Buying Advice B2601 or L2501

psmocko

Equipment
Cub Cadet Zero Turn
Oct 20, 2020
Festus Missouri
Looking to buy my first tractor to help around the property (moving material and digging). I have 6 acres, mostly wooded and very hilly. I have been looking at the B2601 and L2501 and plan on getting a backhoe for it as well. I drove the L and thought it drove and turned nice, but I do like the features and controls of the B2601. I fear that the 1000 pounds heaver L model might be too heavy as the ground seems to stay wet and do not want to tear up my yard driving across it. Of course I want to get something big enough to get the job done but not too big either. Price seems to be right for both

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Looking to buy my first tractor to help around the property (moving material and digging). I have 6 acres, mostly wooded and very hilly. I have been looking at the B2601 and L2501 and plan on getting a backhoe for it as well. I drove the L and thought it drove and turned nice, but I do like the features and controls of the B2601. I fear that the 1000 pounds heaver L model might be too heavy as the ground seems to stay wet and do not want to tear up my yard driving across it. Of course I want to get something big enough to get the job done but not too big either. Price seems to be right for both
What is the cost breakdown between the 2 models? Have you looked at the LX models also?

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Sounds like you need to take a look at the LX (or Bxx50 series if your dealer has some). That would be the happy medium between the two models you listed. I also have some very wet property, and you are correct on the weight issue. Even a loaded B2650 (same as LX2610) can cause some ruts if you're really wet. Unloaded, it would be about 900-1000 lbs lighter than the L.

The large B50 series (LX2610, LX3310) use the same backhoe (BH77) as the smaller framed L series tractor. It's a capable backhoe with a 180 degree swing arc.

I'd suggest maybe letting us know what you intend to do with your new tractor. Are you mowing grass, food plots, pulling logs etc. That would help us with suggestions.

Best of luck to you.

Tornado

May 7, 2019
usa
Hello Psmocko, and welcome to the forums. We see this thread come up a lot - people looking at the B2601 or B2650 and trying to decide whether to go with one of those B's over the L2501. This is also the same decision I had to make in 2019 when I bought my tractor. In most every case I will always offer the same recommendation, and that is to go with the L2501. Ill lay out my case as to why here for you, and what led me to personally pick the L2501 in my own situation.

When comparing what to buy between two tractors, I think its incredibly helpful to just ask yourself what does each tractor give you over the other. If you are a visual learner, then take out a sheet of paper and make two big columns. L2501 on one side, B2601/B2650 on the other side. Start listing out what each tractor gives you that the other tractor doesn't give you. When you go through it in this way you tend to just rack up a big list with the L2501 and a much smaller list for the B series. It is my personal opinion that the B series is kind of niche in this way. In other words, one of the few pluses it has over the L2501 has to be one that carries massive weight for you in your particular situation.

What are notable pluses for the B series over the L? Well one of the biggest pluses for the B is that it offers a Mid Mount PTO (MM PTO). This is one of those things that for some people they simply must have, so if you are one of these people who really need MM pto then this obviously weights heavy to the B. Outside of the MM pto though, there really isnt any big clear feature that the B offers you that the L doesn't. So lesser pluses for the B is that it is indeed a little cheaper. It is a little smaller, but only marginally so, so little in fact that I just have a hard time understanding why people pick a B over and L simply on size difference. The only other positive thats worth noting for me was that the B has a set of features that I just group into "comfort features" such as a dash that is more digital and modern looking, a more flat floor board, where the L has the hump, arm rests on the seat typically, little quality of life features like this.

When you get to the L column though I feel like it just racks up too many positives. For just $2,000 more you get a tractor that is substantially heavier. With loader, bucket, and tires loaded, the L's weight gap is even bigger than a B with the same set up. Weight for you seems to be a negative in your consideration but in most all cases weight on a tractor is a plus - A heavier tractor will pull a lot more, and is a lot more stable when doing a lot of loader work. If you plan to ever use a harrow or plow or pull anything with the tractor you will want as much weight as possible. In addition to the weight, the L2501 has a substantially bigger engine, even though it is the same horse power on the spec sheet. The L2501 has a 100.47 cubic inch engine size, or 1.6L. The B2601 on the other hand has a 68.5 cubic inch engine size, or 1.1L. It is a substantial difference, so do not just look at both tractors as having the same power since they are both around 25 horsepower. The L2501 has a lot more low end torque and power. When coupled with its added weight, its just a much more formidable machine. This is why I chose the L2501. There is no way to make up for that weight and power difference, and in my case the price difference was hardly noticeable.

What it came down to for me was simply this: for basically the same money, I could get a much more capable working machine, or one that has a nicer dash and flat floor board. I had zero need or interest in a mid mount pto, so removing the single big plus of the B, made the decision in my case trivial. There was nothing at all I was going to gain by buying a B over an L, but a lot I was going to give up in ability. The L has all the extra muscle and weight, but its really not that much bigger. If the L was substantially larger in size I could understand the B being more attractive, but you really dont add a ton of girth and size by going up to an L. My L still lives comfortably in my car garage attached to my house. If for example the L was too large to fit in my garage or soemthing then the B would have another big plus, but it just isnt that much bigger whne you view them side by side. A few inches here, few inches there, and thats about it, but a lot more weight due to a larger engine, larger oil capacity, just a lot more metal on the L2501.

In your case it seems extra weight is being graded as a negative. So, you will have to consider that point a lot. In my case, I have never found my L2501 to put ruts in the yard here in florida with sandy soil. I would have to be in pure mud for such as that to happen. But, you know your terrain better than anyone here, so you have to consider this. Just know that by going with a lighter tractor, you may lessen ruts, but you also give up a lot for it. Dont make a decision that you may regret in 5 or 7 years when you wish you had more weight and power. I would try to find ways to minimize the rut issue without giving up so much in return. We all buy tractors to do hard work typically, and for a tractor that hard work is largely 2 things - the power and the weight of the machine. The L2501 is more substantial in both categories, so just dont overlook this in your decision. Be sure to let us know what you pick, and of course we love pictures!

Reactions: 4 users

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
I've used a B7500, B2650, and now L2501 on my yard and I don't see any difference in what effect one has on my grass more than the other. The larger tractors have larger tires which tend to offset their added weight. On my B7500 I had both R4 and R3 (turf) tires and the R4 fronts tended to cut slightly into the grass in wet conditions when making sharp turns. Also the R4's offered noticeably less traction in snow than turfs. If you want to use a mid mower deck buy the L2601 or LX2610. If you are not adding a mid mower, budget permitting, I would go with an L2501.
If you anticipate using the hoe often go with it but a backhoe is heavy and pretty expensive plus it takes up more room in your garage/car port whether it's on the tractor or not. You can always hire backhoe time, a ditch witch, or a mini-excavator for the occasional need.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I'd probably recommend the L based on what you've said.

But let me elaborate a bit on what Tornado said, as I think there are a few other times you'd prefer a B.

Firstly, you're looking B2601, not B2650/LX2610 (same machine, new number). That's more small than the L than the large frame B is. If you were looking the B2650, the things that people seem to care about are:
- weight - if you're trailering it that matters, sometimes for mowing etc
- mid PTO for snowblower or mowing
- cab (not available on L)
- comfort features as you say

There's not much in it for price really.

For your use, I think the L would be quite a bit more stable - it's wider. And it seems that you have more tractor type tasks than home and garden type tasks - if you're out in the woods and up and down hills I think the L is more of the machine for that. If you're landscaping around the house, mowing, trailering it to another property, running a snowblower, using a MMM, then the B is the machine. If you plan a cab (for hot or for cold or for bugs) then the B is the better machine.

psmocko

Equipment
Cub Cadet Zero Turn
Oct 20, 2020
Festus Missouri
Hello Psmocko, and welcome to the forums. We see this thread come up a lot - people looking at the B2601 or B2650 and trying to decide whether to go with one of those B's over the L2501. This is also the same decision I had to make in 2019 when I bought my tractor. In most every case I will always offer the same recommendation, and that is to go with the L2501. Ill lay out my case as to why here for you, and what led me to personally pick the L2501 in my own situation.

When comparing what to buy between two tractors, I think its incredibly helpful to just ask yourself what does each tractor give you over the other. If you are a visual learner, then take out a sheet of paper and make two big columns. L2501 on one side, B2601/B2650 on the other side. Start listing out what each tractor gives you that the other tractor doesn't give you. When you go through it in this way you tend to just rack up a big list with the L2501 and a much smaller list for the B series. It is my personal opinion that the B series is kind of niche in this way. In other words, one of the few pluses it has over the L2501 has to be one that carries massive weight for you in your particular situation.

What are notable pluses for the B series over the L? Well one of the biggest pluses for the B is that it offers a Mid Mount PTO (MM PTO). This is one of those things that for some people they simply must have, so if you are one of these people who really need MM pto then this obviously weights heavy to the B. Outside of the MM pto though, there really isnt any big clear feature that the B offers you that the L doesn't. So lesser pluses for the B is that it is indeed a little cheaper. It is a little smaller, but only marginally so, so little in fact that I just have a hard time understanding why people pick a B over and L simply on size difference. The only other positive thats worth noting for me was that the B has a set of features that I just group into "comfort features" such as a dash that is more digital and modern looking, a more flat floor board, where the L has the hump, arm rests on the seat typically, little quality of life features like this.

When you get to the L column though I feel like it just racks up too many positives. For just $2,000 more you get a tractor that is substantially heavier. With loader, bucket, and tires loaded, the L's weight gap is even bigger than a B with the same set up. Weight for you seems to be a negative in your consideration but in most all cases weight on a tractor is a plus - A heavier tractor will pull a lot more, and is a lot more stable when doing a lot of loader work. If you plan to ever use a harrow or plow or pull anything with the tractor you will want as much weight as possible. In addition to the weight, the L2501 has a substantially bigger engine, even though it is the same horse power on the spec sheet. The L2501 has a 100.47 cubic inch engine size, or 1.6L. The B2601 on the other hand has a 68.5 cubic inch engine size, or 1.1L. It is a substantial difference, so do not just look at both tractors as having the same power since they are both around 25 horsepower. The L2501 has a lot more low end torque and power. When coupled with its added weight, its just a much more formidable machine. This is why I chose the L2501. There is no way to make up for that weight and power difference, and in my case the price difference was hardly noticeable.

What it came down to for me was simply this: for basically the same money, I could get a much more capable working machine, or one that has a nicer dash and flat floor board. I had zero need or interest in a mid mount pto, so removing the single big plus of the B, made the decision in my case trivial. There was nothing at all I was going to gain by buying a B over an L, but a lot I was going to give up in ability. The L has all the extra muscle and weight, but its really not that much bigger. If the L was substantially larger in size I could understand the B being more attractive, but you really dont add a ton of girth and size by going up to an L. My L still lives comfortably in my car garage attached to my house. If for example the L was too large to fit in my garage or soemthing then the B would have another big plus, but it just isnt that much bigger whne you view them side by side. A few inches here, few inches there, and thats about it, but a lot more weight due to a larger engine, larger oil capacity, just a lot more metal on the L2501.

In your case it seems extra weight is being graded as a negative. So, you will have to consider that point a lot. In my case, I have never found my L2501 to put ruts in the yard here in florida with sandy soil. I would have to be in pure mud for such as that to happen. But, you know your terrain better than anyone here, so you have to consider this. Just know that by going with a lighter tractor, you may lessen ruts, but you also give up a lot for it. Dont make a decision that you may regret in 5 or 7 years when you wish you had more weight and power. I would try to find ways to minimize the rut issue without giving up so much in return. We all buy tractors to do hard work typically, and for a tractor that hard work is largely 2 things - the power and the weight of the machine. The L2501 is more substantial in both categories, so just dont overlook this in your decision. Be sure to let us know what you pick, and of course we love pictures!
Thanks for a great breakdown. Sounds like the L is the pest way to go then.

psmocko

Equipment
Cub Cadet Zero Turn
Oct 20, 2020
Festus Missouri
Sounds like you need to take a look at the LX (or Bxx50 series if your dealer has some). That would be the happy medium between the two models you listed. I also have some very wet property, and you are correct on the weight issue. Even a loaded B2650 (same as LX2610) can cause some ruts if you're really wet. Unloaded, it would be about 900-1000 lbs lighter than the L.

The large B50 series (LX2610, LX3310) use the same backhoe (BH77) as the smaller framed L series tractor. It's a capable backhoe with a 180 degree swing arc.

I'd suggest maybe letting us know what you intend to do with your new tractor. Are you mowing grass, food plots, pulling logs etc. That would help us with suggestions.

Best of luck to you.
Mostly moving material, digging, moving rocks (some pretty big), and maintenance of the property. It is very hilly and mostly wooded. A lot of work for me alone so I need some help.

bx tractorjoe

Equipment
kubota l2501 upgraded from a bx23s john deere 670 husquarvana huv 4421 gxp
Jun 3, 2020
loxahatchee flordia
I also went with the l2501 over the b series.. i probably would of went with the lx but my dealer was saying it was 3 or 4 month wait!

What I wanted most is the mm pto for a belly mower.. but the rear finish mower has its benefits, but also downfalls.. like mowing next to a fence.. or having to remove it to use other rear attachments..

One of my bigger uses for my tractor is mowing soo.. weight is not really a problem.. and the added lifting capacity is really nice and the 1.6l engine has yet to seem overworked even when mowing heavy thick grass

Last edited:

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Mostly moving material, digging, moving rocks (some pretty big), and maintenance of the property. It is very hilly and mostly wooded. A lot of work for me alone so I need some help.
The L will definately work better on hills. One of the reasons I went from a B2650 to the L2501 was stability, they're about the same height but the L's rear tire width is about 6" wider, in addition I added 2" spacers to get to 62" and the L's 66" bucket still covers the tracks.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Good decision on the L2501, you will appreciate its size and weight as you use it. Make sure you think about front and rear hydraulics, loaded rear tires. A must have is the telescopic rear stabilizers on the 3pt arms (under $200). Good luck with your new tractor.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Good decision on the L2501, you will appreciate its size and weight as you use it. Make sure you think about front and rear hydraulics, loaded rear tires. A must have is the telescopic rear stabilizers on the 3pt arms (under $200). Good luck with your new tractor.
I wouldn't necessarily advise loading up the tires on a L2501 on hilly terrain. For one the OP is already concerned with the L's additional 1,000 pounds on his yard. Another reason is it'll tax the 25hp engine even more when going up hills, especially if pulling a mower or cutter.
I agree now's the time to think about if you'll have need for hydraulics up at the front (say for a grapple), or rear, and have it installed before delivery. Extendable rear links will be helpful every time you change an implement. Or better yet might be a Quickhitch. Kubota has rebates on up to two implements, the loader will be one, you can count a LP Quickhitch as the second and it'll cost almost nothing.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Another reason is it'll tax the 25hp engine even more when going up hills, especially if pulling a mower or cutter.
The beauty of loaded tires......... it applies zero weight to the tractor itself - all the weight is applied to the ground and the tractor does not carry any of it.
Now going up a hill - true the tractor must pull those loaded tires up - but as it rolls the liquid simply rolls backward with each turn of the tire, yes there is drag, but minimal.

I will tell you this - you can really feel the effect of ballast in a tire IF you travel in the highest range or gear over nice smooth terrain. The tractor will hop like a rabbit, the liquid cannot move smoothly around the tire, rather it is now rotating in a not so perfect orbit!

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Absolutely load the tires. The 2501 will power it just fine and the ballast helps stability a lot.
I wouldn't load the tires on a B2501, the money would better be spent on 2" rear spacers if stability is a concern. A $300 ballast box is far more effective than filled tires to counterbalance the FEL *and* unlike filled tires the weight's removable for the many times you don't want it there such as when powering any rear implement, working on turf, traveling up grade, remember this tractor with loader, implements, etc. is heavy and it only puts out 25HP. No need to saddle it with an extra 400 pounds to carry around IMO. There's also the hassle of dealing with a punctured tire that's filled up with liquid.