Buying a rear blade for a Kubota L4060

muttbarker

Equipment
Kubota L4060 HST, Snowblower, FEL, Rear Blade, 60" Grapple, 6' Bush Hog, Forks
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Very new to the tractoring world so looking for a little advice. As stated above I have a Kubota L4060 and want to buy a rear blade for it. I have a couple of (hopefully) quick questions. The first is regarding the blade size.

The L4060 has a base width of 60" and the wheelbase is 72" My dealer is recommending a Land Pride RB2684 which is 84" wide. Is that a good size for this tractor width?

My second question is about hydraulics. I am going to use the blade primarily for snow clearance and for smoothing out some dirt now and then. Is it worth buying the rear hydraulics if this was the only attachment I would be using them on?

Thank you!
Kevin Barker

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
It's always a good idea to have rear remotes - And 84" is a good size for your tractor I'd probably get a 96" it should handle it no problem in the snow.

Reactions: 1 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Very new to the tractoring world so looking for a little advice. As stated above I have a Kubota L4060 and want to buy a rear blade for it. I have a couple of (hopefully) quick questions. The first is regarding the blade size.

The L4060 has a base width of 60" and the wheelbase is 72" My dealer is recommending a Land Pride RB2684 which is 84" wide. Is that a good size for this tractor width?

My second question is about hydraulics. I am going to use the blade primarily for snow clearance and for smoothing out some dirt now and then. Is it worth buying the rear hydraulics if this was the only attachment I would be using them on?

Thank you!
Kevin Barker
IMO every tractor should have at least one remote. You will quickly find a use for it beyond the blade.
A rear blade can actually benefit from three remotes - top, tilt, and angle.
Kubota OEM remotes are nicely integrated but pricey - somewhere between $2000 and $2300 for three valves on a L4060HSTC. A single valve will run you half of that.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico

Thank you!
Kevin Barker
I would go with a 7’ blade for your 40 hp tractor. Whatever blade you get, manual or hydraulic, make sure that it will offset.

Reactions: 1 users

steveh

Equipment
Kubota L4701, forks, Land Pride rear blade, Wallenstein splitter
Dec 1, 2020
Rocky Mountains
The 72" will be too narrow. The blade needs to be wider than the wheelbase 'cause the blade will usually be angled and the edges of the blade will then not extend to the outside of the rear wheels.

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Ummm..... With you being in the lower part of the state, and not the pan handle Flat Head area, you might be able to get by using a rear blade.. And I presume a front snow blower (?)....

Up here I have a 6' rear blade on a 4'6" wide tractor foot print.. It works well for the first couple snows, but will soon get overwhelmed and I switch to the 3 point snow blower... Good luck...

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
The 72" will be too narrow. The blade needs to be wider than the wheelbase 'cause the blade will usually be angled and the edges of the blade will then not extend to the outside of the rear wheels.
An offset blade will deal with that issue. I wasn’t sure how a 40 hp tractor would handle a 8’ blade. I have a 8’ blade for my 60 hp MX and it likewise has a 72” wheel width. It is a perfect size for that width tractor. But if the tractor hp won’t handle it in deep snow or moving material, a 7’ with offset should work fine.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio

Thank you!
Kevin Barker
I have an LP with hydraulics…it was a dealer buyback but a great price…anyway it’s challenging to hook up as it saggs…I have a QH but it doesn’t seem to like when it is titled….so I’d be sure where you can park it. I plan to build a fixture of sorts to hold it squarely where the QH can back up to dock it. As is if not lined up properly it’s a pain. I suspect a manual would be the same if not on level ground. Hopefully someone chime in here and tell me how to hook up easily. Just be aware. The hydraulics are great but I use most every 4 letter word and a couple others to get it hooked up. There is nothing quick about the way it hitches. 😂…at least not for his hillbilly. It seems to me if the pipe it rests on had another one and the other side it would help. Please advise all. Thanks.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I have a rear blade I have tried to use on an old Alis Chalmers and have found it frustratingly ineffective . If I were purchasing a new tractor and was going to perform blade work I would without ever having had them "invest" in the remotes. When you sell or trade the tractor they will retain some value and make your desired goal obtainable. Without them your results might be similar to mine. Good luck.

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I have an LP with hydraulics…it was a dealer buyback but a great price…anyway it’s challenging to hook up as it saggs…I have a QH but it doesn’t seem to like when it is titled….so I’d be sure where you can park it. I plan to build a fixture of sorts to hold it squarely where the QH can back up to dock it. As is if not lined up properly it’s a pain. I suspect a manual would be the same if not on level ground. Hopefully someone chime in here and tell me how to hook up easily. Just be aware. The hydraulics are great but I use most every 4 letter word and a couple others to get it hooked up. There is nothing quick about the way it hitches. 😂…at least not for his hillbilly. It seems to me if the pipe it rests on had another one and the other side it would help. Please advise all. Thanks.
My L3800 has a 6' EA 6 way tilt blade at almost 500lbs. I have found the top and tilt + Pat's Easy change makes attaching a breeze. I never get the blade dropped level where I store it.
To the op, unless your land is really flat a hydraulic tilt is a game changer.

jyoutz

Equipment
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
If you can find telescoping lift arms for your tractor, I like them better than a quick hitch. I don’t have hydraulics. The telescoping arms are a huge game changer.

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Ummm..... With you being in the lower part of the state, and not the pan handle Flat Head area, you might be able to get by using a rear blade.. And I presume a front snow blower (?)....

Up here I have a 6' rear blade on a 4'6" wide tractor foot print.. It works well for the first couple snows, but will soon get overwhelmed and I switch to the 3 point snow blower... Good luck...
Thx - I do have a 74" front mounted snowblower. Don't have the blade yet, hence my questions. The tractor and the blower arrived well the property got 3 - 4 feet of snow so it has been a struggle. I have a ¾ mile road I am clearing. Ended up using my excavator to break through the snow / ice mix, chunk it up and then blow it. No bucket yet either due to the horrible supply chain backlog.

Last edited:

muttbarker

Equipment
Jan 24, 2022
Oakley, Utah
Only my second post and both times the responses reinforce my understanding of how ignorant I am to the world of tractors (and snow). Thanks to all for the great replies. The blade I am looking at has a 12" offset and based on the comment about horsepower I will stick with it (84" on a 72" wheelbase).

Still struggling to understand all the complexities / variables of hydraulics but it does sound like a worthwhile investment. One more thing for next year.

I love Northern Utah but as a lifetime Southern California city guy it is a big change. My wife and I have a saying "It's not bad, it's just different" and boy is that the truth.

Attachments

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO

Thank you!
Kevin Barker
You want a rear blade width such that when you angle it your cut still covers the width of the rear tires. This is usually around a foot or 2 extra width.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I'll be the contrarian and say that there are some cons to getting the biggest blade you can find. Owner's manual recommends max of 72 inches for the L60 tractors. I had to take into consideration how much space I had to park the tractor plus blade combination, and opted for something a little smaller. More important if you have a swivel type attachment to angle your blade, you may find it useful to turn the blade around 180 degrees to do certain areas like lawn or concrete where you don't want it to dig in. Too long a blade and it won't go past the rear tires and you will have to take it off the tractor to reverse it. These blades are heavy.

Even if the tracks aren't covered, it is quite functional to scrape with the blade offset and angled. Two passes and it's done.

Reactions: 3 users

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Thanks for posting the pictures... It makes it much easier to know what you are dealing with there..

It was my experience with a front blower you learn to appreciate a good packed base to work from..

The advantage of a 3 pt blower is you have the FEL to break things up so you can blow it back... Good luck..

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I have a 96" plow and rear blade with my L3560HSTC and have had that for 8 years now. Never have I had any problems with size and power. I use them in conjunction with each other, the plow clears the brunt of the snow and the rear blade cleans up the tailings nicely.

Attachments

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: I have a rear blade I have tried to use on an old Alis Chalmers and have found it frustratingly ineffective

really, what model ? I've had my D-14s for 2 decades, GREAT at pushing snow across the street.hehehe.
Have to understand a 'rear blade' is designed for dirt NOT snow, so 'adjustments' have to be made.

I gave up on the rear blade 3-4 years ago, old body don't like twisting anymore. Front mtd snowblower is much easier !

jajiu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560 HSTC, Grader, Backhoe, Snow Plow, Pallet Forks
Jun 5, 2016
Rowley, Massachusetts
I've broken that damn pipe stand off so many times I'm tired of fixing or replacing it! I now just use a jack stand and if I pull away and forget it, it just lays over on the ground.

• Haha

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
I've broken that damn pipe stand off so many times I'm tired of fixing or replacing it! I now just use a jack stand and if I pull away and forget it, it just lays over on the ground.
My haha 😂 above is called schadenfrued…of course I believe German is only language with that word…my last name in title above. I am sorry buddy but I have been there. Glad I am not only one. When spring thaw comes and mud season over I have a countermeasure. 🥃

Last edited:
  • Love