Buying a B2301 with attachment and recommendations

greg86z28

Equipment
B2601
May 17, 2020
South Central Wisconsin
Thank you and I appreciate the guidance.
I will have to swing by and try the BX again.
Hopefully my local dealer will be able to match the prices from the neighboring state.
As for the Deere, the lowest I have been able to get is at 24k for a 1025R, with the auto deck, quick attach loader/bucket, filled tires, block heater and snow pusher. That's from 3 different JD dealers.
Why I went the Kubota route and came here for the help.
That's an insane price on the 1025R.

My local dealer had me at 23k out the door for a 1025R with loader, backhoe and drive over deck. But who knows, that was in April, maybe COVID and supply/demand has changed that.

Again - don't settle with a BX if you think you'll be disappointed when you get it home. It's most important to feel good about your machine.

But really think hard/write down what your tasks are and figure out what machine you need. For example, if you need to unload 1000 lb pallets of chicken feed from a pickup truck on a weekly basis, the BX simply wont be able to do that and would be the wrong machine to buy. But make some sort of list like that of the common tasks you need to do (not the "what if" or "unicorn" tasks either) to make sure your purchase, whatever it ends up being, fits the tasks and makes you happy.

I don't recall you snow pusher reasoning, but I run a front snowblower on my John Deere 332 garden tractor and love it. We have a longer driveway and a large pad at the top to clear - the snowblower works great. The only issue for me is it's sort of hard to justify the expensive blower for the Kubota with the amount of snow we get (south central WI).

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
I will need to move snow and I to have a long driveway plus the pad on the side of the house. Also remove the snow for my neighbors and all have the long driveway.
I have tried both the plow and pusher and really liked both options. Just do not want the bigger cost of a new snow blower for the tractor.
Crazy that Minnesota tractor prices are so much higher! I do not get that at all.

Oliver

Equipment
L2501, JD 3520
Feb 2, 2011
Preston County, WV
Good to know on the mud factor. I did not have much luck with my turf tires for any traction at all on my 320.
I wonder if the R14 will be the best of both worlds.
How would the 60" be that much better for the mmm? Even with uneven terrain?
Thanks for advice 👍🏻
Other than R1's I don't think any are that good in mud, but with 4wd unless it's deep mud or really steep you can generally get through. Yes from what I've seen I would try the R14's they seem to offer some of the best of both R4 and R3's.

Having owned 54", 72", and 60", I find 60" to be the sweet spot. The 54" on my B7500 made it difficult to trim close with and wished I'd gone with the 60" with its 3 extra inches out each side. The 72" on my B2650 did have a tendency to scalp high spots. The 61" on my ZTR doesn't scalp on my very rough ground like the 72" did, yet projects out enough that it's easy to get close to things. Price is almost the same, B2601 has plenty of power for a 60" deck, allowing for 4" overlap you'll cut 56" with the 60" deck and 50" with the 54".

Not a B but here's a Messick video on 54 vs 60" deck on a BX.

Reactions: 1 user

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
Other than R1's I don't think any are that good in mud, but with 4wd unless it's deep mud or really steep you can generally get through. Yes from what I've seen I would try the R14's they seem to offer some of the best of both R4 and R3's.

Having owned 54", 72", and 60", I find 60" to be the sweet spot. The 54" on my B7500 made it difficult to trim close with and wished I'd gone with the 60" with its 3 extra inches out each side. The 72" on my B2650 did have a tendency to scalp high spots. The 61" on my ZTR doesn't scalp on my very rough ground like the 72" did, yet projects out enough that it's easy to get close to things. Price is almost the same, B2601 has plenty of power for a 60" deck, allowing for 4" overlap you'll cut 56" with the 60" deck and 50" with the 54".

Not a B but here's a Messick video on 54 vs 60" deck on a BX.
Thank you
The 60 will just squeeze into my shed. Just measured since that will be the tightest spot. I think it’ right around 68” or 69” wide.

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Your uses are mowing and snow removal, I would comment that turf tires are a good solution if your ground is generally flat and you have 4x4. I have an L series with turfs and use it for lawn, snow and woodland / ag use. I’m impressed how turf tires do all round, if you load them even better for snow and off lawn use, I never use chains on my turfs in the winter and run it on sloped ground fine. I went round and round on tire selection for this use but am surprised and happy with turfs.

dneal

Equipment
B2601
Jun 24, 2020
Missouri
I was kind of in your boat, and upgraded from a Massey SCUT (GC1710) to a B2601. There are a few reasons, but the lack of position control on the Massey's 3 point was the primary one. If you look at a scut, Deere is about the only one with position control. If you do any work regularly with the 3 point, you might find the quarter-inching valve to be a pain. I did.

PTO horsepower is also something to consider. If you're going with a 2301, what's the upcharge for the 2601? The little extra will help you if you decide to add a stump grinder or wood chipper, for example. I use both of those, a roto-tiller, and a brush hog. The Massey will run them, but it's close to its limit. I like the 2 or so extra PTO HP. Doesn't seem like a lot, but it makes a difference.

1.Since I have had a mmm but getting bored with it, what are your thoughts on a rear finish mower versus a mmm. Can you drive in reverse with mmm mower?
I chose to not go with the mmm. I can buy a nice zero-turn for that. A mmm would be easier to use than a rear finish, but the rear finish could be used on a different tractor if you ever trade. Looking at your pictures, the trees would push me toward a mmm between the two; but a zero turn would probably be better.

2. Wheel spacers, should I get them and if so will I need front and rear? How are the factory installed style? Or go aftermarket?
Check the owner's manual. I don't believe Kubota recommends using spacers. Your property looks relatively flat. The spacers are just adding a little side stability for inclines.

3. Heavy Hitch Bar, BX Expanded Piranha Bar or the EA Wicked bar?
Depends on application. Heavy hitch if you're predominately breaking dirt. Either of the others if you're predominately pushing brush.

4. A Grapple or those new Bone Crusher style without the hydraulics? Seeing if anyone has used the Bone Crusher style before?
I went with the grapple with hydraulics. More versatility in future potential applications.

5. How are the Land Pride snow pushers?
Don't know. I use a rear blade. I prefer to move snow to the side. I can use the bucket to push it forward.

6. How much weight do you recommend for rear ballast? Considering a rear weight bracket since it will make things easier in the winter for the size for turning?
Lots of locust thorns (and a backhoe) kept me from putting ballast in my tires, but that might be the best solution for you. When the backhoe isn't on, I keep a box blade or stump grinder on the 3-point for ballast. It depends on how much weight you'll be carrying in the loader. I move gravel and dirt occasionally, and haven't had an issue.

For turning, the B you're looking at has split brakes. When the loader (or snowpusher) is making the front end light and preventing you from turning, the split brakes help.

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
As an owner of a BX2370 and B2650, I would recommend the B2301, 3 range transmission and a true positional 3 point hitch (more useful than new tractor owners realize). Also the 2301 can be outfitted with self leveling loader (great for storing stuff on pallets and racks.

Biggest advantage of BX, low height - easier to mount/dismount. I mow with loader on and can jump off to toss sticks, rocks, ect into bucket and continue mowing.

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
Thank you
Good call on the bungee cord!
Forgot about the split brakes on the B series.
More things for me to think about.

has anyone used the edge tamers on their FEL for leaf pick up in the fall?

MPM1979

Equipment
B2650 w/loader, BB1260 Blade, LR1660 Rake, FDR1660 mower
Apr 9, 2020
SE Michigan
Hey Tractortime, Nubie here. My tractor came with R4's in April because my dealer could not get the R14's. They finally showed up last week so I haven't had a lot of time to use them. The tread pattern appears it will be a good all around option. I attached the info I received from the local Goodyear rep when I was looking for a second opinion than that of the dealer. Good luck on the tractor purchase.

Attachments

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
Hey Tractortime, Nubie here. My tractor came with R4's in April because my dealer could not get the R14's. They finally showed up last week so I haven't had a lot of time to use them. The tread pattern appears it will be a good all around option. I attached the info I received from the local Goodyear rep when I was looking for a second opinion than that of the dealer. Good luck on the tractor purchase.
Thank you
Nice looking tire and chart there!
I appreciate all the feedback

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
But make some sort of list like that of the common tasks you need to do (not the "what if" or "unicorn" tasks either) to make sure your purchase, whatever it ends up being, fits the tasks and makes you happy.
I agree, but don't lose sight of the "makes you happy." If you're in doubt and you buy the BX, you'll be unhappy every time you do something that is a bit beyond the BX capability. If you're in doubt and you buy the B, I'm struggling to think when you'd regret it, because it's really not that much bigger of a machine that you'd not be able to fit somewhere that a BX can fit. So really it's only down to money - if you can't afford the B then buy the BX. If you can afford the B, then buy it and never look back.

Reactions: 1 users

n4bme

Jan 9, 2017
Wolf Creek, OR
I may be a little late to the conversation but I've had my B2301 for about 4 years now. The only real difference between the B2301 and B2601 are the size of the tires on the rear. My salesman told me that it's the same engine with a different spec applied giving it a little boost but not much. My dealer orders B2301 with the larger rear tires essentally giving everyone a 2601 for the price of a 2301 and the cost of the tires. I have the Land Pride Grading Plane which seems to work well. It will be paid for this year and it was money well spent.

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
My salesman told me that it's the same engine with a different spec applied giving it a little boost but not much.
The B2301 has a D1005 engine (1001cc), the B2601 has a D1105 (1123cc).

I believe the B2301 engine is the same as the BX2680, so as you say it is a derated 26HP engine, but just not the 26HP engine that's used in the B2601. Or, to be more clear, the BX line is rated at about 3300RPM, the B01 line is rated at 2800RPM. I think the same engine (the D1005) is making 23HP at 2800RPM, 26HP at 3300RPM.

Last edited:

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN
The B2301 has a D1005 engine (1001cc), the B2601 has a D1101 (1123cc).

I believe the B2301 engine is the same as the BX2680, so as you say it is a derated 26HP engine, but just not the 26HP engine that's used in the B2601. Or, to be more clear, the BX line is rated at about 3300RPM, the B01 line is rated at 2800RPM. I think the same engine (the D1005) is making 23HP at 2800RPM, 26HP at 3300RPM.
Not late to the party. Just waiting for the right deal to present it’s self.
Thank you for something else to consider with the bigger tires.

Workerbee

Equipment
Zd21
Mar 1, 2020
MN

Not mine, and no affiliation, just noticed it when browsing today. It seems like a fairly good savings for you, if slightly used interests you at all. Its not that far from the twin cities.

TractorTimeAdventure

Equipment
B2601
Jun 17, 2020
Hastings, MN

Not mine, and no affiliation, just noticed it when browsing today. It seems like a fairly good savings for you, if slightly used interests you at all. Its not that far from the twin cities.
Thank you
Why I really enjoy this group!
I will have to consider that route.