Buying First Compact Tractor

Falcon22

Aug 5, 2021
Michigan
Hello all.

I am new to the forum, first post, so I'll share some information. I am interested in purchasing my first compact tractor. I have 5 acres of land. 2 acres of yard (finish mowing). I have 3 acres of unmaintained woods. All land is relatively flat. I am interested in a used kubota B7500hst with a loader. I would use the machine for rotory mowing(included in the purchase) maintaining trails in woods, landscaping(replacing stone and mulch in garden beds). Hauling trimmings and firewood in my 4x6 utility trailer, and occasional mowing with included mmm. I have experience on both a b2400 and l4200 and think that the b7500 would fit my needs. Seller is asking $15,000 for the unit. It seems to be in very good shape. 900+ hours, stored indoors, and up to date maintenance. Includes loader, 54" mmm, and a 48" rotary mower. Does this price seem fair? About 10k less than a new B2601, without the added rotary mower. Should I be looking for a better deal or possibly a new B2601?

Thank you all for your time!

Reactions: 1 user

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Perhaps a little expensive, but not outrageously so. If in good condition, it's probably about the going price in the current market, particularly including loader, mower and rotary cutter.

Falcon22

Aug 5, 2021
Michigan
Perhaps a little expensive, but not outrageously so. If in good condition, it's probably about the going price in the current market, particularly including loader, mower and rotary cutter.
Thanks for the reply Paul. I agree that it seemed a bit high, but the market does seem high all around. I see you have a B2601, in your opinion, would it make sense to spend the extra money for a 20 year newer machine, since the current value of used is so high?

Last edited:

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
Thanks for the reply Paul. I agree that it seemed a bit high, but the market does seem high all around. I see you have a B2601, in your opinion, would it make sense to spend the extra money for a 20 year newer machine, since the current value of used is so high?
Heh. That's like asking "do you think what you did was the right thing?" Of course it was. :)

Tractors hold their value really well, particularly at the moment, so the price of new isn't that much more than used. I had the luxury of paying cash for mine, but in the USA it seems like financing would be the right choice. Yes, there's hidden costs with KTAC insurance etc, but 84 months interest free or whatever the deal is at the moment is pretty attractive. So $20K + implements with financing isn't that much more really, and certainly a lot of that extra cost you'll get back when you sell it.

Personally, yes, I'd get a new machine instead of a quite old machine. They do the same job, but the newer machine is a lot nicer. I had a 2005 BX2350 before the B2601. Lots of functions on the BX didn't work well. I tend to look after my gear reasonably well - I keep it inside, touch up paint where I scratch it etc. The BX had all someone else's mistakes on it (plus a few of mine I guess, first tractor and all). Every panel on it was broken, nothing electrical on it worked any more. Still mowed and tractored just fine though - but it really is nicer having a machine without holes in the seat vinyl (torn seats get wet, so when you sit on it you get wet behind), having lights if I use it in the evening, no funny noises, the mower deck is straight, the safety panels that say "don't step" haven't been stepped on.

I feel like $15K is a bit rich for that machine. I probably wouldn't buy at that price. But I think there's value in your first tractor being quite used - you'll make a few mistakes before you get used to it, and it's annoying to put dents and scratches in a new machine. It really comes down to how much money you have and what you can afford, and how much value you put in having a shiny machine.

A bit rambling, and in the back of my mind I also know that if you ordered a B2601 today you probably wouldn't have it for 3 months. So it also depends how soon you want a machine.

Falcon22

Aug 5, 2021
Michigan
Thank you for the advice Paul. Timing is not the biggest factor. It may be wise to be patient and either find a better deal on used, while getting some quotes on new.

forky

Equipment
L2501 HST 4X4 8N
Feb 23, 2021
Wisconsin
I would buy new and enjoy the new tractor. Repairs will happen with 900 hours on the tractor, and serious problems are on the horizon in my opinion.
If you have no problems with down time and repairs.....
Enjoy a new machine, warranty and no problems....if you do it's covered.
Don't listen to the impatient.

kcs

Equipment
Kubota B2650
Jan 9, 2021
Virginia
I’ve got a B2650. I got it new and financed it with the 0% plus you get a full warranty. My opinion with the 0% is it’s better to get new with the warranty plus you know what the maintenance has been done. Used you don’t know what you are getting

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I would say that availability and how quick you need it plays a bigger part in your decision, than buying new or used. Most people are posting on here how they are waiting weeks to many months for delivery on their new tractor. Even though you can buy new for “Only” $10,000 more, it is $10,000 more. If you have to wait for the new tractor, then that adds more to your angst. While the $15,000 on the B7500 is probably $2-3000 more than what it should be, given the current market, that’s not too out of line. Plus, you can hop right on and start using it. My father has that exact same setup and it is a nice tractor. Buy it now and start using it and if in a couple years you decide you need something different, then trade up.

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
If you could find what you need anywhere near local, I would purchase new. I have found that people like to do all their own maintenance. That’s good and it’s bad! I know I waaaaay over maintain my vehicles of every type. I have a couple friends that won’t touch their tractor, truck etc till there’s a problem, then they brag that they do all their maintenance themselves. That’s NOT preventative maintenance. Maybe I just over think it, but I like to purchase new, and keep it as close to new as I can for as long as I can. That’s just my thinking, but fuel for the fire.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47704

+1 on buying new.

Kubotas financing swayed my decision to buy new. I looked at a cream puff B series 8 year old tractor loader belly mower they wanted 14,000. Price a little high and I would have to take money that was available for investing to buy it if I bought it cash, if I took out a loan it was going to be 6.99%
tractor cost would be 16,366 tax not included.

The new tractor with 0 down (I did put money down) ) 0% fixed apr and rebates put the price at a reasonable payment.Left me with 12,000 to invest. I will make back the difference in price, have a warranty and full dealer support.
plus theres nothing like a shiny new tractor and they have that new tractor smell.

random

Equipment
L3301, bucket, backhoe, grader, plow, harrow, cultivator
Nov 2, 2020
NC
The biggest problem with going new, currently, is going to be availability. If you can find one, that might be the way to go.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
if you buy new dont forget to add ~$2,000 for K-tac (which is worth it), plus any sales tax and doc fees (if any). Availability of new loaders / equipment seems to be slowly improving.

scanning the classifieds here and on Tractorbynet there are two 2601's, L2501 all under 18k. A B2601 (before the price increase) with added dual rear valves, 3rd function, K-tac, taxes will fall out around 21k-22k. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought a new LX2610 and skipped the B2601. Just an extra few dollars and its a lot more comfortable.

Falcon22

Aug 5, 2021
Michigan
Hi all. Thank you for all of the replys and advice. I have not had a chance to get out to the dealership yet, but luckily there is one in my town. I will look into the lx2610 as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 47704

I went for the LX2610 SU for a couple reasons
The 84 month financing
I don't need a mid pto,quick tach, tilt wheel is not needed cruise control can be added I already added the arm rests.
lower price
the big tires improve side hill stability,they don't cut down on turning radius that much,much better on soft ground like I have, the B2601 is a great machine but narrow.
The LX you get a bigger engine more torque, bigger loader, more lift capacity,higher lift

Tractor and loader, big tires, block heater, loaded rears,60" bucket
2500 down
Tax,KTAC, rebates brought the monthly payment to 265.43

My neighbor is supposed to buy a B2601 ,when his comes in we'll park em side by side for comparison, the LX2610 is a good sized machine

Reactions: 1 users

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I went for the LX2610 SU for a couple reasons
The 84 month financing
I don't need a mid pto,quick tach, tilt wheel is not needed cruise control can be added I already added the arm rests.
lower price
the big tires improve side hill stability,they don't cut down on turning radius that much,much better on soft ground like I have, the B2601 is a great machine but narrow.
The LX you get a bigger engine more torque, bigger loader, more lift capacity,higher lift

Tractor and loader, big tires, block heater, loaded rears,60" bucket
2500 down
Tax,KTAC, rebates brought the monthly payment to 265.43

My neighbor is supposed to buy a B2601 ,when his comes in we'll park em side by side for comparison, the LX2610 is a good sized machine
Great choice - but I am biased.