree that one wheel was off the ground, there was too much stress on the axle pivot pin. I found that one wheel or the other came off the ground much more often with the wider axle stance from adding the spacers, than it did without the spacers.

I also found that the left tire was rubbing on the mower deck (RCK-54P) more with the spacers installed than without the spacers. When I removed the spacers the left tire still rubbed the mower deck a little but I was able to adjust the wheel turn stop to prevent the tire rub without losing too much turning radius to the left. I was unable to adjust the turn stop bolt enough to prevent rubbing with the spacers I used, but I was using 1 3/4" spacers. Since you are using 1/4" spacers you may experience a different result than I did. I don't know if the experience would be different for the 48" mower deck so I cannot address that.

I did not see any benefit by adding spacers to the front wheels but I saw enormous benefit by adding spacer to the rear. The tractor also has much more traction with the larger tires than with the original tire size. Now I seldom have to use 4 wheel drive unless I am mowing in the ditch along the road, that is just to ensure that I don't slide down hill sideways.

I have not experienced any problems with the front wheels touching the tie rod ends. As you mentioned, the wheels are very close to the tie rod ends, but they never touch. I have had the bigger tires and wheels on the tractor for about 18 months and never had a problem.
Thanks for the response. I've actually decided to get another set of spacers that are 1.25" overall as I like the idea of having the hub-centric design, which the 1/4" spacers don't have. Perhaps I will take them off, but for now, I'll give them a try.

I don't use the mower deck (anyone want to buy a 54" mower deck?) as my property, unfortunately, is more suited to a push mower - we have lots of little lawns with many obstacles to mow around...I swear my wife is setting up a mowing obstacle course to see how nimble I am.

I do have rear spacers (2") and wouldn't trade those for the world! We have a number of hills and slopes, and while I'm always careful to not travel across slopes, I do like the extra stability the spacers offer when going thru the woods.