BX 2200 PTO lever not moving

arml

Equipment
B5100e BX2200 JD455AWS JD425
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
So when I try to move the PTO lever to engage the rear or any other, I can't seem to get it to move unless I hit it hard with my hand several times. I don't see a grease fitting on the linkage, tried to spray it with PB Blaster... no luck. What is this problem, what is the cure ?

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
It could be simply were the gears are sitting . Sometimes mine will shift just fine other times not. Sometimes just bump the starter will help. I've found that with the tractor Off you can turn either the rear or mid PTO shaft by hand just a bit and it will line up the gears and allow you to move the lever easliy.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
It could be simply were the gears are sitting . Sometimes mine will shift just fine other times not. Sometimes just bump the starter will help. I've found that with the tractor Off you can turn either the rear or mid PTO shaft by hand just a bit and it will line up the gears and allow you to move the lever easliy.
I was putting my BX2200 mower deck back on a couple days ago, after performing routine maintenance, and the mid PTO and the rear PTO would not turn by hand, with the engine off of course. Helpful if the mid PTO does turn, when hooking the driveshaft back up.

So I moved the PTO selector. At one point I found a position where the mid PTO was free and could be turned by hand. Got the mower driveshaft hooked back up, but then I could not get the PTO selector to move back to the mid PTO position.

This has happened to me before, and since I only use the mid PTO on the BX, I actually wired it so I can not accidentally bump it out of the mid PTO position.

To make a long story short, what I did was engage the PTO briefly, and disengage it, while the engine was running, and after a few tries something shifted and I was able to get the lever back to the mid PTO position, where I normally keep it.

Perhaps the OP might try this as well.

I do not think forcing things is a good idea, as something could end up being bent internally, which would not be good.

I never thought about trying to move the unlocked PTO shafts (with the engine not running) which could be a great solution. Would have been difficult for me with the mower hooked up, but maybe I could have moved the rear shaft, don't know...

Reactions: 1 user

arml

Equipment
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
OK, got it to go! Amazing what lube will do if applied to the right spot. Smooth as silk now.....
Next project is to stop the creep when taking foot off the pedal, gets hairy at times.

Reactions: 1 users

JeremyBX2200

Equipment
BX2200
Aug 3, 2020
Indiana
OK, got it to go! Amazing what lube will do if applied to the right spot. Smooth as silk now.....
Next project is to stop the creep when taking foot off the pedal, gets hairy at times.
Any pics or can you describe where you lubricanted. After reading this I took a the PTO linkage on my BX2200. Looks like it starts on the “Drivers side” rear wheel area and then goes under the gas tank.

Figured lubricating it would be good preventative maintenance.

Reactions: 1 user

arml

Equipment
Jan 27, 2022
Pennsylvania
I'll get some pics for you in a day or two, rain coming. I didn't even have to remove the rear wheel.

Reactions: 1 users

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Any pics or can you describe where you lubricanted. After reading this I took a the PTO linkage on my BX2200. Looks like it starts on the “Drivers side” rear wheel area and then goes under the gas tank.

Figured lubricating it would be good preventative maintenance.
I think I am going to follow Arml's lead too and lubricate mine as well... (y)