BX Ballast Box

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Valve under seat controls lowering speed, closing it may give you the desired results. Otherwise it needs to be chained or manually secured in the raised position. Owners manual shows how to fix lift arms in raised position, hate to do it with heavy load attached.

doug49

Mar 27, 2020
Plymouth MA
Thanks for reply. I use a quick hitch and leave installed all the time. Is it wise to fix the lift arms in the raised position with the quick hitch attached? If someone has a photo of the lift arms fixed in the raised position it would help me.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I can't remember who posted it, but, there was a picture of the 3pt secured with chains. There are brackets you can get from kubota as well (some came with the grass collector) which are specifically designed to hook the top of the 3point arms which makes them a fixed position. If your are going to use other things on it,. My guess chains would be better. Closing the 3pt valve will (mostly) work but it will slowly leak down.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
If you have them, these brackets are there to tie the 3PH up. They are the pin holes on either side of the side links/lift arms.

I wouldn’t use them with a ballast box though.

image.jpg

BX23S-1

May 29, 2017
No where Special
What has always worked for me, was to park the tractor with the 3pt hitch lowered. When i use the tractor, i close the 3pt valve under the seat, then i raise my ballast. It rarely drops much at all. If it does drop a little, i just pull the lift lever and raise it back up. I dont think i have to raise more than twice in one day while using the tractor. Some do leak down faster than others, but mine stays put pretty good.

If it is a ballast box (or any other implement) you dont plan on removing for long periods of time, chain it or block it in the up position. I have a custom made locking bar i made for mine, but i dont use it now. It got to be a hassle because i change out implements so often.

Snowmansimon

Dec 31, 2015
Canada
This is out of the manual. The post above shows a pic of the 'holder plate'. Doesn't mention anything about how much weight it can handle.

BX.JPG

BobInSD

Equipment
L5740
Jun 23, 2020
South Dakota
Do you move the lift rods and attach them there? It doesn't look like much angle if you chain to there. If you do move the lift rods, what hold it up while you move them? I assume you want them both connected all the time.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
If you do move the lift rods, what hold it up while you move them? I assume you want them both connected all the time.
I doubt that you’re able to un pin them if there’s any weight on the arms.

I would suggest you use a floor jack under the weight box to lift the weight and disconnect the arms and then adjust the implement to the height to connect the fixed arm and then adjust the other arm if needed. Then remove the floor jack.

Hopefully there is enough space underneath to get the jack back out.

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
I had mentioned this in earlier post but didn't get a chance to take a picture until today. On the BX, here is want the brackets look like that are installed with the grass catcher.
PXL_20201205_173015661.jpg

You can see them to left and right of the 3 point arms. These things are seriously thick. I can't see why you couldn't put ballast on there. The grass catcher weights nearly 200lbs. BTW yeah I know the 3 point arms on the left is rotated backward, I noticed it when I took the picture and I fixed it right afterwards. 😜

atitus

Equipment
BX1880+FEL,MMM,Blower
Feb 11, 2019
Worcester, MA
Also when it's on those brackets, the arms are a bunch lower; should make it easier to get a static load on there like ballast.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Thanks for reply. I use a quick hitch and leave installed all the time. Is it wise to fix the lift arms in the raised position with the quick hitch attached? If someone has a photo of the lift arms fixed in the raised position it would help me.
Here is a picture of my 3 point held up with chains.

Attachments

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
Where can I get/buy the solid arm brackets to hold up the 3PH
Thanks doug
I am not sure what you mean by solid arm brackets. Can you please be a little more specific? Maybe a picture of what you are looking for would help.