Buying L3901 with Loader

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Planning on buying an L3901. Looked at some other brands and decided on Kubota to compliment my 35 Massey. Any advice about the L3901 from any owners? Any major issues or questions I should ask the dealer? Putting fluid in rears. Gotta find out about winterization kit for oil breather I guess. How is the Kubota insurance plan? Has anybody bought or used it or is it like all other insurance deals. Thx for the input..

Last edited:

Hook

Equipment
L3240 with LA514 FEL, Box Blade, Howard Rotovator, All Purpose Plow, Sub Soiler
Jul 6, 2010
Jackson, Georgia
I just purchased Kubota insurance for my tractor which is a 2008 model. The insurance cost in the U.S. is $15.60 per year per thousand dollar value of the tractor. In other words if your tractor is valued at $10K the insurance would cost $156.60 per year. The plan covers theft, fire, storms etc and also provides coverage while the tractor is being transported. If your tractor is being stored somewhere other than where you reside it is covered. The agent sent the paper work to my email for me to sign. I printed out the application, signed it and took a picture of the signed document and emailed it back. Once that was done he called me back and took my payment information. It was very easy. I could not find any local Ins. Co. who would cover a tractor including my home owner's plan since it was not being stored at my residence.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I have a L3901 the FEL and love it so far. I use mine mainly for mowing about 6 acres but I also will be using it for maintaining a 600' +/- gravel driveway.

I originally just added the machine to my homeowners insurance but then decided to get the Kubota insurance instead. They charged me $11.65 per thousand for the plan per year and it covers a lot more than the homeowners policy I added it to. I think it's worth the money.

One thing to mention I originally purchased my tractor with the R4 tires but after using it for about ten or twelve hours I noticed I wasn't able to add chains because there wasn't enough clearance between the tires and the inside of the fenders to clear the chains. I also added the upgraded 3 point lift arm slide links to replace the turn buckles that they put on it new from Kubota and found it hard to attach some 3 point attachments because the R4 tires wouldn't allow the 3 point arms to open wide enough to clear the pins. All the problems were solved after the Dealer swapped the R4s for a new set of R1s with the rims setup for the widest stance they could give me.

As far as weight I did have the tires loaded but needed more weight when using my pallet forks so I also added the ballast box Kubota offers it weighs right around 1000 lbs and works great when lifting and carrying max loads on the forks.

I thing you will be happy with a L3901 if you decide to get one. :)

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Seems like most of the L3901 owners are happy with them, and that includes me. The tier 4 regens haven't been an issue as long as you take the time to read the manual and know what to do when the light starts blinking, which is simply increasing the rpm. Definitely get your rear tires filled. These models love weight in the back.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
Thanks a lot for the replies. How is the power? Running old school 35 Massey with 20% more displacement and @ 1600 rpm. Specs show it about 17% more pto hp. Going to be using 60" bush hog style mower, 58" tiller, 66" snow blower. Anyone using similar equipment?

Last edited:

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
I run a Land Pride 35-90 finish mower off of mine most of the time without any trouble. I also have a bush hog stump grinder I don't remember the model number but it works great too.

I have a Land Pride angle snow plow for the front it uses the 3rd function valve to angle probably one of the nicest attachments you can put on the front of a L3901.