BX 1880 Propeller Shaft Front Boot Replacement

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
On the weekend the tractor developed a rattle/ticking strange sound coming from below my feet. Assumed a branch must have gotten caught up when I was cleaning up brush after the hurricane and was the cause of the noise.

I had to remove the mower deck to get under and see what was going on. No visible branches or debris, but the remnant of the front rubber boot was on the shaft and spinning making what I know now was a slapping noise.

I called the dealer and asked about the repair. The person I spoke with talked to someone and then came back on the line and told me it is a about a 2 day job and they have to take the tractor apart to remove the shaft and replace to boot. Well that set me back as my mind raced to thinking about the bill for 16 hours labour to replace a $5 part. I simply said let me look into it and get back to you.

The BX1880 WSM 4.5.1.14 Removing the Propeller Shaft says "1. Disconnect the front coupling (1) from the engine. 2 Remove the propeller shaft assembly. 3. Remove the HST Fan from the Propeller shaft.

Does anyone know if the front coupling is unbolted if there is enough movement in the shaft splines to slide the propeller shaft back enough to replace the boot?

Is there another option to provide protection to the area, perhaps coating it with grease and regularly cleaning and replacing.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
some BX's require the engine to be removed from its engine mounts, slid slightly forward about 3" to allow for the shaft to drop out.

There is little to no room.

Last edited:

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
some BX's require the engine to be removed from its engine mounts, slid slightly forward about 3" to allow for the shaft to drop out.

There is little to no room.
Thanks very much for the reply and the photos. Looks like it is beyond the equipment I have on hand to tackle the replacement. Do you have an idea how much time it might take a dealship to complete the repair?

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
About 2 arms and a leg should just about cover it. :) I did the job on my BX22 a few years ago, and it took me the better part of the day to remove the cab and then the floor pan. Once it was removed, I was able to disconnect the shaft and push it to the upper right corner of the machine and unbolt the broken plastic fan and replace that. I also greased the balls and put a new boot onto the shaft. Not sure that I would want to tackle it again with the Curtis Deluxe cab on the machine. Just getting too old for that type of work.

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
About 2 arms and a leg should just about cover it. :) I did the job on my BX22 a few years ago, and it took me the better part of the day to remove the cab and then the floor pan. Once it was removed, I was able to disconnect the shaft and push it to the upper right corner of the machine and unbolt the broken plastic fan and replace that. I also greased the balls and put a new boot onto the shaft. Not sure that I would want to tackle it again with the Curtis Deluxe cab on the machine. Just getting too old for that type of work.
I appreciate the information. I guess the dealer was right when he said it was a 2 day job.
Just hard to swallow paying $2,000 to replace a $5 part.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Just hard to swallow paying $2,000 to replace a $5 part.
could measure the joint end and shaft size and maybe find a split boot repair kit 🤷‍♂️

disclaimer- I have no personal experience with using them…

edit: another thought being a current model series, is it financed and have KTAC insurance?

Reactions: 1 user

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
could measure the joint end and shaft size and maybe find a split boot repair kit 🤷‍♂️

disclaimer- I have no personal experience with using them…

edit: another thought being a current model series, is it financed and have KTAC insurance?
Good thought. Yes I have KTac insurance. I’ll call and ask if it is covered.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
To replace the front rubber boot, disconnect the shaft from the crankshaft pulley, and remove the spacer between the pulley & the shaft. Slide the old boot rearward, now remove the retaining ring from inside the hub which will now slide off of the propeller shaft exposing the 4 balls. Caution, at least 2 of the balls will fall out. Remove the remaining balls, if any from the hub and save them. Now, remove the external snap ring and slide the hub from the propeller shaft. You can now R&R the front boot, and also the rear boot if needed.
Reverse the disassembly steps replacing the o-rings under the balls. Coat the balls with heavy grease to keep them in place until you get the hub slide back over them.

If your dealer wants to remove the sheet metal to access the propeller shaft, which should not take over 4 hours even if it is their first time, is wanting to charge for 2 days, you need a new dealer. The Repair Time Schedule is 2.2 hours to R&R the complete propeller shaft.

See the attached pdfs for the parts breakdown and the RTS.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
To replace the front rubber boot, disconnect the shaft from the crankshaft pulley, and remove the spacer between the pulley & the shaft. Slide the old boot rearward, now remove the retaining ring from inside the hub which will now slide off of the propeller shaft exposing the 4 balls. Caution, at least 2 of the balls will fall out. Remove the remaining balls, if any from the hub and save them. Now, remove the external snap ring and slide the hub from the propeller shaft. You can now R&R the front boot, and also the rear boot if needed.
Reverse the disassembly steps replacing the o-rings under the balls. Coat the balls with heavy grease to keep them in place until you get the hub slide back over them.

If your dealer wants to remove the sheet metal to access the propeller shaft, which should not take over 4 hours even if it is their first time, is wanting to charge for 2 days, you need a new dealer. The Repair Time Schedule is 2.2 hours to R&R the complete propeller shaft.

See the attached pdfs for the parts breakdown and the RTS.
This makes it seem like a much more manageable repair. I spoke with another dealer about an hour away and they estimate 6 hours and their approach was the same as B737 and said they had to move the engine forward to gain access. They have never put one through KTAC, but thought it would be covered in the circumstances so I will check. Thank you for your reply.

Meadowbank Kubota

Equipment
BX1880 with an LA344s
Aug 23, 2021
Cornwall, PE
I spoke with the insurance provider. The damage is accidental damage and is covered. They sent a claim form to complete and the dealer will have to complete an estimate for the repair This will not be as painful as it first appeared it was going to be.

Reactions: 5 users

58Ford

Equipment
BX23s, LA340, BT603, RCR1248, PFL1242, STB1072
Jan 1, 2022
SW Washington
Thanks for getting back to us. As a fellow BX owner and Ktak purchaser this is good to know!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I spoke with the insurance provider. The damage is accidental damage and is covered. They sent a claim form to complete and the dealer will have to complete an estimate for the repair This will not be as painful as it first appeared it was going to be.
A very PLEASANT surprise indeed!
Don't EVER go back to that first dealer,.....for ANYTHING!!
EVER !!!!!

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
This makes it seem like a much more manageable repair. I spoke with another dealer about an hour away and they estimate 6 hours and their approach was the same as B737 and said they had to move the engine forward to gain access. They have never put one through KTAC, but thought it would be covered in the circumstances so I will check. Thank you for your reply.
They evidently have not tried to do an 80 series as they have a little more clearance than all of the previous models.
To replace the front joint, boot, or rear boot on the previous models you just removed the 4 nuts from the ISO mounts and lifted the engine about 1/2". You can then use a couple of bungy cords to hold it forward about 1 1/2" to get the clearance. There is no need to disconnect any hoses or wiring even.

Replacing the fan or rear joint requires removing the ROPS, fenders, and the operator's platform on any of the BX series tractors. The BX 80 series is the easiest and should not take anywhere near 6 hours.

KTAC is hands down the best insurance you can have on a piece of equipment.

Reactions: 1 users

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Since you have to remove the ROPS, fenders, and the operator's platform on any of the BX series tractors, what would be the time required to remove a Curtis Deluxe cab from a series 80 BX tractor? Not having any idea if it has to be disassembled or if it could be lifted as a unit is a reason for my asking this question. thanks.

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Well, its a good thing I have been following this thread. Today, after two weeks, I got my tractor back from the dealer after the 200 hr. service. I found this:
IMG_20221021_162015.jpg

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Amazing that the dealership didn't mention it to you while they had the tractor for the 200-hour service. That is not normal wear and tear on a part, but deterioration of the rubber because of poor quality materials. I would ask the dealership to replace it free of charge under the warranty. I don't even want to get under my tractor to see what the boot on my driveshaft looks like because it probably looks like yours or worse yet, it has fallen off completely.
Possibly if enough of us get together we can cause Kubota to do a factory recall on the defective part and if they refuse, move to a class action lawsuit claiming defective parts! What say you? Care to jump on for the ride?

xrocketengineer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1880, FEL, Grapple, 36 in. Forks, 48in. MMM, Quick Spade, Ripper
Nov 14, 2020
Merritt Island, Florida
Amazing that the dealership didn't mention it to you while they had the tractor for the 200-hour service. That is not normal wear and tear on a part, but deterioration of the rubber because of poor quality materials. I would ask the dealership to replace it free of charge under the warranty. I don't even want to get under my tractor to see what the boot on my driveshaft looks like because it probably looks like yours or worse yet, it has fallen off completely.
Possibly if enough of us get together we can cause Kubota to do a factory recall on the defective part and if they refuse, move to a class action lawsuit claiming defective parts! What say you? Care to jump on for the ride?
I might be interested even though I already bought the parts from Messick, only $20 including shipping. I will try to replace them per whitetiger's directions. I bought the boot, both snap rings and 4 balls and dampers. I think that includes all the parts that can fly off and get lost forever.
My only concern is if I have to rotate the engine to access the bolts and prevent it from starting. I was thinking about rigging something to physically pull on the engine shutoff while I am doing the work.

Last edited:

DustyRusty

Equipment
BX23S
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
If you remove the battery cables from the battery, there is zero chance that the engine will start no matter what you do when you rotate the engine. I don't believe that you will have enough energy to spin it fast enough when turning it manually with a breaker bar.

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Yeah... you'll not start the engine when slowly rotating it to access the bolts. 1/4 slow turn of the crank, remove a bolt. Repeat. The last two, have them both accesible so as you do not rotate the engine loading one bolt unless you have a helper rotating the engine from the other end.
I had to separate the engine from the drive shaft on my BX25D to replace the fan belt. Not a big deal at all.