Buying BX2680 - Can you negotiate price?

katyhorn

Equipment
Looking at BX2380
Hello Everyone,

After a lot of research, I'm buying a BX2680. I've been talking with two Kubota dealers (one near my 11 acre property and one near where I live and work.) I'm used to negotiating a lot when buying vehicles. Can you also negotiate when buying tractors? Does buying at end of month matter or any other time? HOw much should I be paying for a BX2680 with a front loader and a rear mower? Thank you!

Roadworthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L2501 HST
Aug 17, 2019
Benton City, WA
You can negotiate until you're blue in the face but that doesn't mean a dealer will flex. You may do better having him throw in a free service or fluid change or something. There doesn't seem to be a lot of flex there coupled with a somewhat short supply. I think it's a seller's market at the moment. If it's any help last year my L2501 with loader ran about $20,000 and the dealer would or could not flex.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
At the very least, get them to toss in the first '50hr' service ! That way ANYTHING goes wrong 'fluid wise' ,it's THEIR fault.....

jbolt001

Equipment
B2401, LA435, BB1254, Qick Hitch, Straw Rake, Debris Forks
Jul 13, 2020
California / Oregon
I think it depends on what the current factory incentives are for the model and availability. When I purchased in July the only discounts for my model machine were for paying cash. Total discounts for the tractor, loader and two implements came to about %10 off MSRP. They also included rear tire bio-ballast and delivery and no extra cost. A lot of product was back ordered in July. Not sure how it is now.

katyhorn

Equipment
Looking at BX2380
I think it depends on what the current factory incentives are for the model and availability. When I purchased in July the only discounts for my model machine were for paying cash. Total discounts for the tractor, loader and two implements came to about %10 off MSRP. They also included rear tire bio-ballast and delivery and no extra cost. A lot of product was back ordered in July. Not sure how it is now.
Thanks!

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Kubota dealers are much like HD was a while back. Theres the price you want it cool,, you want to dicker, nope someone else will buy it. I dont know what the dealers pay for each machine and they do have to have a mark up, however as I understand it they are working pretty close to the bone to start with. SO yeah maybe some freebies like the 50 or 100 service filters what have you. maybe even a T shirt :)

Reactions: 1 users

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
Kubota Dealers around me will do what they can to make a sale, but they dont deviate from MSRP ever since the Tariffs went into effect. Very much like Toyota, they wouldn’t come down $500 and told my wife, “Sorry, but if you dont buy the Rav4, somebody else will before lunch”.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
You can 'dicker' all you want to until the salesman says 'no way Jose'....

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Odds are you may get 10% or less most likely less demand is up supplies are low,, and there in lays the tale

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I think you can get 10% discount with cash payment.
Depends a lot on supply and demand. As I understand it the net to the dealer is the same whether they sell on finance or cash - Kubota actually do the finance, and Kubota own the tractor until sold. So there's no saving to the dealer in cash, and depending on how the finance is structured, potentially actually more profit if they sell KTAC joined to the finance. Many people have said that dealers won't discount for cash v's finance.

Ultimately what a dealer cares about is their net profit (and customer service etc as well of course).

If there are more tractors than buyers, then the question is "how many tractors can I sell at a price that is greater than my cost." That is to say, selling you a tractor with 10% off doesn't stop me selling another tractor to the next guy who walks in off the street at full price.

If there are more buyers than there are tractors, then the question is "what is the maximum profit I can make selling this tractor?" I may give you a tractor from the factory at a discounted price, because when tractors start coming from the factory I can sell as many as I want. But if you want a tractor now, then I only have the ones on the lot. And if I sell you this tractor at a discount, the next guy who is happy to pay full price, but wants a tractor right now, will go to another dealer. Selling you a tractor reduces my profit.

I think we're in the second world, so I don't think there'll be a lot of discounting for "tractor now." Tractor when they come from the factory....sure. Could be 2-3 months though.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I would suggest adding a steering wheel spinner, a hat, your operator and WS manuals in PDF form, a complete set of filters, and your first 50 hour service as part of your deal.

End of the month helps if you are negotiating with a salesperson who hasn't met quota. Negotiations at Fiscal year end for the dealership helps too. Buying a new tractor that has been sitting on the lot for 24 months helps. Paying cash will be your best price.

diesellucy

Dec 23, 2017
burton oh
I tend to disagree. I just ordered an l3901. I spoke with every dealer within 250 miles and got a price on the exact same tractor outfitted the exact same way. i had a differnt price from every dealer with the guy at the end of my road being the highest price. I toook my best price into the local dealer and dealt with the owners son and gave him the the last right of refusal. not only did he meet the price he beat it and then some and threw in some freebies. he didnt have to. The only place around that even had a machine was the furthest away. the local guy could have told me to hit the road but took the time to make a sale. now in 6 to 8 weeks i will have my new tractor at the price i wanted

Reactions: 1 users

jnschnit

Equipment
B2601, BH70 BH, LA435 FL, RCK60-32 MMM, BX2763 Blade, ZD1011
May 10, 2013
newark valley new york
I just purchased a 2601 in mid Sept., still waiting for delivery. Dealer wouldn't budge from MSRP. You can get the price by doing the build my Kubota on the Kubota website. Then deduct any incentives that may be in effect and you have the price. You can try to dicker for a lower price, if you succeed great. If not, try for extra's like others have suggested.

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
June 2020 BX23S purchase:
called the big volume dealership an hour away, they were over list on the tractor and attachments.
called the small local dealership, they were under list on everything, over $1000 less than the big guys.
Took their written quotes, didn't haggle at all.
YMMV

lilguy

Nov 7, 2011
Illinois
Im looking to trade down from a 2601 TLBMMM to a BX and they aren’t budging. The really unusual fact is they all quoted the same trade value on the 2601.

hughhead1

Equipment
TBD!
Oct 16, 2020
GA

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
New Jersey
I was looking to trade up from BX to 2601, where were you a week ago lilguy :)

I got the best price from the dealer that was a mom and pop shop about 2 hours away. I have a relationship with them from my implements. No haggling, they were 2k cheaper than my local dealer down the road. For service/repair reasons, I really wanted to buy from the local dealer, and had to discuss pricing with them to match. It's very frustrating when someone doesn't put their best foot forward to build a relationship the first time.

lilguy, I would put the 2601 on CL you will prob be surprised at the interest it will get, in my case it netted me 5k over trade in value. Well kept 2601's are very hard to come by used.