Buying in today’s economy

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
New member, long time reader.
I am finally in the position to pay cash for a new tractor. I have 60 acres, 10 acres of fields and 50 wooded. The tractor will be used for brush hogging, trail maintenance, collecting firewood and woodland management.
Looking at all the tractor specs I am leaning towards a L4760. I like the features and dimensions.
The couple of things that bother me is there are no local dealers that have one on the lot for me to check out to see if it fits me right. I cannot travel to far to look at distant dealers as my wife is handicapped and doesn’t travel well.
Also I not sure of buying something with all the electronic bells and whistles in today’s market. I have made a few purchases during Covid where the quality wasn’t up to expectations.
For those of you that have bought the Lxx60 series since Covid started have you had any quality problems?

Thanks

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I am finally in the position to pay cash for a new tractor. I have 60 acres, 10 acres of fields and 50 wooded. The tractor will be used for brush hogging, trail maintenance, collecting firewood and woodland management.
Looking at all the tractor specs I am leaning towards a L4760. I like the features and dimensions.
The couple of things that bother me is there are no local dealers that have one on the lot for me to check out to see if it fits me right. I cannot travel to far to look at distant dealers as my wife is handicapped and doesn’t travel well.
Also I not sure of buying something with all the electronic bells and whistles in today’s market. I have made a few purchases during Covid where the quality wasn’t up to expectations.
For those of you that have bought the Lxx60 series since Covid started have you had any quality problems?

Thanks
Stretch your $ if necessary, but be sure to get a factory 3rd function, and at least two rear remotes.

Reactions: 1 user

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Stretch your $ if necessary, but be sure to get a factory 3rd function, and at least two rear remotes.
Thanks third function and two rear remotes are on the list when I buy along with tire ballast or wheel weights.
One other issue I may have is third function buttons/ toggle. Due to an injury I have no feeling in my right thumb, index and middle fingers so I would have to run the third function buttons with my ring and pinky finger.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
Also take a look at the MX series. More capability for your uses, but less bells and whistles. Dealers sell and stock a lot of these models.

Reactions: 3 users

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
Also take a look at the MX series. More capability for your uses, but less bells and whistles. Dealers sell and stock a lot of these models.
L4701 and MX5400 were also on the short list and are still options. I don’t want to sacrifice being able to get around in the woods by getting to large of a frame tractor.

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
I believe, but could be wrong, that the 4060 and 4760 are the same frame and the 5060, 5460, and 6060 is the same frame slightly larger (6 inches or so than 4760). The 3560 is a smallest frame of the series.

So, if you can sit in a 4060 or 3560 and they fit you okay, the 4760 should fit you.

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
I love my M5660. No bells or whistles, power shuttle tranny. Economically priced.

Reactions: 1 users

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma

Thanks
With your finger issue, you might benefit from a different (older?) style 3rd function control.
My 2006 Kubota L48 TLB has 3rd function, but it is not electrical/button controlled.
I did not buy my machine new, but have always assumed that my 3rd function control is OEM.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Thanks
No regrets on my L6060...Kubota has been making the Tier 4 final version for a decade now. I think you will love the 4760. 3rd function is a must for forestry work.

Can you get on any of the L60 machines? They all operate the same.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
No regrets on my L6060...Kubota has been making the Tier 4 final version for a decade now. I think you will love the 4760. 3rd function is a must for forestry work.

Been making Tier 4 since 2012?
Time sure flies!

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572 box scrape, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
If your looking at a L4701 or L4760 I agree with others it’s worth looking at the MX5400. It is a slightly larger frame and there isn’t much difference in the 3 point but the loader capacity is significantly better than the L4701. The MX was a bit too large for some of the areas on our property, which is why I went with the L4701, but the MX is not tremendously larger in exterior dimensions so it’s worth a look if you’re wanting a basic tractor. From a basic/luxury standpoint, the MX is very similar to the 4701.

The L4760 will give you increased loader capacity over the L4701 so it may be a good option if you want the better loader capacity in a frame size slightly smaller than the MX (albeit only a few inches narrower than the MX). The L4701 is a bit narrower than the L4760, so it’s the narrowest of the three options.

In my case, we had numerous trails originally made for a 9N Ford 40 years ago, so the 4701 barely fits with virtually zero clearance in many areas and many dozens of mature trees that would have to be removed to widen them. If I had the trail width to handle the MX, for the relatively nominal cost difference I would have gone with the MX. Only reason I didn’t seriously consider the 60 series was I wanted a basic tractor with as much PTO HP and lift capacity (front and back) as I could cram down the narrow trails without major modifications to the property and the 60 series is not a basic tractor.

No complaints with the 4701, but even in the 50 HP +/- range it isn’t for everyone.

For as many as you can, sitting on them is good advice. If you sit on a MX5400 and like it but it’s a little too big, you can figure the L4701 will be pretty much the same, just a little smaller. As someone else pointed out, the 60 series is similar in that if you can sit on one of a similar size it will give you a pretty good idea what the difference in a 60 series v Lxx01 or MX would be.

Only other thing I’d say from experience is cabs are really nice for a lot of chores but they aren’t really nice in tight quarters in the woods. If I had a cab, I would have had numerous places I couldn’t go or would have replaced the glass about 50 times by now.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan

No L60 serious on the couple of nearest dealers lots. There was a cab version about 100 miles away but I hate to drive that far with the wife and I’m looking at an open station.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
No L60 serious on the couple of nearest dealers lots. There was a cab version about 100 miles away but I hate to drive that far with the wife and I’m looking at an open station.
Well it is the most premium machine Kubota makes. Not saying the others (MX etc) arent perfectly fine…just depends on what type of machine you want.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
L4701 and MX5400 were also on the short list and are still options. I don’t want to sacrifice being able to get around in the woods by getting to large of a frame tractor.
Consider that stability and weight are also important factors for doing woods work. One of the things I value most about the MX is the stability.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I was checking that same tractor out at my dealer about a month ago. I am 6'2" and 206 lbs and that is a bigger tractor size wise and perfect power wise for your needs IMO. All the electronic gizmos will be covered under warranty so that allows one to breathe easy for awhile. I say go for it. I have an ancient 40 hp Allis Chalmers I use on my 40 acres for the same tasks you are describing. I don't think you would want meaningfully less tractor or need anymore. You will love owning a Kubota. Good luck.

Heehaw

Equipment
MX5400hst Kubota Z726X
Oct 4, 2022
Michigan
I was checking that same tractor out at my dealer about a month ago. I am 6'2" and 206 lbs and that is a bigger tractor size wise and perfect power wise for your needs IMO. All the electronic gizmos will be covered under warranty so that allows one to breathe easy for awhile. I say go for it. I have an ancient 40 hp Allis Chalmers I use on my 40 acres for the same tasks you are describing. I don't think you would want meaningfully less tractor or need anymore. You will love owning a Kubota. Good luck.
Thanks for the reply.
I am 6’3” and 190#. Good point about the warranty. I have gotten by with a Ford 860 for years but as I get older a loader/ grapple sure would be nice instead of using back muscles!

Bmyers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L3560 with LA805 loader, EA 55" Wicked Grapple, SBX72 BB, LP 1272 mower
May 27, 2019
Southern Illinois
Thanks for the reply.
I am 6’3” and 190#. Good point about the warranty. I have gotten by with a Ford 860 for years but as I get older a loader/ grapple sure would be nice instead of using back muscles!
I know I love my grapple for the amount of work it has taken off my back.

20211106_111620.jpg

20201128_092843.jpg

Resized_20200903_171724.jpg