BX Brakes

Wooter

Equipment
BX24
Nov 14, 2016
Pittsburgh
I've done some searching here and it looks like nobody has any info on an actual brake replacement, only adjusting the linkage. Judging from looking under the right wheel area, it is a bear of a job. Looks like frame side plates have to come off. Has anyone done a brake disc replacement? I have the manual and it isn't very descriptive.....only shows the axle shaft and trans unit like it was floating in space and no step by step description I saw to removal.

I'd like to know:

What is the dealer cost/hours for repair?

Has anyone done the repair themselves? What did it entail?

I was really surprised at how this was/is designed. Not user friendly by any means....however, I love the tractor.....mines a BX24D.

I wondered if there was an aftermarket fix and haven't seen one yet.

Thank you in advance.

Wooter

Equipment
BX24
Nov 14, 2016
Pittsburgh
Check out the illustrated parts diagrams for a view of the layout
https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/
I have looked those over several times plus spent time under the right wheel well area. It looks like either you remove sections of the frame or lower the differential and associated parts. I don't think you can remove the axle housing and differential cover that houses the brake assy due to limited space without major disassembly.

I haven't seen any comments here on doing that so far.

Dealer says 'split the tractor' like remove the frame to gain access.
15 hours @ $85/hour.

What a lousy engineered system.

Thanks for your help.

007kubotaguy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B7100DT L245DT JD 2355
Dec 23, 2012
Herald Calif.
Hello
I just replaced the complete rear axle housing on a BX 2200. The brakes are the last thing in the rear end housing. It's going to require complete disassembly of the rear end housing. As stated above the complete rear end assembly will have to be removed from the frame rails. I had over 20 hours labor in replacing the housing. Good luck. Lance

ThisIsNotaStep

Equipment
2005 bx23 tlb
Nov 26, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Sorry to hear Wooter .. my BX has about 1200 hrs on her and last time I adjusted the brakes I noticed there wasn't much slack left. For my benefit and others, if you can, take allot of pics it would really be appreciated.

orange crusher

Equipment
BX 2680
Sep 30, 2017
ontario canada
Sorry to hear Wooter .. my BX has about 1200 hrs on her and last time I adjusted the brakes I noticed there wasn't much slack left. For my benefit and others, if you can, take allot of pics it would really be appreciated.

Not sure how you could need brakes on a sub compact tractor. My current sub compact (before getting the BX2680), is 11 years old and has just under 900 hrs. I have never had to adjust the brakes and believe my brakes to be in excellent condition. But then again there are cars and trucks that go thru a set of brakes in 25,000 miles and some that go through a set of brakes in 75,000 miles. It isn't always because of "lousy engineering"..............

ehenry

Equipment
BX22, FEL, BH, 40" pto tiller, 42" Bushog Squealer, pto hole digger, B7300 w/60"
Mar 25, 2014
Canton, MS
My BX22 was purchased new in '02 and has never had or needed the brakes adjusted. it has 1500+ hours on it. About the only time I use the brake is to lock them prior to chaining it down when trailering. If I had to guess they are still probably like new since I literally have never had to use them.

Last edited:

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
Same story here. 400 hours and 5 years later I still have yet to even use the brakes once aside from setting it as a parking brake. Even towing my 21' boat downhill the HST provides plenty of drag. Not sure how a subcompact with HST would ever go through a set.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
Bought mine used also on an auction. Some one must have left them locked because I have no brakes and I've adjusted them. Never needed them either unless trailering somewhere, and that is only once a year.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Shelbygt660

Feb 27, 2017
echo bay
Transaxle would have to be removed from the rails to do a brake job. Had to do. One that a customer didn't use his brake then went to use it and didn't notice it was stuck on (wore them to nothing). Fender pan, fuel tank, and rops have to come off. Then you remove the bolts securing the rails to the transaxle and remove it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

maclean

Equipment
BX25D
Jun 25, 2014
Lowell, Or
Same issue here. Neighbor's kid left the brake on one click. Didn't notice for a couple of days. Brakes make using the backhoe easier.

I'd come help and practice on your tractor...

-Mac

Wooter

Equipment
BX24
Nov 14, 2016
Pittsburgh
That's the way mine came when bought used and me not being real familiar with Kubota's.
Makes me wonder how they do it on a John Deere.

Guy down the road has a BX24 too and his parking brake is that FEL thingy just like mine.

Last edited: