BX Backhoe bucket size?

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
My son-in-law is thinking about buying a BX 23S I think. He was asking about bucket size for the backhoe. I told him I thought 12 inches would be the minimum size for our area. I use a 16 inch on my B2910 backhoe and I wish I would’ve got a 24 inch.

So I’m just wondering what you guys with BX backhoes think about the 16 inch bucket on a BX. If you were buying a new one would you get the 16 inch or the 12 inch?

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
What kind of work, what kind of material?

If he is mainly moving material, get the biggest bucket possible.

If he is mainly trenching, I would stick to 12" or less.

Personally, I would want a 6" and an 18" on that machine, but digging up here is nasty, so the materials really matter.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
What kind of work, what kind of material?

If he is mainly moving material, get the biggest bucket possible.

If he is mainly trenching, I would stick to 12" or less.

Personally, I would want a 6" and an 18" on that machine, but digging up here is nasty, so the materials really matter.
Work would be anything you can imagine on mostly wooded 3 acres.

My 10” bucket is often a nightmare with clay soil here in this area...sticks and makes the bucket capacity nearly zero much of the time. To the point I never use it.

I guess I was wondering if the BX has the guts to dig well with the 16 inch bucket, or if anyone who bought a 16 inch bucket regretted it, and why.

Wonder if my 10 inch bucket would fit a BX? Maybe he will get lucky. :)

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I had a BX23 (older version) and selected the 12" bucket. That seems to be the most common and appropriate size for that machine. To me, the 8" (they used to offer a 10") was just too small. It wasn't like a high capacity trenching bucket. If he encounters clay frequently, the larger the bucket, the better off he will be. Clay tends to really stick in a narrow bucket and can be pretty frustrating to dig.

I have a 16" on my BH77 (B2650) and it's sized about right for that. I would think it would be a bit large for the BX.

edit: ha, I see you already figured out the issue with clay.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'd go with the 16". The BX23S has enough power for it and might be better in clay. I got a 12" on mine 2 years ago and while it's served me well, wider would have been better for moving 'stuff' here and there, digging deep holes in good soil.

NHSleddog

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650
Dec 19, 2019
Southern, NH
Work would be anything you can imagine on mostly wooded 3 acres.

My 10” bucket is often a nightmare with clay soil here in this area...sticks and makes the bucket capacity nearly zero much of the time. To the point I never use it.

I guess I was wondering if the BX has the guts to dig well with the 16 inch bucket, or if anyone who bought a 16 inch bucket regretted it, and why.

Wonder if my 10 inch bucket would fit a BX? Maybe he will get lucky. :)
Ahhhh clay.

Big bucket, and cut a few holes in the back of it to break the vacuum and help release sticky material. Up here that tends to be muddy thick top soil.

greenacresnorth

Equipment
L2501,BH77
Feb 18, 2018
Morganton,NC
I bought my backhoe with the intent of digging out small shrubs and small stumps, 12" has served my very well, it works very good in the clay/rock we have here in western NC mountains.

Redbusdriver

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23S MMM PHD Grapple
Apr 13, 2017
Vancouver WA
I have a BX23S and went with the 16 inch bucket. The bucket curl has the most force on the backhoe and I have not regretted it at all, even when digging stumps. I do live in a area of good loam soil, not much clay. If I were to get another bucket it would be a small trencher or even a ripper blade. Were I at my last place that had high clay and a bit of shale the 12 inch would most likely be better. Hope that helps!