BX 2200 Bogging Down in Forward Up Hills

RABBB

Equipment
BX 2200
Jun 29, 2022
KY
I purchased this BX nearly 20 years ago, it has over 1100 hours on it. At the end of last season, I broke the left side of the rear diff, and bent the left axle. Don't ask me how, I will just say it was not the fault of the tractor;) Over the winter I obtained a nice used diff case and axle. I took everything apart and switched it all over. It now seems to work well except going up a steep hill forward in low gear, especially mowing, it bogs to the point of dying if I don't ease off of it. It goes up the side of a cliff in reverse. So I am mowing my steep dam bank by backing up. I now I have missed something, but as of yet I have not found it. If anyone has any ideas that I might ty, I would appreciate it!

RABBB

Equipment
BX 2200
Jun 29, 2022
KY
I have now replaced the fuel filters, fuel pump, and made sure I had good flow through the fuel system, no problem there. So I must have done something when I put the trans back together. It is not something I can't live with, but it certainly is a pain at times. Any ideas?? Any transmission experts out there?

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
How tight were the brakes when you assembled it with the new diff? I had an older machine where the brakes tended to drag more going forward than reverse and an adjustment of the preload was able to fix that. Not saying you have the same issue but may be related. Any trouble with just rolling forward down a slight downward grade?

RABBB

Equipment
BX 2200
Jun 29, 2022
KY
That is a good point, I will check that. It had actually crossed my mind. I guess I could back way off the turn buckle adjustment and try it. Thanks for the reply!

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
That is a good point, I will check that. It had actually crossed my mind. I guess I could back way off the turn buckle adjustment and try it. Thanks for the reply!
Or just stop on a hill where the problem occurs, hold the brake on, put the range selector in neutral, and see if you move backwards with the brake off...

But if it was a brake drag problem it seems like it would affect either direction. So you may want to back up a hill before trying the brake test, so you have better control when/if you start moving.

RABBB

Equipment
BX 2200
Jun 29, 2022
KY
I think the brakes were the main issue. I remove one end of each brake rod, and it made a huge difference. I readjusted and reinstalled. One side was actually bent which made it tighter. Thanks for your help. RAB